U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,409,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
chicago lacks culture to me, dosen't have anything exciting, is probally boring as hell.
As if anyone needed further confirmation that you've never set foot inside Chicago, your "probably" gave you away. Not that it needs defending, but Chicago is one of the preeminent cities in this country--and that includes being one of the country's richest cultural centers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:16 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,390,228 times
Quote:
Chicago is unappealing I would never live there. Chicago is this wanna be cool city. Seriously I rather live in india than live in chicago. chicago lacks culture to me, dosen't have anything exciting, is probally boring as hell. and on top of that vastly overrated and sits in the middle of scenic nowhere.
Dude, you could not be more wrong. Chicago is not any of the things you describe at all.

You would rather live in India than Chicago? Really? Ive been to India, grew up in LA, and lived in Chicago. Inida is the last place on that list I would want to live. If you move to India, bring your diarrhea medicine. You will be needing it.

I love LA, but as a city, Chicago is a nicer city and more cultural. The weather just sucks.

You would have to be super lazy to think Chicago is boring.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:18 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,115,674 times

Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,507,862 times
Quote:
I know people allways spew out of there ass and do things out of spite. Really I was just putting up a good word for LA. People can never say anything nice about it.
I was probably a little rough on LA; LA positives: great weather, I'm sure there is excitement with the whole celebrity culture, interesting places nearby (close to mountains, ocean, desert), great restaurants, and likely a lot of other stuff I'm overlooking.

While I certainly would not want to ever live in LA (topic of this thread) I didn't mean to bash LA, -- I was just responding to the topic. Apologies if I offended.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,390,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I was probably a little rough on LA; LA positives: great weather, I'm sure there is excitement with the whole celebrity culture, interesting places nearby (close to mountains, ocean, desert), great restaurants, and likely a lot of other stuff I'm overlooking.
Your absolutely right about weather. Also its quite a laid back and accpeting place no matter who you are (Hollywood types aside). Also LA is an amazingly diverse city. You have so many different people from so many different places. The landscape in LA cant be beat either. Mountains, Ocean, and Desert all in the same place.

However, the celebrity culture sucks. I hate it. The whole "youre not important if you dont know someone important" culture kills me. I hate Hollywood and the movie industry with a passion. Ive watched it change otherwise normal people into pretentious and dramatic snobs. Most natives try to keep away from it and do our own thing. I grew up in the South Bay (first in El Segundo, then in Torrance). It was nice because we got the diversity, weather, and environment, without haveing to deal with the crap in that Im talking about.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM

805 posts, read 2,128,989 times
ugh just forget about what I said about Chicago. I've never been there your right so I can't make lame statements. My real targets are the Chicago poster that just irk me, but I mean nothing toward the actually city of Chicago which is probably a really great city, heck I'll never know hopefully someday I'll get to visit the windy city and see Wrigley field, Chicago river, Sears...Er Willis tower, and so on, so sorry if I offended anyone (I have a tendency to do that).

Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,860,180 times
Quote:
ugh just forget about what I said about Chicago. I've never been there your right so I can't make lame statements. My real targets are the Chicago poster that just irk me, but I mean nothing toward the actually city of Chicago which is probably a really great city, heck I'll never know hopefully someday I'll get to visit the windy city and see Wrigley field, Chicago river, Sears...Er Willis tower, and so on, so sorry if I offended anyone (I have a tendency to do that).
It is a great city...I've been a couple of times and loved it. I've also been to L.A. a few times and loved it there too. It's really only bitter people in online forums who have all of this hatred and envy for other cities.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,381,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dude, you could not be more wrong. Chicago is not any of the things you describe at all.

You would rather live in India than Chicago? Really? Ive been to India, grew up in LA, and lived in Chicago. Inida is the last place on that list I would want to live. If you move to India, bring your diarrhea medicine. You will be needing it.

I love LA, but as a city, Chicago is a nicer city and more cultural. The weather just sucks.

You would have to be super lazy to think Chicago is boring.
I agree Chicago is a beautiful city that sits on Lake Michigan and the city has plenty of culture, like LA native stated the winter weather sucks.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM

805 posts, read 2,128,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It is a great city...I've been a couple of times and loved it. I've also been to L.A. a few times and loved it there too. It's really only bitter people in online forums who have all of this hatred and envy for other cities.

That's nice to hear and yes so true with the bitter people, including me.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 PM

20,413 posts, read 21,945,835 times
This "celebrity culture" thing in LA is ridiculous--you can easily opt out of it if you want. LA is far more than celebrities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or