U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,740,752 times

Advertisements

Detroit-- yikes. Weather, economic despair.
Cleveland-- same, a little less despair but still....
Philadelphia-- my least favorite eastern city.
Boston-- just not a place I ever enjoyed, so living there almost certainly wouldn't be a good idea
St. Louis-- I list this one very reluctantly, because my wife and her family are from there, but familiarity hasn't made me like it any more. I'm not going to go into the reasons why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM

7,335 posts, read 8,991,221 times
Default I agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The worst weather is 95 degrees with 95% humidity with bugs swarming your head in the summer.

I'll take all of those, minus Detroit, over Ft.Myers. FM is one of the most dangerous areas in the country. Bad heat and dangerous? No thank you.
...COMPLETELY, although I would take even Detroit over Ft. Myers, as long as I could live just outside the city...

95 degrees, 95 % humidity, bugs, and then you find out that the power has gone out in your neighborhood, and you'll be up all night, sweating....that's just an awful combination...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 PM

29 posts, read 29,273 times
1akland
2:detroit
3:los angeles
4:las vegas
5hoenix

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,384,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The worst weather is 95 degrees with 95% humidity with bugs swarming your head in the summer.

I'll take all of those, minus Detroit, over Ft.Myers. FM is one of the most dangerous areas in the country. Bad heat and dangerous? No thank you.
We all have our own opinions.

I was born and raised in South TX..... Fort Myers is not "hot and humid" to me like it is to Northerners. It's familiar.

I was forced to live in Detroit for a period of a few years, and I was exposed to that sort of weather for the first time in my life. I vastly prefer the heat and humidity to that. I got out of Detroit as soon as I could, and at the time FL was the better bet over TX, so I came down.

I've enjoyed every moment down here. But I realize FL isn't for everyone.

As for danger, I've never felt unsafe in Fort Myers..... I'm sure some parts of FM are bad, but that's true of any city of any size.....

Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM

1,734 posts, read 4,943,122 times
1. I will NEVER live in San Francisco
2. El Paso
3. Atlanta
4. Boston
5. Cleveland

Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM

300 posts, read 811,130 times
1) Detroit No explanation needed
2) NYC - Population
3) Chicago - I do live here so I know from experience: Weather, rude people, corruption, sales tax(includes cook county).
4) Atlanta - not my cup of tea
5) Houston - crime, humidity

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM

4,095 posts, read 7,202,737 times
Tulsa
Albuquerque
Detroit
Birmingham
Cleveland

Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,235,124 times
Mine? This is based on places I actually have visited for more than five hours.

1. Detroit (Sad what has happened there)
2. Buffalo (Another dying city with brutal, brutal winters)
3. Minneapolis (Cool town half the year. Too damned cold the other half)
4. Atlanta (I just don't like sitting in traffic for hours at a time)
5. Los Angeles (Beautiful in places. An overcrowded, smoggy, ugly place in most)
5b. Las Vegas (Just a depressing place)

Five that have bad raps by people who have never visited, but are really pretty great places:

1. Philly
2. Baltimore
3. Birmingham
4. Oakland
5. Cleveland

By this, driving through on the Interstate or spending one night in a Hampton Inn off the beaten track do not count. Actually spend some time in a place before criticizing.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM

31,588 posts, read 53,140,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Five that have bad raps by people who have never visited, but are really pretty great places:

1. Philly
2. Baltimore
3. Birmingham
4. Oakland
5. Cleveland

By this, driving through on the Interstate or spending one night in a Hampton Inn off the beaten track do not count. Actually spend some time in a place before criticizing.
THANK YOU

Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Detroit-- yikes. Weather, economic despair.
Cleveland-- same, a little less despair but still....
Philadelphia-- my least favorite eastern city.
Boston-- just not a place I ever enjoyed, so living there almost certainly wouldn't be a good idea
St. Louis-- I list this one very reluctantly, because my wife and her family are from there, but familiarity hasn't made me like it any more. I'm not going to go into the reasons why.
Yeah, it sucks here. I think I'm going to move to Columbia, Missouri

LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or