U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas??
Atlanta 159 55.02%
Dallas 130 44.98%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,904,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Atlanta has some great clubs and parties, but sometimes Atlanta's crowds can look like a bunch of folks who stepped out of Alabama/South Carolina and South Georgia, LOL.
You know you just plain wrong for that.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,904 times
Dallas has the edge. Both cities are great.
Dallas, however, has more/better restaurants, more shopping, slightly more entertainment venues and attractions, more people, and more pride.
Atlanta is more scenic. Dallas is more cosmopolitan. Atlanta has a strong Southern feel, while Dallas has more international flavor (much like california), with texas pride and influence on the side.

Dallas is the largest metro area in the state of Texas, and 4th largest in the United States. Atlanta is 9th. Both cities have great suburbs, but Dallas has more.

Dallas definitely has the flashy-urban feel. Atlanta also does somewhat.
To me, Dallas has a slightly more impressive skyline, especially at night.
The restaurants in Dallas are second-to-none, with more restaurants per capita than NYC. While Dallas has fantastic local/regional restaurants that you won't find anywhere else, it also has an almost limitless variety of food choices. But Tex-Mex is best in Dallas.
Atlanta, like I said, is more scenic.
the Dallas area has more Fortune 500 companies than any other city in the world, and the 9th most billionaires in the world. Not sure if that is relevant or not (haha)

I have been to both cities many times, and i love them both.
I love it in NYC, but if I had to live anywhere else, I would choose Dallas or Chicago. Both strongly appeal to me. I love the "spizazz" of dallas.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,497,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY323 View Post
Dallas has the edge. Both cities are great.
Dallas, however, has more/better restaurants, more shopping, slightly more entertainment venues and attractions, more people, and more pride.
Atlanta is more scenic. Dallas is more cosmopolitan. Atlanta has a strong Southern feel, while Dallas has more international flavor (much like california), with texas pride and influence on the side.

Dallas is the largest metro area in the state of Texas, and 4th largest in the United States. Atlanta is 9th. Both cities have great suburbs, but Dallas has more.

Dallas definitely has the flashy-urban feel. Atlanta also does somewhat.
To me, Dallas has a slightly more impressive skyline, especially at night.
The restaurants in Dallas are second-to-none, with more restaurants per capita than NYC. While Dallas has fantastic local/regional restaurants that you won't find anywhere else, it also has an almost limitless variety of food choices. But Tex-Mex is best in Dallas.
Atlanta, like I said, is more scenic.
the Dallas area has more Fortune 500 companies than any other city in the world, and the 9th most billionaires in the world. Not sure if that is relevant or not (haha)

I have been to both cities many times, and i love them both.
I love it in NYC, but if I had to live anywhere else, I would choose Dallas or Chicago. Both strongly appeal to me. I love the "spizazz" of dallas.
What?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,938,736 times
There should be a "neither" option on this poll...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 AM

3,430 posts, read 8,517,665 times
What happened to all the ATL voters? Dallas is catching up.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,769,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There should be a "neither" option on this poll...
Nah, that option would be better if the 2 poll options were Chicago and Milwaukee

Old 12-30-2008, 01:39 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,769,034 times
To me, it is a tie. I like both cities alot and never failed to have a ton of fun in either. Dallas is 250 miles North from me here but Atlanta is closer to all my family back in NY

Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 AM

5,264 posts, read 12,609,958 times
For me its Dallas. Water recreation is all around Dallas which I like. Atlanta doesn't have much of that at all.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 AM

5,362 posts, read 7,089,487 times
I really do not care for either of these cities. I'm sure they both have positives and negatives (I've lived in Dallas previously), but I'm just not interested in them.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,507,844 times
This is from a post that I posted a year ago and should give a good comparison of both cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
The girlfriend and I almost made the decision to move to Dallas from Atlanta last summer, but choseto stay here in Atlanta for career and personal reasons. However, we visit Dallas frequently as one of my best friends from high school lives there. After visiting Dallas and becoming familiar with it, I would say that it's very similar to Atlanta in a lot of ways and the differences are mainly superficial.

Cost of Living: Both places are notorious for having a low cost of living. Lately, prices in Atlanta have skyrocketed, but in Dallas you can get more house and more quality for cheaper. However, taxes and utilities are cheaper in Atlanta. Tie

Public Transportation: Atlanta boasts a heavy rail system that can take you from the Airport to the northern suburb of Sandy Springs via Dowtown, Midtown, and Buckhead. You can also get to several communities east and west of the city. However, that state and the balkanized local governments can't get their acts together to expand and improve the system. Dallas' DART is currently more modest than MARTA, but this is changing soon as many local governments in the Metroplex have embraced DART and it's now expanding. Edge to Atlanta now, but Dallas will have the edge in 10-15 years

Traffic: Atlanta's street patterns are chaotic and make no sense or logic. Often times, there's only one or two options from going from one area to another, causing some of the nation's worst traffic. Dallas on the other hand has a very extensive road network and its surface streets are on a grid. It's also easier to commute longer distances in Dallas than in Atlanta. Edge Dallas

Diversity: Both cities are booming Sunbelt cities attracting people from all over the world. Atlanta has a lot of pockets of different ethnic communities thoughout the Metro Area. I assume that Dallas has much of the same configuration. Tie

Crime: Both cities have bad crime. Comparing the two is like comparing the difference between being shot and stabbed. They both hurt. A very painful tie

Neighborhoods: Atlanta's intown neighborhoods have been experiencing a renaissance over the past 10-15 years with a lot of old houses being renovated and a lot of new homes constructed. Also, each neighborhood in Atlanta has a very distince vibe, not to mention the architecture. I know that the city of Dallas has a lot of tree cover, but Atlanta's is truly amazinng--especially with the hills. Dallas is experiencing the same, but it feels that Atlanta is a little further along. However I did like Lower Greenville and Uptown. I also need to check out Deep Ellum. (BTW, the Texas live oak is a magnificent tree!) Edge Atlanta

Economy: Both metro areas have booming diverse economies and both cities are growing fast. Tie

Weather: Dallas is slightly hotter than Atlanta in the summer and Atlanta is slightly cooler than Dallas in the winter. Tie

Outdoor Recreation: Atlanta is situated near the base of the Appalachains and is located within an hour and a half of world class whitewater rafting, hiking, spellunking, rock-climbing and biking. It's not as good as the Rockies, but it's in Atlanta's backyard nonetheless. This is the only area where Dallas really lags due to its location. It's also the reason why Colorado is considered Texas's largest state park. Edge Atlanta

People: I have a huge network of friends here in Atlanta and after meeting some of my buddy's friends in Dallas and seeing how cool they were, I have no doubt that I could enjoy the same there. Tie

Shopping: We have Lenox/Phipps, Dallas has the Galleria. Contrary to what a previous poster said, the area around Lenox/Phipps is really safe and is very upscale. Atlanta also has Perimeter Mall, North Point Mall, the Vinings area, and Atlantic Station. Dallas has many other options as well. Tie

The comparisons can go on and on, but in reality, the two cities are so similar that I wouldn't have a problem if I had to relocate to Dallas. It all comes down to specifics and where you're more comfortable personally.
Personally I give an ever so slight edge to Atlanta since I've enjoyed living here, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to relocate to Dallas.

In regards to earlier conversations on this thread regarding dress code, casualness, etc--I think you can find a more laid back vibe in a lot of Atlanta neighborhoods outside of Buckhead. In fact a huge chunk of the city is very artsy and hipsterish--way more so than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City