U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd best
Detroit 78 15.69%
Indianapolis 22 4.43%
Cleveland 39 7.85%
Twin Cities 211 42.45%
Columbus 9 1.81%
Cincinnati 49 9.86%
St. Louis 50 10.06%
Kansas City 39 7.85%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM

342 posts, read 465,463 times

Advertisements

i would personally like the twin cities skylines better if they were combined as one city.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM

3,755 posts, read 7,896,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
oh well in 2010-2011 winter we had a record amount of snowfall as well. but none of our stuff as important as the metrodome collapsed
I'm sure you mean Skyways. They're practical. I know it may seem odd when Boston/New England is "a few degrees warmer", but it's not the same. People in the upper midwest, especially Minneapolis/Minnesota, are exposed to sustained extremely cold temperatures. It's not like it's a few degrees colder for a month, it's super cold here for 4 straight months, and 6 months of uncomfortable weather. Skyways are in part due to the cold, but also the snow. Snow removal is a pain in the ars in downtowns and urban areas. Where does the snow go? It can't go in the ditch because there aren't any.

New England probably gets more snow than the Twin Cities. The Metrodome collapse is an anomaly.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM

I surrender! The twin cities win the bad weather contest! i wish Boston had weather as bad as in the twin cities. that was to show how stupid the argument that i started was. btw how old was the metrodome at the time of the collapse, because that might have something to do with why it collapsed.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM

66 posts, read 103,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I've had this debate about 100 times over the years on C-D. Clevelanders, or fanboys of Cleveland tend to think the skyline is amazing. They really haven't A) Been to MPLS or B) Been out of Cleveland.

It's no knock to Cleveland, I agree, and Opinion is Opinion, but skyline enthusiasts alike will tell you that MPLS has a wonderful skyline.

What is interesting is that Wells Fargo Center and Cleveland's Tallest were designed by the same person/company. You can kind of see the resemblence.

Well I don't know why you are insulting people. Sorry I haven't been to MPLS, but I have lived in many cities across the world and I would pick Cleveland. I think its better composed against the lake, with better individual towers, and more variety depending on your angle. MLPS is more dense, with some taller towers. It is a personal choice really. BOTH cities have great, under-appreciated skylines.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanscav View Post
Well I don't know why you are insulting people. Sorry I haven't been to MPLS, but I have lived in many cities across the world and I would pick Cleveland. I think its better composed against the lake, with better individual towers, and more variety depending on your angle. MLPS is more dense, with some taller towers. It is a personal choice really. BOTH cities have great, under-appreciated skylines.
this is exactly what i have been trying to say!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Default meh

Quote:
i would personally like the twin cities skylines better if they were combined as one city.
Don't judge, something I made in about 10 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-haha.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I surrender! The twin cities win the bad weather contest! i wish Boston had weather as bad as in the twin cities. that was to show how stupid the argument that i started was. btw how old was the metrodome at the time of the collapse, because that might have something to do with why it collapsed.
Hey, hey, you were the one asking the purpose of skyways and if it was "really that cold" for them.

and it's not really an argument, it's fact. It's cold in MPLS. Just as it gets cold in Boston. That's why there are skyways here. Boston is much more dense too, lessening the need for them.

End. Of. Story. (Like they say in Fargo. The film, maybe the town too. The film made by the Coen Brothers. Who are from Minnesota)

The Dome was nearly 30 years old when it collapsed. It was more a matter of a ton of heavy snow in a very very short amount of time. Pretty embarassing, haha

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 PM

i like it. its like the old city meets the newer one. i just realized that the twin cities is one of few areas that can lay claim to multiple skylines.
MSP2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-3127.jpg2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-minneapolis_skyline_summer.jpg
Boston2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-2530233841_8a5bcd1fb1_b.jpg
New york2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-downtown-manhattan-skyline.jpg2nd best Midwestern city Skyline-midtown_skyline_-_scott_murphy.jpg
i wish i could change my vote to the twins because this puts it over the top.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Hey, hey, you were the one asking the purpose of skyways and if it was "really that cold" for them.

and it's not really an argument, it's fact. It's cold in MPLS. Just as it gets cold in Boston. That's why there are skyways here. Boston is much more dense too, lessening the need for them.

End. Of. Story. (Like they say in Fargo. The film, maybe the town too. The film made by the Coen Brothers. Who are from Minnesota)

The Dome was nearly 30 years old when it collapsed. It was more a matter of a ton of heavy snow in a very very short amount of time. Pretty embarassing, haha
i was being sarcastic. and i bet something like the dome collapse wouldn't have happened in china.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM

[quote=deh74;26266974]i like it. its like the old city meets the newer one. i just realized that the twin cities is one of few areas that can lay claim to multiple skylines. quote]

Well, actually there are quite a few places with multiple skylines - Houston, Atlanta, LA, Miami... Plus cities like Seattle, San Fran, Dallas have similar deals going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.