Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
1. Detroit, MI (Horrible winters, rampant crime, corrupt politics, poverty/blight/misery everywhere)

2. Minneapolis, MN (Horrible winters, very liberal politics, many immigration problems)

3. Milwaukee, WI (Horrible winters, dull and uninteresting - I do like the area's German heritage though, but that can be found all over Wisconsin)

4. New York City, NY (Cold weather, massive overpopulation and overdevelopment, pollution, arrogant people)

5. Los Angeles, CA (Overrated central, ridiculous liberalism, rampant illegal immigration, fake people living in a fake paradise)

I would take the cities in the South, the Southwest, the Pacific Northwest, and even those in northern New England (ME, VT, NH) over the cities in the Midwest, the Mid-Atlantic, or California any day of the week.
I'm curious, why would someone so concerned with illegal immigration "take" the cities in the South or Southwest "over" the cities in the north? Have you ever actually been to Atlanta or Phoenix?

If you want the least Mexican major city possible, try Pittsburgh. I'm not being smarmy -- I think Pittsburgh is one of the best cities in the country. It would make more sense than going to a southern or southwestern city that you feel might "take a hard line" with illegal immigration, but has a huge population of illegal immigrants anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I'm curious, why would someone so concerned with illegal immigration "take" the cities in the South or Southwest "over" the cities in the north? Have you ever actually been to Atlanta or Phoenix?

If you want the least Mexican major city possible, try Pittsburgh. I'm not being smarmy -- I think Pittsburgh is one of the best cities in the country. It would make more sense than going to a southern or southwestern city that you feel might "take a hard line" with illegal immigration, but has a huge population of illegal immigrants anyway.
The illegal immigration problem isnt actally all that grave in Atlanta compared to other cities in the Southwest (Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles), Miami, and Chicago. Illegal immigration is alot more obvious in those places.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
1. Las Vegas
2. Atlanta
3. Miami
4. Detroit
5. Houston

Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
For Me Personally:

1. Detroit (nuff said)
2. Memphis (see Detroit)
3. Salt Lake City (been there done that. Although the city was very pretty the whole Mormon culture thing is very tough to deal with there if you are not Mormon.)
4. Indianapolis (kind of boring)
5. Miami (fun city to visit don't get me wrong, but unless I was fluent in spanish and willing to put up with the crime down there just no way it is going to happen.)
Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It must not be too boring, because it will be the site of Super Bowl 47 in 2012. You need to get out more. Indy has come a very long way since I grew up there in the 80s. I'm proud of the improvements Indy has made. In fact, I would find the other cities to be even more 'boring' than Indy.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Have you ever been to Indianapolis? It must not be too boring, because it will be the site of Super Bowl 47 in 2012. You need to get out more. Indy has come a very long way since I grew up there in the 80s. I'm proud of the improvements Indy has made. In fact, I would find the other cities to be even more 'boring' than Indy.
I am not fond of Indianapolis myself, it is a very plain city, and overall just a dump. The neighborhoods have no character and it is overall just depressing and boring IMO. Others may disagree, as I am sure you do because it is your hometown.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Top 5 of the 50 major cities (Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com) I would not live in:
Atlanta
Detroit
Cleveland
New Orleans
Memphis

I could list more, but those are ones I could quickly point out.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
LOL x 1000, you should take this comedy act on the road.

Indianapolis is more exciting than Miami, Detroit, SLC, and Memphis??? Miami is one of the top nightlife cities in the world and an international tourist destination. Memphis has one of the best nightlife districts in the US in the form of Beale Street. SLC has the Wasatch Mountains and all the outdoor activities they provide. Hell, even Detroit seems more exciting than Indianapolis, at least they have the MGM Grand downtown.

FYI, hosting a Super Bowl doesn't mean your city isn't boring. Case in point being Super Bowl XXXIX, which was held in Jacksonville.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I'd go out on a limb here and say I'd rather be in Indianapolis than Detroit, Salt Lake City or Memphis. Don't know about visiting, but I'd probably rather live in Indy than in Miami too for that matter.

I'm sure I could find something to do there. The people who are in a large city like that and say they're bored - I tend to think it's more a problem with the people than the city. That's surely the case here in Houston, for those who think there's nothing to do.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

I'm concerned, but it's not my top priority. I have no more tolerance for the cold weather, and at this point, I'd rather live in Mexico than Minnesota

I've been to Atlanta, as well as Pittsburgh; never been to Phoenix. I know about the severe problems with illegal immigration that exist in Arizona and New Mexico (as well as Texas and southern California).

Pittsburgh's a nice city - I actually prefer it to Philadelphia as I find it a bit more friendly and less superficial, but Pennsylvania to live is not my cup of tea. I would sooner take Arizona, with all its current problems.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'd go out on a limb here and say I'd rather be in Indianapolis than Detroit, Salt Lake City or Memphis. Don't know about visiting, but I'd probably rather live in Indy than in Miami too for that matter.

I'm sure I could find something to do there. The people who are in a large city like that and say they're bored - I tend to think it's more a problem with the people than the city. That's surely the case here in Houston, for those who think there's nothing to do.
Given those choices, I'm not sure. I'd take Indianapolis over Detroit in a heartbeat. I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. Because Detroit is more "interesting"? Based on what? And even if it had more attractions, those things don't matter when you are living somewhere. Safety is an important concern, and I'm no prude, but Detroit is a warzone in many areas.

I'd take Indianapolis over Salt Lake City as well, although I'm not too informed about Salt Lake City, and that probably has more to do with my preferring Indiana over Utah as a whole.

As for Memphis, I don't know. I'd much rather live in Tennessee than Indiana (although I like Indiana for a Northern state and feel it is underrated), but I would take Knoxville, Nashville, or Chattanooga over Memphis due to demographics and crime issues, despite Memphis' rich cultural history.

I feel Indianapolis and Indiana in general are unfairly maligned in this forum and tend to have a lot of detractors in comparison to Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. I would say that Indiana receives almost as many negative remarks as Michigan, which seems a bit screwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City