U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM

21,202 posts, read 33,171,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
It's not boring. KC has all the amenities plus some of any city it's size.

Yes, maybe it is boring compared to NY, LA, or Chicago, but it's hardly a boring average sized city.
If you're a steak or BBQ lover, it's definitely not boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,911,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
I would never live

1. Houston - Too Ugly for me, its flat hot and boring I would rather die than go to Houston
Then why were you in the Houston forum yesterday saying you were planning to move there?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:42 PM

756 posts, read 1,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Keeps the number of bugs down. Besides, in downtown Minneapolis they have a cool skywalk system that allows you to get around without having to face the elements.
There is nothing cool about freezing temperatures, it's COLD. Guess I am too healthy and conerned with exercise to live up north.
But hey, if eating Chicago pizza and hot dogs until you keel over and have a heart attack is your thing, enjoy.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,510,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
There is nothing cool about freezing temperatures, it's COLD. Guess I am too healthy and conerned with exercise to live up north.
But hey, if eating Chicago pizza and hot dogs until you keel over and have a heart attack is your thing, enjoy.
Uh, you do realize that many folks in colder climates exercise and eat healthy diets, don't you?? There are plenty of obese people in warm-weather cities.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,307,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, you do realize that many folks in colder climates exercise and eat healthy diets, don't you?? There are plenty of obese people in warm-weather cities.
In fact, the obesity rates in "cold" places like the Northeast, Colorado, and Washington are LOWER than the obesity rates in the South. I just saw a graphic of obesity rates by state and cannot find it to post here.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 7,110,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Let me first start off by saying that the intent of this thread is not to bash other cities. Personally, I find all major American cities interesting. However, there are undoubtedly places that do not appeal to me as a place to live. Therefore, if your city is mentioned, please don't be too offended.
With that being said, what cities would you least like to live in (city proper)?

My top 5 (or bottom 5) would be:

(1) Detroit
(2) Oakland, CA
(3) Kansas City
(4) Minneapolis
(5) Jacksonville
In no particular order they are: NYC, New Orleans, Memphis, L.A., and Detroit

Old 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,272,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
You would be suprised. It is much much easier to excersize in 20 degree weather than 80 and above with humidity anyday. You put on an extra layer, and your body is warm from excersizing. Even if you go for a jog when the temps are in the teens you would be shocked by how nice it is, and you still sweat.

I said this on another thread. There have been a lot of southerners posting in threads lately that all us northeners do is sit around eat chilli dogs, and get fat in the winter. The human body acclimates very easily, and most of us are use to it. You may find 30 to be very cold, as do northerners in the beginning of winter. However, at the end of winter 30 degrees seems normal as the body has acclimated. Just because it is cold doesn't mean people don't go out to walk their dogs, go hiking, skiing, jogging, biking, etc.

Cold weather isn't hard to defeat when you got things called winter clothes. All you do is put on an extra layer and you are fine. When it is 90 and humid all you can do is sit in a pool or air conditioning.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 PM

692 posts, read 2,378,872 times
How about 5 pairs ?

1. Detroit and Chicago - Crime
2. Phoenix and Las Vegas - Heat
3. SLC and Oklahoma city - Too Conservative
4. Atlanta and New Orleans - Heat/Humidity
5. Minneapolis and Milwaukee - Cold

Obviously other cities have similar issues and some of these cities
have more issues than these.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:26 PM

81 posts, read 199,636 times
My list:

Any city not in southern California, southern Arizona or southern New Mexico.

Everywhere else is either too cold or too humid.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM

160 posts, read 457,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
I would never live

1. Houston - Too Ugly for me, its flat hot and boring I would rather die than go to Houston
2. Detroit - **** hole of America right after Houston
3. Atlanta - too ghetto, overrated
4. New Orleans - Hurricane Prone
Atlanta doesn't really belong. It does have some really nice aspects, although I do think it's more ghetto and overrated than people like to admit.

Detroit is a sad-case, much potential, but lacking in many ways. Could be fixed, but probably will not be.....

The other two are pretty much nasty lost cause cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or