U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:08 AM

395 posts, read 634,521 times
same climate, same sprawl, same everything, dallas a better economy/more diverse, but that's about it.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:16 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,356,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're either purposely trying to start trouble, or maybe you're ignorant. Either way, I'll ask for your opinion when I want it.
Bottomline, you should have never comeback attempting to scold others for not being able to take a joke AT ALL. Because in the process you're the one who looks like he can't take one.

It's Christmas and I'm not in the spirit of a continuation of this diatribe of posts. I'll stop if you will.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM

155 posts, read 465,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Individual clubs have dress codes in both cities. There are several Atlanta clubs that don't allow tennis shoes...and I've been to Dallas and to a few clubs there - had no problem being dressed VERY casually. It just depends on the individual club.
It wasn't a club though; it was an otherwise casual restaurant/lounge. I just get the impression that going out in Atlanta is a bit more casual than Dallas. I think the Hip hop style (not necessarily thuggish) is a bit more influential in Atlanta--that's the casual style i'm referring to.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:09 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,981,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
It wasn't a club though; it was an otherwise casual restaurant/lounge. I just get the impression that going out in Atlanta is a bit more casual than Dallas. I think the Hip hop style (not necessarily thuggish) is a bit more influential in Atlanta--that's the casual style i'm referring to.
And there is A LOT more to entertainment in Atlanta than hip hop...besides, many black clubs have strict dress codes as well. The atmosphere isn't clearly more casual in either city; again, it depends on the where you're going and what you're doing.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 AM

8,758 posts, read 7,840,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
I agree Akhenaton06. Dallas went through it's highrise building boom in the 1980's, while Atlanta had their's in the 1990's and even into 2000's. So driving around Dallas sort of gives you the feel of wealth and power from the 1980's. Even Northpark Center (Dallas' nicest mall and probably one of the most upscale malls in the country) has a 1980's feel to it. Atlanta's buildings just look new and more modern. And Atlanta seems to be building more highrises that Dallas.

The exception would be Victory Park in Dallas, which is a new, nice area. Unfortunately, Victory Park hasn't had the success of say, Atlantic Station. I went to the W Hotel lounge at Victory Park on a warm Saturday back in September and it was dead.

On the education front, Atlanta has a lot more colleges and I think it caters to a slightly younger crowd too. For example, this summer I went out in Dallas and got denied entry to a regular lounge because my friend and I had on tennis shoes. The way were dressed would be typical for going out in Atlanta.
The reason why Atlantic station hasn't been a failure like Victory Park has (so far) is because AS caters to pretty much all demographics, while VP catered to only upper class clients.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,414,402 times
Atlanta.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:27 AM

7,852 posts, read 11,981,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The reason why Atlantic station hasn't been a failure like Victory Park has (so far) is because AS caters to pretty much all demographics, while VP catered to only upper class clients.

The reason Atlantic Station is a success and Victory Park isn't is due to the amount of retail at Atlantic Station, with big draws like L.A. Fitness, IKEA, Publix, H&M, a 16-screen Regal Cinema, Target, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Express, American Eagle, Fox Sports Grill, Ann Taylor, and dozens of other stores and restaurants. Victory Park has very limited retail; VP has American Airlines Arena and the House of Blues.

Both developments have upscale hotels...AS has Twelve Hotel & Residences, VP has W Hotel & Residences. Both have a handful of new office towers. AS has a new 46-story condo tower, The Atlantic, plus ATLoft, Element, and Art Foundry condos...and Icon and Park District apartments. VP has very limited residences.

What about Victory Park caters only to upper class clients? They seem to be similar concepts, but Atlantic Station has more to offer and is therefore successful.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 AM

15,832 posts, read 18,444,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The reason Atlantic Station is a success and Victory Park isn't is due to the amount of retail at Atlantic Station, with big draws like L.A. Fitness, IKEA, Publix, H&M, a 16-screen Regal Cinema, Target, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Express, American Eagle, Fox Sports Grill, Ann Taylor, and dozens of other stores and restaurants. Victory Park has very limited retail; VP has American Airlines Arena and the House of Blues.

Both developments have upscale hotels...AS has Twelve Hotel & Residences, VP has W Hotel & Residences. Both have a handful of new office towers. AS has a new 46-story condo tower, The Atlantic, plus ATLoft, Element, and Art Foundry condos...and Icon and Park District apartments. VP has very limited residences.

What about Victory Park caters only to upper class clients? They seem to be similar concepts, but Atlantic Station has more to offer and is therefore successful.
No Victory Park literally only caters to upper class clients and you only see rich people there. I've heard at night Atlantic Station is nothing like you just described. However, Dallas has West Village which is pretty successful and attracts different crowds.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM

4,388 posts, read 11,087,621 times
Dallas really appealed to me for some reason. Atlanta did to but to a (far) lesser extent

Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM

85 posts, read 160,008 times
I find that these cities are very similar. Upper crust, white Northside and a blacker Southside with working class people. They both lack in the transportation department and have seen rapid growth in years. Both cities are located in the northern part of their states and have the largest metros in their state. I voted for Dallas because I love Texas but I would love to live in Atlanta as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City