U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 9,643,320 times

Advertisements

Some of the tobacco farming areas are hit pretty hard too,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,267,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in Michigan and people do take pictures of the poverty here. Our states misfortune has become a national joke on late night TV. The internet has sites that are dedicated to showing pictures of the "ruins of Detroit" I feel your pain, Appalachia has suffered from stereotypes as well, but dont think we dont get hammered by the rest of the nation too. Our state has become the national standard for poverty and failure. At least most Appalachian states are on the rise, unlike us who are on the steep decline. Much of the midwest has become Americas hasbeen and Michigan is the center of it all.
I think Michigan is more associated to failure, but Appalachia to endemic/generational poverty.

Looking through Clay County, Kentucky again "Big Creek" looks to have a poverty rate that's quite high.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Big-Creek-Kentucky.html

In Jackson County, Kentucky McKee is even higher in poverty.

http://www.city-data.com/city/McKee-Kentucky.html

Then some of the poorest places in America are rural and black parts of the South. Clio, Alabama is not as poor as the two Appalachian towns above, but it is 40% poor and majority black. (It's also low in crime to fit with another thread)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Clio-Alabama.html

Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
I spent most of my life in southeastern Kentucky and i identify with the song Harlan . I was born and raised 20 miles from Harlan . My father was a 3rd generation KY coal miner. It is true there are plenty of shacks plenty of poor desperate people. I don't look down upon the area its home . The people are amazing strong and proud to be what they are. But it is a sad place i miss it and i don't . A large part of the population depends on government assistance . Their are no jobs to be had it honestly takes a miracle or a death to luck into a good job. Something as small as a gas station job rarely becomes available . Crimes such as murders in my area are rare but drugs are rampant. Drug related crimes such as burglary happen as a result. Thats the worst problem of the area now . But it is oh so lovely the view from Cumberland mountain could stop your heart. Pound gap's "ravens rock" was amazing when I was a kid but the strip mines have ruined that . But i do disagree about West Virginia comparing to KY i have been in every hollow in at least 4 counties of southeastern KY . West Virginia is paradise compared (i live near Charleston WV now) . Though Boone county WV might be close its still mecca compared . Although today i did see i rather large shanty house in west Hamlin Wv.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM

686 posts, read 1,478,828 times
much of Central PA is another appalachian area pretty poor itself.

you could include the southern tier region of upstate NY which is also appalachia and has quite a bit of poverty as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
It is better to live poor with family values and religion than to live rich and not be able to enjoy your money or family cuz you're working all the time.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 804 times
I can see this thread is very old. I'm still hoping for a reply, though. I retired in '03 after 37 years of teaching in Florida. After 11 years of bridge, canasta and luncheons, I'm bored! surely there are more stimulating activities. I'm considering a move to a place called Robinsville, NC. Do they have pharmacies there and could I find a teaching position?

Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,695,995 times
Eastern Kentucky has the greatest poverty in the Appalachians, but there is pretty consistent poverty through most of the range, all the way from PA south to AL.

But yeah, probably Eastern KY, most of WV, and small parts of SE Ohio, SW PA, Eastern TN, Western NC, SW VA, have lots of poverty.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,647,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciHam View Post
I can see this thread is very old. I'm still hoping for a reply, though. I retired in '03 after 37 years of teaching in Florida. After 11 years of bridge, canasta and luncheons, I'm bored! surely there are more stimulating activities. I'm considering a move to a place called Robinsville, NC. Do they have pharmacies there and could I find a teaching position?
Hi NanciH, you should probably go to the North Carolina forum and repost your question as a "New Thread", they will be able to help you out. This thread won't really answer your question. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 681,464 times
In Maine if you're not at a ski resort and you're in the mountains its pretty "Rustic", the Adirondacks in New York have some pretty poor and remote areas.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,397,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciHam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Hi NanciH, you should probably go to the North Carolina forum and repost your question as a "New Thread", they will be able to help you out. This thread won't really answer your question. Good luck.
NanciH, in addition to what Bobilee said, if your interested in an area you might want to use vacation time to check the Robinsville area out. There is nothing like seeing it first hand for yourself.

Its interesting, I have relatives in Florida and they sometimes talk about moving to the mountains of North Carolina also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or