U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
For one, because Toronto's skyline doesn't stretch along the lake, like Chicago's, but away from it. that's going to make it a little less appealing from the get-go. It just looks nicer to have the skyline stretch across the lakefront as opposed to start on it and move inland.

If you ever see a picture of Toronto from the water (and most of the skyline shots are from there), you'll know what I'm talking about.
woops i thought you were just talking about the cities, not the skylines. my b

Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM

926 posts, read 1,282,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
For one, because Toronto's skyline doesn't stretch along the lake, like Chicago's, but away from it. that's going to make it a little less appealing from the get-go. It just looks nicer to have the skyline stretch across the lakefront as opposed to start on it and move inland.

If you ever see a picture of Toronto from the water (and most of the skyline shots are from there), you'll know what I'm talking about.
I agree, and I think TO's skyline is under-rated because of its layout. Most pics from Lake Ontario show only a small portion of the skyline...but when you go to the top of CN Tower and look down, it's a sea of modern medium-sized skyscrapers. Very impressive, actually.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 AM

604 posts, read 1,628,697 times
Last april i visited Chicago with my dad because i had been wanting to go there for years. He thought it was just gonna be a little nicer than toronto but he was blown away. I definitley think one of the reasons is because millenium park. From there you can see the skyline, the lake and are in a museum almost, of modern art.
My cousin also said that he was surprised how big chicago is, and that it made toronto seem small.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 PM

184 posts, read 498,166 times
Chicago is by far superior than Toronto. Chicago's skyline is ranked among the best in the world and honestly I think it's absurd to compare The Geat Chicago Skyline to San Francisco. You guys who actually think San Francisco's skyline is better than Chicago's you have not been to Chicago. Please visit Chicago first then suggest. By the way, San Francisco is ok and the only good thing about it is the density. Period.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 46,612 times
San Francisco skyline is kinda weak while chicago skyline is amazing.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,065,225 times
Chicagos skyline is beautiful and San Frans is also beautiful but Chicagos is better IMO

by Sven Goelles from Panoramio.com

by Daniel Meyer from Panoramio.com

by Alberto Mayer from Panoramio.com

San Francisco

by Julia Wahl from Panoramio.com

by Ludwig Franz from Panoramio.com

by snoww from Panoramio.com

Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM

180 posts, read 527,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago has a much bigger and nicer skyline.

But San Francisco is more recognizable worldwide.

Yes, Chicago has a bigger skyline but San Frans. skyline is not more "recognizable" worldwide. There are certain aspects of San Fransisco that are very, VERY recognizable but overall, it isn't more than the whole of Chicago's skyline. The skyline of Chicago has been, and continues to be, shown on TV shows, news reports, etc. Plus, the "top" of Chicago's skyline is easily more accessible than that of San Fransisco. That goes a long way when you consider just the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) SkyDeck alone attracts over 1.3 million visitors a year. And that's just one of two SkyDecks in Chicago!

Plus, Chicago O'Hare is a much larger airport and a more "International" gateway for American and United Airlines respectively. That can make it more recognizable in and of itself. Keep in mind now, Chicago has been rated an Alpha World City due to its international influence, reach, and importance.

I do have to admit though as a photographer of skylines, San Fransisco is just gorgeous! The city is amazingly dense and the overwhelming type of architecture is very unique!

As for Toronto. It's another stunning skyline too! Shame its skyline doesn't stretch down the lake like Chicago's. It does fan out on and close to the lake, but it extends down Yonge Street like crazy!!! Pretty amazing to see if you are on one of the bluffs that are kind of east, northeast of downtown around the Don Valley Parkway.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 7,886,407 times
I agree that Chicago definitely wins on the skyline...but here are some more angles of SF anyways, some of my favorites:

View from McLaren park:

SF and Oakland's Skylines:

I think this view is probably from the Berkeley Hills:

View from Alameda:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4936/2008alameda063cd4.jpg (broken link)

Not as impressive as Chicago, but certainly not pathetic as some people are saying.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM

672 posts, read 1,497,394 times
I stand by the opinion that SF easily has the more recognizable skyline, especially Internationally.

Victorian Row/Skyline - Must be San Francisco
Big Red Bridge - Must be San Francisco
Big Pointy Building - Must be San Francisco

Take a look at Chicago and I'm no so sure what city it is. Is it big, tall, beautiful. Absolutely! - but recognizable, not so much. Especially Internationally.
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago Skyline vs. San Francisco Skyline.-2660453737_96c12a4435_o.jpg   Chicago Skyline vs. San Francisco Skyline.-430689153_55c443de61_o.jpg   Chicago Skyline vs. San Francisco Skyline.-399142084_8181aaf1fb_o.jpg  

Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times
hrrmmm I probably posted on this already but... SF is definitely pretty... Chicago blows SF away though in size, height, architectural quality...I was just in Chicago again for a month and it is Much MUCH bigger...and the height up close or looking down streets can induce mild vertigo symptoms as well as neck cramps looking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or