Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
compared to atlanta it is, this is a comparison thread.
Compared to Atlanta it is not. It is within driving distance to beaches, mountains, historic and ethnic German towns in South Central Texas, the Midwest and more.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And yet, Dallas has a much larger immigrant community than Atlanta. With or without Mexicans…
Dallas alone (i.e., the metropolitan division) or the entire Metroplex?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas alone (i.e., the metropolitan division) or the entire Metroplex?
Either. Without Mexicans though, the Dallas Metropolitan division wouldn't. Of course, the Dallas metropolitan division would have a higher concentration of immigrants but its only a 4.2 million division.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Either. Without Mexicans though, the Dallas Metropolitan division wouldn't. Of course, the Dallas metropolitan division would have a higher concentration of immigrants but its only a 4.2 million division.
LOL at "only" a 4.2 million division. If it were a standalone MSA, it would still be among the largest in the country, ranking ahead of Seattle and somewhere very close to Detroit.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL at "only" a 4.2 million division. If it were a standalone MSA, it would still be among the largest in the country, ranking ahead of Seattle and somewhere very close to Detroit.
Yes, but thats how the division is measured by county line.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
I hate when people quote that 4.2 million MSA division. Does the census even still use the metro division for Dallas? When you use the 4.2 number it excludes any population West of the Dallas County line. In reality a lot of the suburban growth is West so you are cutting out A LOT of people. The "Mid-Cities" area of the Metroplex are a set of suburban communities shared by both Dallas and Ft Worth. Only Irving and some of Grand Prairie are included in that 4.2 number. So that is not an accurate population statistic to use.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Compared to Atlanta it is not. It is within driving distance to beaches, mountains, historic and ethnic German towns in South Central Texas, the Midwest and more.
I feel like Dallas is in a good location. For flights it's in the middle of the country and close to Mexico. For driving you are in closer proximity to larger and better cities than Atlanta is. For scenery you can jump in the car and take in the sights of the Texas prairie, the great plains, the piney woods, swamps, Texas hill country, gulf coast, Palo Pinto mountains, the Ouchita mountains, the desert, or the mountains in west Texas.
You can't jump in the car in Atlanta and see the desert or the great plains which both have their own scenic beauty. The closest scenic area to Dallas will be the Palo Pinto Mountains/Brazos River Valley which are just west of Ft Worth. I love that area of North Texas.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I feel like Dallas is in a good location. For flights it's in the middle of the country and close to Mexico. For driving you are in closer proximity to larger and better cities than Atlanta is. For scenery you can jump in the car and take in the sights of the Texas prairie, the great plains, the piney woods, swamps, Texas hill country, gulf coast, Palo Pinto mountains, the Ouchita mountains, the desert, or the mountains in west Texas.
You can't jump in the car in Atlanta and see the desert or the great plains which both have their own scenic beauty. The closest scenic area to Dallas will be the Palo Pinto Mountains/Brazos River Valley which are just west of Ft Worth. I love that area of North Texas.
Uh ... NO! Atlanta is within a day's drive of every major city on the Eastern Seaboard, from New York to Miami to the Mississippi River.

It is a 4 hour drive from Atlanta to Nashville.

It is a 5 hour drive from Atlanta to the panhandle beaches of Florida.

It is a 6 hour drive from Atlanta to Orlando.

It is a 7 hour drive from Atlanta to New Orleans.

It is an 8 hour drive from Atlanta to St. Louis.

It is a 9 hour drive from Atlanta to Miami.

It is a 10 hour drive from Atlanta to Washington, DC.

Try again!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
10 hours to Chicago also ^ ...

I almost spit out my drink reading that.

Of course they seem to have a weird idea of what is "interesting"

You also have Savannah, Charleston, and Asheville within quick drives.

The point is all those cities you listed and I listed offer something unique, varied, and worth visiting and it's shown in actual tourist visits.

The middle of the country means it's closer to nowhere, and your flights will be more expensive and longer going either direction.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
With the exception of scenery I think I like Dallas better than Atlanta. The economy is better, the city is cleaner, crime is way lower in Dallas. I live in Atlanta now for the past three months but I kind of already have the vibe that this is not the city for me. Lots of negatives here and the only positive really is that the scenery is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City