U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 12:42 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,482,478 times

Advertisements

What are the 5 biggest cities in the country? I do kinda feel that way, but there are some others I'd hate worse to live in...

Houston
Miami
New Orleans
Detroit
Chicago

Wow, 5 just isn't enough...it's hard for me to quantify some levels of distaste/dislike/hatred/revulsion, but the results are the same...some places I just wouldn't want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,187,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I'd hardly consider 3 of the five cities you posted to be "major" enough to have passionate hate for, although I don't know too much about Middleton (I'm assuming you're talking about Connecticut?).
you CLEARLY missied his joke. Look at his blog name and you can figure it out. He is saying he hates all of the Cincy area. Period.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Now matter how much I made, I would just be depressed living in any of the following;

-Detroit
-Cleveland
-Las Vegas
-Salt Lake City
-[Insert Deep South city* here]

*north of FL, south of NC, except ATL

Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,810,834 times
Well someone said to comment you need to have spent more than 2 weeks there, there are only 2 cities I would not move to based on that criteria (of which all top ten in terms of population I have spent more than 2 weeks in) would be

strong #1 Houston
second Atlanta

Think I would move anyplace else

Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM

12 posts, read 20,205 times
scranton pa? haha thats not a metro area..unless if you live in the middle of nowhere and 40,000 people is alot?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM

521 posts, read 1,115,406 times
1) Dallas -- just not my kind of town; same goes for the other major towns of Texas.

2) Detroit -- doesn't seem fair that people are beating up on Detroit while it's down, but heck, I wouldn't want to live there even if it was booming!

3) Miami and any other city in Florida

4) Salt Lake City -- I'd probably feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere! lol

5) Nashville -- not into country music or other Southern things.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM

300 posts, read 778,666 times
1. Miami
2. New Orleans
3. Detroit(Only in its current state. If some day it becomes a booming city with a thriving economy then I would probably enjoy living there.)
4. Phoenix
5. Salt lake city

Last edited by Darkhyperchaos; 01-25-2010 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,448,676 times
I have more than 5 that are all equal, because I would not want to live in any of them but each one has a couple redeeming qualities that are different from the others.

I guess I would mostly avoid the most isolated cities with the worst extreme weather, hot or cold, where I have no ties to any friends or family and I am too far from them...

So, a short list of 5:

Minneapolis - isolated with bitter winters
Oklahoma City - isolated with extremes in weather plus tornados
Houston - isolated with extreme humidity and heat
Atlanta - isolated with extreme humidity and heat
Detroit - bitter winters and really bad city

Some of the others that were in the running - basically tied with all the above:
Buffalo/Rochester, Chicago, Raleigh, Milwaukee, Des Moines, Kansas City, Dallas, St. Louis

I'd make exceptions for some of them, though, but generally I never want to live in any of those cities.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,334,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanstonBorn View Post
For me, any Rust Belt city.

So I would not want to live in:

1. Chicago
2. Milwaukee
3. Detroit
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cleveland
That's interesting. I always think of large swaths of Chicago as having nothing to do with the Rust Belt. Sure, if you live in Hammond, Ind., that's the Rust Belt. But not Naperville or Northbrook. May I ask what specifically bugs you about these cities?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,521,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
That's interesting. I always think of large swaths of Chicago as having nothing to do with the Rust Belt. Sure, if you live in Hammond, Ind., that's the Rust Belt. But not Naperville or Northbrook. May I ask what specifically bugs you about these cities?
Dementor is a Chicago basher. He can't give you a logical answer as to why he hates the city, so don't bother asking. He'll also will be banned within 24 hours.

Mine are

1 Houston, or Texas for that matter.
2. Phoenix (happy AZLiam?)
3. Indianapolis
4. Anything in Ohio (Columbus, Cleveland, etc.)
5. L.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or