U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Not so fast.
Ok, so thats your "experience". Mine has pretty much been the opposite as far as West Coast transplants are concerned. Almost all of the ones I know (just like me) are liberal or moderate transplants who tend to vote blue. The evidence is in the change in voting patterns. The DFW area is becoming more blue, not more red.

Now, do you have any evidence to support your claims?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,832,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im going to try to restore some sanity here. Here is my two cents:

Where I think Dallas excells:

Its more diverse
There is a larger variety of types of food (expecially ethnic) for dining (overall I think the food is better in Dallas as well)
The economy is stronger
The traffic isnt as bad
More transplants from the West Coast, Midwest, and International immigrants

Where I think Atlanta excells:

There are more really cool neighborhoods with character
The creative dining scene is better
Its much prettier
There is more to door outdoors
Its a bigger intellectual and education center
More transplants from the Northeast and Florida

Where they are similar:

Both have huge and vibrant gay communities (though Atlanta has a slight edge)
They are both religious on a metro area level
Nightlife, though they have different things they excell at (Atlanta for Hip Hop and Dallas for Electronic music)
Both have huge international airports (edge Atlanta for number of flights and destinations, edge Dallas for number of foreign carriers).
Politically they are similar. Atlanta is slightly more liberal.

Really, they are more similar than different. I dont see the bickering.
This is pretty fair and balanced but I'm not convinced that Dallas traffic is any less hectic than Atlanta.

Overall I think both cities are pretty even when it comes to amenities but I prefer Atlanta overall. Dallas has ugly topography IMHO and unlike Miami and Chicago their is no water to compensate for this. Being on an open flat landlocked prairie is just not my cup of tea.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,380,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Not so fast.

In my experience, many of the "Midwestern" transplants in DFW are from the Great Plains--especially Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma--which is the most conservative sub-region of the Midwest. In addition to lots of Great Plains transplants, there are lots of transplants from neighboring states, in particular Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma (which I already mentioned).

Also, it should be known that many of the California transplants in Texas are conservative Republicans and/or those with families ties to Texas. After living in Southern California for several years, I didn't realize how many people there had ties to Texas and even Oklahoma (i.e., they were born there, their parents and/or grandparents were born there, etc.), especially in Orange and San Diego Counties. OTOH, it seemed like most L.A. area natives were either Jewish-Americans with ties to the Northeast, Mexican-Americans with ties to Mexico or another part of the Southwest (i.e., AZ or NM), or African-Americans with ties to the Deep South. That said, lots of California Republicans opt for Texas or Arizona over more liberal states such as Colorado, Oregon, Washington, or even Florida (which would seem like the most logical choice coming from California). I'm sure it has something to do with being a super-minority for decades. Sometimes, Republicans from deep blue states end up moving to red states and voting even more conservative than the locals themselves (bigger issue in Arizona than Texas, IMO).

Lots of Upper Midwestern transplants head for California, Arizona, Colorado, or the Pacific Northwest. Of course there are lots of transplants from more liberal areas of the Midwest such as Chicagoland and Minneapolis-St. Paul in DFW, but IMO, it seems as though these folks are more concentrated in other areas of the Sun Belt and on the West Coast.
From your experience or what you choose to believe? How is Texas rapidly turning into a Democrat state then if everyone moving here is conservative. I work on home furnishings sales in DFW so I get a first hand experience on who is moving here. People that are moving here are coming from California (like always), Illinois, Michigan, and Florida. In the last couple of months I have seen a huge surge in people from Chicago and I have also experienced a growth in Puerto Ricans & Cubans moving from Florida and directly from Puerto Rico.

Sure there are always people from OK, Arkansas, and Louisiana moving here due to them being neighboring states just as you can expect people from Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina to move to Atlanta. But again that doesn't mean people from the Northeast aren't moving to Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,210,336 times
Quote:

Its more diverse
There is a larger variety of types of food (expecially ethnic) for dining (overall I think the food is better in Dallas as well)
The economy is stronger
The traffic isnt as bad

Its much prettier

Where they are similar:

Nightlife, though they have different things they excell at (Atlanta for Hip Hop and Dallas for Electronic music)
Both have huge international airports (edge Atlanta for number of flights and destinations, edge Dallas for number of foreign carriers).
This is accurate from start to finish. +1

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,594,417 times
Quote:

Its more diverse
The economy is stronger
The traffic isnt as bad

Its much prettier

Where they are similar:

This post is pretty spot on. I don't have any real deep-seated dislike for Dallas like I do Houston and I respect the city a lot.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,910,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Your entitled to feel that way.
Damn right I am!

My opinion is the best.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,123,230 times
Quote:

Its more diverse
The economy is stronger
The traffic isnt as bad

Its much prettier

Where they are similar:

Looks about right, but I've pointed out a couple areas where I think it may not be the case.

1) Atlanta's gay scene doesn't have the size and quality of the gay venues as what you find in Dallas, plus there isn't an area in Atlanta that has as many gay businesses as you see on the Cedar Springs strip. The corner of 10th and Piedmont seems dead on the weekend nights compared to the "Strip" in Dallas. The gay scene in Atlanta seems a lot more like "Blacks go here, whites go there" too. Atlanta has a higher percentage of gays. Dallas has a higher number of gays also.

2) I'm not sure if Atlanta has a higher percentage of Democrats than Dallas/Dallas County, but it does have a higher percentage of black voters who are most likely socially conservative, church going folks who vote democratic.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 PM

27,763 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Looks about right, but I've pointed out a couple areas where I think it may not be the case.

1) Atlanta's gay scene doesn't have the size and quality of the gay venues as what you find in Dallas, plus there isn't an area in Atlanta that has as many gay businesses as you see on the Cedar Springs strip. The corner of 10th and Piedmont seems dead on the weekend nights compared to the "Strip" in Dallas. The gay scene in Atlanta seems a lot more like "Blacks go here, whites go there" too. Atlanta has a higher percentage of gays. Dallas has a higher number of gays also.

2) I'm not sure if Atlanta has a higher percentage of Democrats than Dallas/Dallas County, but it does have a higher percentage of black voters who are most likely socially conservative, church going folks who vote democratic.
True, but it also has a higher percentage of young Black college-educated and gay voters that are more liberal socially.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,973,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Damn right I am!

My opinion is the best.

Oh okay

Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,973,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

1) Atlanta's gay scene doesn't have the size and quality of the gay venues as what you find in Dallas, plus there isn't an area in Atlanta that has as many gay businesses as you see on the Cedar Springs strip. The corner of 10th and Piedmont seems dead on the weekend nights compared to the "Strip" in Dallas. The gay scene in Atlanta seems a lot more like "Blacks go here, whites go there" too. Atlanta has a higher percentagre of gays. Dallas has a higher number of gays also.

The blacks in Dallas have no where to go but to the Brick most of them are running to Atlanta or Houston for a scene that caters to the type of music and men they like. Its the same way in Dallas whites go here blacks go there its just as divided. Dont pull it. Ive been to Dallas that strips is filled with clubs that cater mostly to whites and latinos. Ask any black person how they feel about Dallas scene.

Who cares about a gay strip. There isn't any here in New York either
There is also a larger black gay educated populace in Atlanta than Dallas and the are liberal socially .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City