U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,328,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You tipped your hat in reading comprehension. I said that's how far you would go to get to a comparable area to the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Still wrong. The Ouachitas still look more like the Blue Ridge than the Ozarks.

Quote:
Still have not seen the Dallas Mavericks of city data post any relative distance to elevation like I gave, what is wrong? Do not want to face reality?

Heres some help, the tallest point in all of Arkansas is only 2700 feet.

It's 320 miles away

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Maga...1!2d32.7801399
You're trying to prove something that no one ever denied. I haven't seen anyone say that the Arkansas mountains are comparable to the Appalachians.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,832,771 times
I personaly don't think Dallas has a bad location for travling via car or plane, just not a fan of the topography. Both cities are landlocked, but Atlanta has plenty of trees and rolling hills to compensate for this. Even Houston has tropical foilage and the ocean nearby to offset the fact that it is flat. Dallas is both flat and landlocked but not in the middle of nowhere.

Now Denver is a city in the middle of nowhere when comes to driving.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

2) We never said Dallas was more pretty or had more to do outdoors. Go back a few pages and you'll see I acknowledged Atlanta takes both of those. What I will contradict is that there is nothing within driving distance that's of interest.
It seems that's the only point you and I are trying to make, but they're so intent on bashing Texas that they won't acknowledge that point.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I personaly don't think Dallas has a bad location for travling via car or plane, just not a fan of the topography. Both cities are landlocked, but Atlanta has plenty of trees and rolling hills to compensate for this. Even Houston has tropical foilage and the ocean nearby to offset the fact that it is flat. Dallas is both flat and landlocked but not in the middle of nowhere.

Now Denver is a city in the middle of nowhere when comes to driving.
Even that is a bit of a misnomer. There are hills and forests within the metro.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,594,417 times
I think Atlanta and Houston are both more international than Dallas. Sorry, but Houston is the spotlight of Texas. Atlanta and Hpuston both get similar international visitor numbers while Dallas falls short by a few hundred people. Dallas is a big metropolis and is doing well for itself, but I just feel like Houston is the big daddy and seems to get more press. I hear more about Houston than Dallas. I do think Dallas has a decently developed NW side though. Much more so than anything Houston has to offer.

I find the neighborhoods in Atlanta more interesting than both of the big Texas cities. I find Atlanta's neighborhoods have more of a story to tell and more history with it. I also like the grittiness of Atlanta over the cleanliness of the two metros. Houston can be gritty, but I don't find it's core to be gritty at all. Houston's downtown also feels new compared to Atlanta's.

Atlanta as a whole feels more vibrant especially during the day. Atlanta's downtown can be very bustling during the day especially along Peachtree and Broad St. Atlanta's midtown gets good foot traffic during the evening(It's not bustling or anything, but you see people). My mom just went to Dallas over the weekend for my cousin's birthday and she said downtown Dallas isn't much at all which I already knew. Downtown Atlanta is somewhat of a destination due to all of the things near Centennial Olympic Park including our new Ferris Wheel.

As far as parks and trails go, I think Atlanta again has an edge on Dallas. I firmly believe Piedmont Park is the best big urban park in the South. It was designed by the same guy who designed Central Park in NYC. It is a historic park and the Midtown skyline standing on the edge on Lake Claire is gorgeous.

This doesn't even count the Beltline(Eastside Trail) which is a massive success and packed every warm weekend. Ironically enough, it's the most vibrant trail/street in the city. You can have over 1.5k people passing you an hour. Might not seem like a lot, but having on average 20-25 people pass you minute, it's a lot.

I do think Dallas as a metro is better than Atlanta as a metro and it obviously is doing much more better in the jobs and economy category, but as a city, I find Atlanta more interesting even if it's not as dense as I'd like it to be.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,780,093 times
Oh that is permanent (ferris wheel)? I thought it was just a holiday thing, I saw it around Thanksgiving.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,551,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Do you mean an "empty statement" like that one^^?? Just curious.
I don't mind dumb comment like yours,can't you distinguish a joke from a serious comment ?
I prefer Atlanta to any other city that's my opinion but the tree comment was joke !!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Oh that is permanent (ferris wheel)? I thought it was just a holiday thing, I saw it around Thanksgiving.
It's been here since Mid July. I think they will assess how it's done by the end of this year and if it's done well, keep it here longer. I've heard rumors it's doing much better than expected and they were thinking about increasing the size to around 400-500 feet. Every weekend, it's packed. Great location due to the amount of tourist traps in the area.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think Atlanta and Houston are both more international than Dallas. Sorry, but Houston is the spotlight of Texas. Atlanta and Hpuston both get similar international visitor numbers while Dallas falls short by a few hundred people. Dallas is a big metropolis and is doing well for itself, but I just feel like Houston is the big daddy and seems to get more press. I hear more about Houston than Dallas. I do think Dallas has a decently developed NW side though. Much more so than anything Houston has to offer.
And yet, Dallas has a much larger immigrant community than Atlanta. With or without Mexicans…

Atlanta gets more international visitors. Dallas has the larger immigrant community. Its a wash as to which is more international.

Houston is more international than both.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And yet, Dallas has a much larger immigrant community than Atlanta. With or without Mexicans…

Atlanta gets more international visitors. Dallas has the larger immigrant community. Its a wash as to which is more international.

Houston is more international than both.
And then you account for the fact that Dallas is a much larger metro by over 1.4 million people and has a lot of Latinos, specifically Mexicans.

But Dallas is still more diverse then Atlanta regardless. But can we call that being more international? I mean, Atlanta is superior on both domestic and international visitors. It seems to have more interest from overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City