U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd best
Detroit 78 15.69%
Indianapolis 22 4.43%
Cleveland 39 7.85%
Twin Cities 211 42.45%
Columbus 9 1.81%
Cincinnati 49 9.86%
St. Louis 50 10.06%
Kansas City 39 7.85%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,109,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Kansas City is not in the Midwest.
Yes, yes it is

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM

909 posts, read 2,663,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
And Bush was voted in not once but twice(you know the rest)...Whats your point?
I said IMO, it seems you still dont understand what that means.

People on here just bash Cleveland for no reason. Its ridiculous.
And to the other posters who said the buildings and skyline are unrecognizable, first of all your wrong, and second you could say that about 9/10 city skylines. The Terminal Tower is a very old building which is very tall and recognizable. Key Tower is still one of the tallest buildings in the USA and the world (the tallest in the midwest outside of Chicago). BP tower is a unique building. And I dont know any other skyscrapers that look like the new federal building. Your also all basing your arguments on a small portion of the skyline in Cleveland. Clevelands skyline spans nearly 2 miles East to West. All the way from the Federal Building to the CSU Rhodes Tower.

Anybody that knows the slightest bit about Cleveland could easily recognize the skyline. Its nothing like the other cities that you mentioned that are unrecognizable. Like I said, I love Detroit, but IMO I just dont see how anyone could put it ahead of Minneapolis, Cincinnati, and Cleveland. Let me stress this again, IMO.

It's not that I hate Cleveland, it's that I hate people trying to say and think that Cleveland is the best city in the US. It's not even close to the best. Just like Detroit. Detroit and Cleveland are average and I agree they are both underated. I do agree with DC on saying Cleveland's skyline is unrecognizable. If Detroit didn't have the Ren Cen on the Riverfront, I wouldn't say that Detroit's skyline would be 2nd best, but it would be 3rd. Detroit has more buildings than just one. Heres the skyline with out the Ren Cen:
http://halftimeadjustments.files.wor...it_skyline.png

What is so architectualy significant about the Key Tower? Yes it is very tall, but it looks like a pencil:

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2.../large_key.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-21-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,967,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Yes, yes it is
Maybe you're right. But many people consider the Plains states as something separate from the "Midwest". Here's a thread discussing this very issue:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rn-cities.html

Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
It's not that I hate Cleveland, it's that I hate people trying to say and think that Cleveland is the best city in the US. It's not even close to the best. Just like Detroit. Detroit and Cleveland are average and I agree they are both underated. I do agree with DC on saying Cleveland's skyline is unrecognizable. If Detroit didn't have the Ren Cen on the Riverfront, I wouldn't say that Detroit's skyline would be 2nd best, but it would be 3rd. Detroit has more buildings than just one. Heres the skyline with out the Ren Cen:

What is so architectualy significant about the Key Tower? Yes it is very tall, but it looks like a pencil:
Its obvious that you dont like Cleveland. I never said that Cleveland was anywhere near "the best city in the US". Dont put words in my mouth. Its just ridiculous the amount of people that bash our city and area on here for no reason thinking they can just get away with saying false things, and nobody that knows the truth will correct them. Most of you have barely even been here before or just make things up.

Detroits skyline minus the Renaissance Center is not great either and is very unrecognizable, much less than Cleveland. You are also being hypocritical because I only see one building in that picture you showed that is anywhere near being "architecturally significant". Clevelands skyline is very recognizable to anyone that knows the slightest bit about it. If Detroit didnt have the renaissance Center, and One Detroit (maybe Penobscot), there would be nothing recognizable or attractive about the skyline. But Im sure you will find more ways to unfairly bash Cleveland...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Maybe you're right. But many people consider the Plains states as something separate from the "Midwest". Here's a thread discussing this very issue:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rn-cities.html

Missouri isn't a plains state.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Its obvious that you dont like Cleveland. I never said that Cleveland was anywhere near "the best city in the US". Dont put words in my mouth. Its just ridiculous the amount of people that bash our city and area on here for no reason thinking they can just get away with saying false things, and nobody that knows the truth will correct them. Most of you have barely even been here before or just make things up.

Detroits skyline minus the Renaissance Center is not great either and is very unrecognizable, much less than Cleveland. You are also being hypocritical because I only see one building in that picture you showed that is anywhere near being "architecturally significant". Clevelands skyline is very recognizable to anyone that knows the slightest bit about it. If Detroit didnt have the renaissance Center, and One Detroit (maybe Penobscot), there would be nothing recognizable or attractive about the skyline.

Your being rediculous about this whole thing so I'm just going to leave it at that buddy and you can say whatever you want to say for now on. Im done with you.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,515,299 times
Quote:
Your being rediculous about this whole thing so I'm just going to leave it at that buddy and you can say whatever you want to say for now on. Im done with you.
Have fun, being continuously: absolutely biased, blind, and unfairly bashing places.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,109,508 times
Quote:

Idk, I've always really liked Key Tower for some reason. I do think it's height is also architecturally significant. Architecture is just as much about size at it is shape and that building, to me, has both.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Idk, I've always really liked Key Tower for some reason. I do think it's height is also architecturally significant. Architecture is just as much about size at it is shape and that building, to me, has both.

IMO i think it's too narrow and looks like too many other buildings just as DC said. If Cleveland had their own style of architecture like Chicago or Minneapolis, it would look a lot better.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM

8,292 posts, read 13,629,543 times
Quote:
Its just ridiculous the amount of people that bash our city and area on here for no reason thinking they can just get away with saying false things, and nobody that knows the truth will correct them. Most of you have barely even been here before or just make things up.

Clevelands skyline is very recognizable to anyone that knows the slightest bit about it.

But Im sure you will find more ways to unfairly bash Cleveland...
The bolded part is the key to what I was saying in my original post. If you are familiar with Cleveland, you will recognize the skyline right away. Just like if you are familiar with Indianapolis or KCMO, you will recognize the skyline right away. If you are from, lets say, Seattle or Miami; odds are you are not going to recognize any of those cities' skylines. There is just nothing to differentiate them from eachother to the casual observer. How many midwesterners are going to instantly recognize a picture of Salt Lake City or Sacremento? I know I wouldn't. It is not to say Cleveland's skyline is ugly or generic; but if you don't know anything about the midwest, you probably won't recognize many of the skylines.

I have been to Cleveland a few times, by the way. Great city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.