Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:50 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times

Advertisements

The Rockies are massive compared to the Sierra NEvadas but they are close in beauty. I would take the Colorado Rockies over them though. Diversity wise though any mountain range in Arizona, California, New MExico or Utah would have colorado beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubWyoming View Post
Great post about the Geologic formation. Please compare the Rockies to Sierras. Which are older?
That's a complicated question, really. In terms of what we see today, the Rockies are older, having finished 'growing' about 40 million years ago, at the end of the Laramide orogeny (a term which means time of mountain building). At this point, they are in the process of being worn down by the forces of erosion. They could be considered a middle aged mountain range.

The Sierras, while composed of 100 million year old granite, only started 'growing' (with regards to their modern form) about 4 million years ago, as crustal extension in the region forced the lighter igneous rock to rise. They are still growing rapidly (in geologic terms), and are a relatively young mountain range, which will continue getting taller into the foreseeable future.

Compare both of these ranges to the Appalachians, which began forming roughly 480 million years ago and were once as high as the Himalayas, though now barely top 6,000 feet, and are a very old mountain range.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
Whichever one you pick, I don't think it's possible to disrespect the other one. I mean, both are beautiful. I'd probably pick the rockies but I drove the the sierras and they are amazing. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the climate might be a little more mild in the sierras but I'd take either one. But I still haven't seen any mountains I don't like.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Whichever one you pick, I don't think it's possible to disrespect the other one. I mean, both are beautiful. I'd probably pick the rockies but I drove the the sierras and they are amazing. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the climate might be a little more mild in the sierras but I'd take either one. But I still haven't seen any mountains I don't like.
I think the climate in the Sierras is more mild in some respects, and more extreme in others. The temperatures probably have smaller variations between absolute highs and lows (because the Rockies are further away from the nearest ocean), but they don't see the snow fall totals that the Sierras do (for the same reason). The growing season is longer in the Sierras, and the winter 'wetter', which means that the biomes are a bit more productive (denser vegetation, taller trees, denser animal populations).

Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I think the climate in the Sierras is more mild in some respects, and more extreme in others. The temperatures probably have smaller variations between absolute highs and lows (because the Rockies are further away from the nearest ocean), but they don't see the snow fall totals that the Sierras do (for the same reason). The growing season is longer in the Sierras, and the winter 'wetter', which means that the biomes are a bit more productive (denser vegetation, taller trees, denser animal populations).
That's my understanding as well. The snowfalls in the Sierra are wet and heavy due to the higher water content and generally warmer winter temps than the Rockies. The close proximity of the Pacific ocean moderates the weather and temps in the Sierra for a warmer climate elevation-wise than the Rockies. The Rocky Mts get more influence of Canadian air masses which means colder and lighter-weight snow; better powder for skiing

Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times
"The Rockies are massive compared to the Sierra NEvadas but they are close in beauty. I would take the Colorado Rockies over them though. Diversity wise though any mountain range in Arizona, California, New MExico or Utah would have colorado beat."

You TRULY know not what you speak!!!!!! Colorado has MORE and MORE Diverse Mountains than the states you mentioned! Try out the San Juans for proof of this! Or better yet visit them all like I have and than reply!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,371 times
John Muir would of said The Range of Light

Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I started an exact same threads a couple of years back. I think the Sierras might be even more spectacular, some people choose the Rockies because they're bigger/better known.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
...The Sierra Nevada mountains are higher; Mt Whitney at 14,550 feet is the tallest U.S. mountain outside Alaska. The Sierra Nevada mountains have the oldest trees in the world; "Methuselah" (almost 4,800 years old), a Great Basin Bristlecone Pine. And the largest\ tallest trees in the world are also located in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Lake Tahoe, is the largest alpine lake in America and the second deepest lake. ... On the highest peaks is the oldest tree in the world
Really like this photo.

From reply / post #19

I can find this kind of trunk look in Crater Lake NP, but not as big, old and gnarly. Will have to go down farther south someday with the wide angle lens and polarizer. Redwoods are my faves to photograph, but the old and twisted could be equally as enjoyable for photography.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
Has anyone seen the Discovery Planet series Planet Earth? The episode on Mountains stated that the Sierra Nevada is a baby and that one day it will rival the Himalayas. On the other hand, the Rockies is an older range and is currently in the process of crumbling.

That said this won't happen for millions of years so we have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City