Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Assuming you're talking about the sunbelt, the sunbelt is where the jobs and opportunities are (were(before the recession)?), therefore they experience high growth. That doesn't necessarily the people will enjoy these cities by any means. They are used to a completely different environment, and going to this new one most likely will seem worse in their minds.
But you're not gonna move to a city you think is god-awful, just because the economy isn't allowing you to survive in your current city. These "terrible" cities had to have other things that attract people besides the jobs. And for the 1st time, wasn't just talking about Sunbelt cities, I'm even seeing people put cities like NYC on there list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM

924 posts, read 1,644,101 times
New York City
Detroit
Boston
Cleveland
Cincinnati

I live in Ohio, so I have a hate bias towards the cities in my state, but I really do hate them.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Most people posting negative comments about city X have probably never even been there, and only follow public opinion and rhetoric.
No need to get all butt hurt kiddo, everyone has their opinions.

I found Indianapolis OK. It'd be fun to spend a weekend there, but I don't think I could live there. Nonetheless, it deserves better for me than the 5 worst.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
No need to get all butt hurt kiddo, everyone has their opinions.

I found Indianapolis OK. It'd be fun to spend a weekend there, but I don't think I could live there. Nonetheless, it deserves better for me than the 5 worst.
While I agree that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, krock1dk's observation was on the money. There is a propensity within city-data to jump on the bandwagon when disucssing certain cities and regions, and we all know that many/most of the jumping comes from members who have not actually experienced the cities/regions in question.

I think that most people don't have any problem with individual opinions, but not when those opinions are based on hearsay.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
While I agree that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, krock1dk's observation was on the money. There is a propensity within city-data to jump on the bandwagon when disucssing certain cities and regions, and we all know that many/most of the jumping comes from members who have not actually experienced the cities/regions in question.

I think that most people don't have any problem with individual opinions, but not when those opinions are based on hearsay.
I'd say it's more based off of hometown pride rather than belief in hearsay

I speak for myself when I say that I've been to all the cities I've listed. Have I experienced everything great about the cities so as to make a complete analysis? Nope, I gathered that list from my limited experience.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,610 times
1. Los Angeles
2. New York City (just too crowded for my taste)
3. Houston (too hot)
4. Atlanta (see above)
5. Pheonix (see 4 and 5)

Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
I'd say it's more based off of hometown pride rather than belief in hearsay

I speak for myself when I say that I've been to all the cities I've listed. Have I experienced everything great about the cities so as to make a complete analysis? Nope, I gathered that list from my limited experience.
Same here...I don't make specific comments about cities that I haven't experienced. I guess a lot of the opinions about certain cities are based on perception - real or imaginary.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default I agree with that poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But you're not gonna move to a city you think is god-awful, just because the economy isn't allowing you to survive in your current city. These "terrible" cities had to have other things that attract people besides the jobs. And for the 1st time, wasn't just talking about Sunbelt cities, I'm even seeing people put cities like NYC on there list.
Money and jobs CAN be the only reason. Plus, that doesn't mean there is going to be anything else that you like about the place.

I can agree that not everyone is going to like NYC. Just as not everyone is going to like these Sunbelt cities either; money and jobs notwithstanding. When a place is so alien to where you were before, all the money in the world isn't going to make up for it.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Money and jobs CAN be the only reason. Plus, that doesn't mean there is going to be anything else that you like about the place.

I can agree that not everyone is going to like NYC. Just as not everyone is going to like these Sunbelt cities either; money and jobs notwithstanding. When a place is so alien to where you were before, all the money in the world isn't going to make up for it.
I agree with this. Because on peoples list I see NYC, LA, Miami, etc, etc. ALOT of people like these cities. But it comes down to personal preference. And if you're REALLY hell-bent on hating a place, you're not gonna move there, no matter HOW BAD the economic situation is in your current city. It's funny, my last post was actually DEFENDING NYC.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
New York City
Detroit
Boston
Cleveland
Cincinnati

I live in Ohio, so I have a hate bias towards the cities in my state, but I really do hate them.
I love 4 of the cities you listed

And I guess you are a youngin', you said 18? So you probably haven't experienced much of all the cities you listed... at all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City