Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd best
Detroit 78 15.69%
Indianapolis 22 4.43%
Cleveland 39 7.85%
Twin Cities 211 42.45%
Columbus 9 1.81%
Cincinnati 49 9.86%
St. Louis 50 10.06%
Kansas City 39 7.85%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Minneapolis is easily second--one of the best in the US in my opinion. KCMO has a fantastic skyline filled with various types of 'scrapers.

I like the Indy skyline when I first moved here, but it has to be one of the strangest skylines I've seen in the sense that the angle changes it entirely. I actually started coming into Indy from Washington because I liked the way the skyline looked--very dense.

Indianapolis vs Toledo...really?

The Angle is due to the grid system.
Chicago is the same way.
come into Chicago from the south side you could compare the view to Indianapolis coming from I-70 on the east side.
Now swich the angle and come into Chicago from O'hare and it vastly changes the view. Indy is the same thing cause Indy and Chicago and a few other cities use the Grid System.
Hence why i drive into Indianapolis coming from South Bend i always take US 31 to 465 down the east side and Hop on 70 and go into town that way. love that view of Indianapolis and that is easily the #1 view of the skyline.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM

605 posts, read 1,158,384 times
I voted for St. Louis to give it rep points. Simply having the arch is a plus for me because you instantly know where you are and I like that. I think that Detroit gets rep points too for it's beautiful waterfront position and the recognizable Renaissance Center (is it still called that?). Columbus actually has some pretty nice buildings and the big yellow bridge in Cincinnati is a good landmark. Minneapolis is too...bland. I wouldn't recognize it if I wasn't familiar with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
I'm a huge fan of St. Louis but I think Cincinnati's skyline is better. If Clayton & Downtown St. Louis' skylines were combined, then I think it would beat out Cincinnati. But I still like the fact that St. Louis has 2 downtowns.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I voted for St. Louis to give it rep points. Simply having the arch is a plus for me because you instantly know where you are and I like that. I think that Detroit gets rep points too for it's beautiful waterfront position and the recognizable Renaissance Center (is it still called that?). Columbus actually has some pretty nice buildings and the big yellow bridge in Cincinnati is a good landmark. Minneapolis is too...bland. I wouldn't recognize it if I wasn't familiar with it.
Minneapolis bland? Take away 5 of our best buildings and it still holds its own in the Midwest as #2, and will still have 50-100 more "*towers" than the next runner-up (save possibly Detroit).

You don't see many people talking about Minneapolis for a reason......it's in a different league than the rest (and Minnesotans suck at bragging).

*"towers" are buildings taller than 10 floors or 120 feet.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,164,231 times
2) Minneapolis - just an awesome skyline. Large skyline for a city it's size, very modern, attractive, well planned looking cityscape. You definitely get the impression that Minneapolis is the pride of Minnesota and it gives off a "New Midwest" vibe, like Atlanta gives off the "New South" vibe. Very clean feel with little blight coming into the city.

3) Cincinnati - Great skyline. Reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh coming across the Ohio. Nice mix between old and new. Beautiful old bridges. One of the bridges actually looks a lot like the Brooklyn bridge. I love it. The Kentucky side of Cincinnati is also very beautiful and gives off a historic, river city vibe. Definitely the Queen City of the Midwest.

4) St. Louis - 2nd most recognizable skyline in the Midwest. I think people really underestimate the sheer size of the Arch and people that have never seen it in person cant keep their eyes off it. Coming from I-55 South also really gives you a better idea of how large the skyline actually is. The massive red brick warehouses and iron railroad trestles remind you that St. Louis was an industrial juggernaut. Would be better with more modern hi-rises and a cleaned up riverfront.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I wouldn't recognize it if I wasn't familiar with it.
thank you for that bit of insight, Yogi

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
The bottom line is that Indy has a very weak skyline for a city of over 800,000. And even with the Chase Tower, it's not that much better than Toledo or Ft. Wayne!!!
That's insane. I'm even from Fort Wayne and think that's insane. I mean really? Really? I like Indy's skyline better than Columbus' and, by the way, Chase tower is the tallest building in the Midwest outside of Cleveland and Chicago.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:10 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,181,167 times
I think indy population is actualy around the mid 700,00 and metro is in the mid 1 million mark

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,477,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
I think indy population is actualy around the mid 700,00 and metro is in the mid 1 million mark
Population of Indianapolis is 830,000 in the city.
Metro area is 1,785,000 people and growing fast.
Indy is still the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and is right below Minneapolis is strongest job growth.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indy is still the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and is right below Minneapolis is strongest job growth.
No...Indy is growing quickly but it is neither the fastest growing city nor metro in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City