U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 PM

612 posts, read 1,588,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I'm sorry to here that you're bored. I assume you're stuck there?
Lol yes. It is probably boring because this city really caters to families and there is a lack of real entertainment. All of my friends are in college (most of them luckily are out of state). I'm 19 working a blue-collar job and going to college. Everytime I start getting ready to move something comes up. I almost moved to Dallas last year but my friend that I was moving with got a DUI. I couldn't afford to move by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,374,079 times
Quote:
It is also theoretically possible to be a politician and not corrupt.
This has no real correlation with my statement.

Its entirely possible for a longtime resident of the Oakland Hills to have no personal experience with the hood whatsoever. I personally know many people who know nothing about the flatlands. Its hillarious really.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,460,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This has no real correlation with my statement.

Its entirely possible for a longtime resident of the Oakland Hills to have no personal experience with the hood whatsoever. I personally know many people who know nothing about the flatlands. Its hillarious really.
Well, actually you missed the point. The idea is not: I can live in Detroit without ever seeing the ghetto or be mugged. The point is that many people don't want to have to live in an area that has high crime because they would have to stay in the few nice areas. Oakland has a lot of crime and slums; I have no doubt that you can avoid them if you want, but to many of us, we'd rather have a city with minimal crime and slums and would rather not be forced to stay in a confined area. Thus, I think it was more of your statement that had no real correlation with my post.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Well, actually you missed the point. The idea is not: I can live in Detroit without ever seeing the ghetto or be mugged. The point is that many people don't want to have to live in an area that has high crime because they would have to stay in the few nice areas. Oakland has a lot of crime and slums; I have no doubt that you can avoid them if you want, but to many of us, we'd rather have a city with minimal crime and slums and would rather not be forced to stay in a confined area.
Actually the reason why many Oaklanders dont know the ghetto or crime is that there are so many areas that exist relatively untouched by either. In fact, Id say darn near half of Oakland's land mass is where rich and upper middle class live.

Lets see,
125,000 rich/upper middle class have about 27 square miles(and boy is it a spectacular 27 square miles)

275,000 middle/lower class have about 27 square miles

Under that scenario, who seems be in 'confined areas'?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually the reason why many Oaklanders dont know the ghetto or crime is that there are so many areas that exist relatively untouched by either. In fact, Id say darn near half of Oakland's land mass is where rich and upper middle class live.

Lets see,
125,000 rich/upper middle class have about 27 square miles(and boy is it a spectacular 27 square miles)

275,000 middle/lower class have about 27 square miles

Under that scenario, who seems be in 'confined areas'?
(1) This thread was never meant to be about whether or not it is possible to avoid crime or not in any particular city.

(2) BTW, this map of crime in Oakland within the past day shows it spread out over most of the city. There is only one significant section that is free of it.

Oakland Crimespotting: Map

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,772,148 times
1) Miami
2) Phoenix
3) Orlando
4) Las Vegas
5) Los Angeles

These 5 cities have no redeeming qualities that would make me ever want to move to any of them (although I might add that LA has some very nice culture and beautiful areas, but overall the negatives are too much to overcome)

Old 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
1) Miami
2) Phoenix
3) Orlando
4) Las Vegas
5) Los Angeles

These 5 cities have no redeeming qualities that would make me ever want to move to any of them (although I might add that LA has some very nice culture and beautiful areas, but overall the negatives are too much to overcome)
Interesting that every one else seems to want to move to the cities you've listed!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
(1) This thread was never meant to be about whether or not it is possible to avoid crime or not in any particular city.
Perhaps but every city has crime and ghettos. And just as you can avoid them in cities you think are livable, the same can be done in Oakland.

Quote:
(2) BTW, this map of crime in Oakland within the past day shows it spread out over most of the city. There is only one significant section that is free of it.

Oakland Crimespotting: Map
Actually if you take a closer look, a huge chunk of Oakland has virtually no crime. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if the Oakland Hills, population 125,000 would probably rank among the safest cities in the country were it a separate municipality.

For 125,000 people, your map shows 8 thefts, 1 vandalism,3 vehicle thefts and 1 robbery. Heck that downright suburban.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,965,521 times
Quote:
1) Miami
2) Phoenix
3) Orlando
4) Las Vegas
5) Los Angeles

LA is a global city and one of the biggest in the world. It's 2nd only to NYC in the US. Nice culture & beautiful areas is just the tip of the iceberg in its "redeeming qualities". I was just waiting for someone to say LA though. You'd really rather live in, say, Detroit over LA?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM

5,362 posts, read 7,096,231 times
Quote:
1) Miami
2) Phoenix
3) Orlando
4) Las Vegas
5) Los Angeles

Every city has redeeming qualities. Perhaps if you open your eyes and see that it is the people who make up these cities, and you take the opportunity to get to know them before making generalizations, you'll change your tune. The times one spends with friends and new acquaintances in any city is irreplaceable, and much more important than brick and mortar (or stucco).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or