U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,119,502 times

Advertisements

what I was getting at is you can be in Austin or Houston within a 3-3.5 hour drive from Dallas. Go another hour-ish and you're in San Antonio. Drive 3-3.5 hours from Atlanta and you would get places like Knoxville, Greenville, Charlotte or Birmingham. There's a big difference there in terms of culture and amenities. If you're hopping in the car and driving to NY or Chicago from Atlanta then that's their business. I for one would never drive that far to anywhere! That's what planes are for.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,119,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
10 hours to Chicago also ^ ...

I almost spit out my drink reading that.

Of course they seem to have a weird idea of what is "interesting"

You also have Savannah, Charleston, and Asheville within quick drives.

The point is all those cities you listed and I listed offer something unique, varied, and worth visiting and it's shown in actual tourist visits.

The middle of the country means it's closer to nowhere, and your flights will be more expensive and longer going either direction.
I completely agree with you here. Flights from Dallas to Mexico, Central America, Las Vegas, the Rocky Mountains, the West Coast, etc. are way longer than flights from Atlanta to those destinations.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
When you're comparing the Rockies to the Appalachians, I think most people would feel it's worth it.

I really like the Blue Ridge, but having an ocean close to Atlanta would've been more enjoyable for me.
You can get on a plane in Atlanta also and the cost is not going to be drastically different.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
what I was getting at is you can be in Austin or Houston within a 3-3.5 hour drive from Dallas. Go another hour-ish and you're in San Antonio. Drive 3-3.5 hours from Atlanta and you would get places like Knoxville, Greenville, Charlotte or Birmingham. There's a big difference there in terms of culture and amenities. If you're hopping in the car and driving to NY or Chicago from Atlanta then that's their business. I for one would never drive that far to anywhere! That's what planes are for.
What you said was "For driving you are in closer proximity to larger and better cities than Atlanta is." And that obviously is not true. It is an easy day's drive from Atlanta to well more than half the population of the country. That is simply not the case with Dallas.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
And yet, Dallas has a much larger immigrant community than Atlanta. With or without Mexicans…

Atlanta gets more international visitors. Dallas has the larger immigrant community. Its a wash as to which is more international.

Houston is more international than both.
Well if you count the fact that Atlanta has more international headquarters than either of those cities,then Atlanta wins.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Atlanta Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia

Atlanta Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia - YouTube

Dallas Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia

Dallas Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia - YouTube

Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well if you count the fact that Atlanta has more international headquarters than either of those cities,then Atlanta wins.
If you count that Dallas has more foreign airlines, it's a wash again.

On that note, Aeromexico is leaving Atlanta again.

In seriousness, is Atlanta slightly more international than Dallas? Maybe so, but the difference is very little.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What you said was "For driving you are in closer proximity to larger and better cities than Atlanta is." And that obviously is not true. It is an easy day's drive from Atlanta to well more than half the population of the country. That is simply not the case with Dallas.
Your definition of close proximity just seems to be different from his. Within about four hours from Dallas you can get to all of Texas' major cities. Within that same time frame from Atlanta, you can only get to Nashville and Charlotte.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,828,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your definition of close proximity just seems to be different from his. Within about four hours from Dallas you can get to all of Texas' major cities. Within that same time frame from Atlanta, you can only get to Nashville and Charlotte.
Still arguing about proximity lol, both metros are close to some interesting places. It is really a wash and it really depends on what you like. Atlanta has the advantage of being close enough for a day trip to the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf IMHO and that is about it. Where you can fly to is really pointless.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
For driving you are in closer proximity to larger and better cities than Atlanta is.
Another excellent point. Within seven hours from Dallas you can be in:

Houston
Austin
San Antonio
Fort Worth
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Little Rock
Memphis

Personally, I think that's a pretty nice list. The only cities Atlanta's closer to that I would actually want to be close to are New York, DC, Chicago, and Miami, and it's still not as if it's only a hop, skip and a jump away from them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City