Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

269 posts, read 469,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Can gays openly hold hands in any area of Texas? I don't think so. You have to remember that there's another aspect of personal freedom, which is feeling socially free.
You haven't even set foot in this state. I live here and can tell you that this is a normal sight and people couldn't care less. I was driving home from dinner in Montrose last weekend and saw a group of about 4 men in assless chaps walking down the street holding hands. I think they felt pretty socially free, wouldn't you say?

It may not be as open and accepted as in other states, but don't state such a matter of fact opinion when you have no experience to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Can gays openly hold hands in any area of Texas? I don't think so. You have to remember that there's another aspect of personal freedom, which is feeling socially free.
That's pretty silly given that pretty much all the major cities have a gayborhood or boy's town. Also, there are certainly parts of NYC (let alone the rest of New York) where simply holding hands or even "looking gay" will get you more than stares and glares.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
You haven't even set foot in this state. I live here and can tell you that this is a normal sight and people couldn't care less. I was driving home from dinner in Montrose last weekend and saw a group of about 4 men in assless chaps walking down the street holding hands. I think they felt pretty socially free, wouldn't you say?

It may not be as open and accepted as in other states, but don't state such a matter of fact opinion when you have no experience to back it up.

Maybe in 2 cities in Texas, but it's an awfully big state.

If it had that much personal freedom, how come they haven't legalized gay marriage? I think Texas will be one of the last states to do that.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's pretty silly given that pretty much all the major cities have a gayborhood or boy's town. Also, there are certainly parts of NYC (let alone the rest of New York) where simply holding hands or even "looking gay" will get you more than stares and glares.

I don't notice anyone giving a second look to gay people in any section of the city I've been in. What parts are you talking about?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Truly you jest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I grew up in Greenwich Village in the 1950s. Seeing gays kissing, nevermind hold hands, was not an uncommon occurence.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM

My sister is gay and lived in south Florida for 4 months. She said she didn't feel that comfortable at all being with her girlfriend. And this is south Florida...imagine how it is in Texas.

The Texas Cloverleaf: Being Gay In Fort Worth Is No Laughing Matter

Sad story! A small town Texas mayor had to resign for being gay... | AfterEllen.com

Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
Actually the Dallas/FW metro has a higher percentage of gays and lesbians than the NYC metro. With numbers like that, one would have to believe they feel, socially speaking.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Actually the Dallas/FW metro has a higher percentage of gays and lesbians than the NYC metro. With numbers like that, one would have to believe they feel, socially speaking.
Provide a link to prove this.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:55 PM

269 posts, read 469,064 times
Quote:

If it had that much personal freedom, how come they haven't legalized gay marriage? I think Texas will be one of the last states to do that.
No, I would bet that the same could be said for San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Austin. Those are pretty large cities which include a huge portion of the population of Texas. Are you telling me that in the ENTIRE state of New York, a gay couple can hold hands on the street and feel just fine? I highly doubt that.

However, this was not the argument. You said "Can gays openly hold hands in any area of Texas? I don't think so."

Of course Texas will be among the last to legalise gay marriage. It has a large religious/conservative population. It's sad, but that doesn't mean gay people can not live comfortably here and be accepted. California just upheld the gay marriage ban - are you going to sit there and say that gay people are not accepted in California and have no freedom?

Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:

I don't know, in my "podunk" town of 200,000, it's not all that uncommon to see gay couples. My high school principal is gay, and the new freeway in town is being named after an openly gay woman. It's not a liberal college town by any means, it's more of a "live and let live" attitude. Yet further proof you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-26-2009 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City