U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,216,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
No, it was not simply declining business. When Nordstrom opened downtown, it was the only Nordstrom in the area. Then, Nordstrom opened a second location near the affluent suburbs and the one downtown didn't keep enough clients to stay open. That's because most of the clients live closer to the Fashion Mall and choose to shop there. Indianapolis is not really a large enough market to support two Nordstrom stores. Apparently neither is Charlotte, since they only have one.

Did I say people in Charlotte only go to "one mall"? I believe I said "the mall" in reference to the fact that its sad that there is an argument going on about what mall is the biggest. I guess I should have said malls....
In the papers, and every online article there is about the downtown Nordstrom closing states the reason as "decline of business". I'm sure you work for Nordstrom and know the exact reason the store closed over what was released, right? If the argument you're trying to put up is which mall is the biggest, it's still Charlotte lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,935,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
In the papers, and every online article there is about the downtown Nordstrom closing states the reason as "decline of business". I'm sure you work for Nordstrom and know the exact reason the store closed over what was released, right? If the argument you're trying to put up is which mall is the biggest, it's still Charlotte lol.
I guess my sarcasm isn't understood. I never said Indy had a bigger mall than Charlotte. I was just making fun of the fact that people are arguing over what malls are bigger. And of course there's a decline in business, they built a second store!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
In the papers, and every online article there is about the downtown Nordstrom closing states the reason as "decline of business". I'm sure you work for Nordstrom and know the exact reason the store closed over what was released, right?
I don't think he's denying this as the reason behind the closure of the downtown Nordstrom, but he's giving context. A newer one opened closer to the clientele and Indy isn't large enough to support two Nordstroms. But it seems like the company should have known this.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,685,743 times
Quote:
SouthPark is the largest mall in the Carolina's with 1,621,000 sq.ft. followed by Hanes with 1,558,860 sq. ft.

SouthPark is #2.

Concord Mills has 1,750,000 sq ft. it is #1.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 AM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
SouthPark is #2.

Concord Mills has 1,750,000 sq ft. it is #1.
"At 1.4 million square feet, Concord Mills ranks second to SouthPark as the Charlotte region's largest shopping center." Ann Taylor Factory opens at Concord Mills mall - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I guess my sarcasm isn't understood. I never said Indy had a bigger mall than Charlotte. I was just making fun of the fact that people are arguing over what malls are bigger. And of course there's a decline in business, they built a second store!
I understand what you're saying, but building a second store in a city doesn't necessarily give a reason to close. You have to think of all the malls that have two Macy's and such.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"At 1.4 million square feet, Concord Mills ranks second to SouthPark as the Charlotte region's largest shopping center." Ann Taylor Factory opens at Concord Mills mall - Charlotte Business Journal
Thank you.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,163,793 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but building a second store in a city doesn't necessarily give a reason to close. You have to think of all the malls that have two Macy's and such.
There's a nordstrom and a nordstrom rack both on the north side. The downtown location could not ne sustained with the bulk of their clientele being on the same side as two stores. At that point they would be depending strictly on tourists to sustain itself.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,935,413 times
Quote:
Macy's and Nordstrom are not the same. Indianapolis supports three Macy's because it's a lower quality store. A city with the wealth and population of Indianapolis simply cannot support two high-end department stores of the same brand like Nordstrom. I guess there are two Von Maur's in Indy, but they are still a couple steps below Nordstrom.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
There's a nordstrom and a nordstrom rack both on the north side. The downtown location could not ne sustained with the bulk of their clientele being on the same side as two stores. At that point they would be depending strictly on tourists to sustain itself.
The stores were on different sides of the city, so I don't see what you're getting at...
& btw, Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack in Charlotte are 5 miles away from each other.

But we're done with this subject on Charlotte/Indianapolis.

Last edited by fltonc12; 09-25-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or