Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,804,910 times

Advertisements

Boston

Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 PM

756 posts, read 1,874,153 times
I will never forget when I went to get some takeout in the Boston area and the guy said, hold on it's shot! I was like "Well, what happened to it?" "He said he was going to check. He came back with the rest of my order. Apparently "shot" means "short". The complete abolishment of the letter 'R' in the Boston vocabulary is just annoying.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,613,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I will never forget when I went to get some takeout in the Boston area and the guy said, hold on it's shot! I was like "Well, what happened to it?" "He said he was going to check. He came back with the rest of my order. Apparently "shot" means "short". The complete abolishment of the letter 'R' in the Boston vocabulary is just annoying.
Good story, that would confuse me too especially if they speak rapidly.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,036,129 times
Quote:
I find it endearing. One thing that a lot of people from the northeast do that I also do (I grew up around that accent during my formative years and bits of it rubbed off) is to occasionally insert and 'r' where it doesn't belong, specifically if a word ends in a vowel and is before another vowel. I recall telling someone once that I was reading the novel "Reading Lolita(r) in Terhan" (which is a great novel by the way) and then being razed a bit about that by my friends who do not suffer from the same predilection toward "r" abuse as I do.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,019,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
They can deny it all they want, but the fact of the matter is that New York is the most wanted accent in the country. Everybody denies it but deep down they wish they had one.

And shut up with the NY accent is uneducated garbage. My father's from Brooklyn and he's a lawyer, he's got one. His whole family has it. My mother's a doctor, she has it. And from being around my family all the time, I have it.

It's not stupid, it's an accent and yeah, it does make people not want to mess with you. I know from firsthand experience at baseball games. Not just me getting into arguments, but other Yankee fans would start a fight with a fan from somewhere else and once that accent came out, that fan would shut his mouth on the spot.
Yeah...we are really scared of some idiot that talks like he's got marbles in his mouth.....I would pretend I was a mute if I talked with an NY accent so as not to be embarassed by it. By the way,if your folks are so educated,why did you turn out like you did??Just a weak seed I guess.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,019,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think a lot of people just wish they sounded like people from NY
I've never met anyone who had that wish,unless they kept it hid.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,203,948 times
Quote:
I agree! and it's not just Boston, some in NH do it too...my brother and sister in=laws
Soo annoying and they almost do it on purpose I swear.
They didn't even grow up there but think it's cool I guess.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
^It's all of eastern MA, NH and RI. RI has their own interesting little take on the Boston accent. It's sort of a hybrid Boston/Long Island accent.

Many Rhode Islanders don't pronounce "H" at the beginning of a word sometimes. for example, "Huge" becomes "Yuge" in RI. It's funny really.

don't make the mistake of believing we all think it's cool. I am not proud when I drop a few "R"'s after a few drinks or when I'm talking fast. It's not a good thing to me. I love regional dialects and how they add to the character of regions, but I don't like the way many of them sound.... including Bostons.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,467,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I believe the correct term for them would be "Nice Girl".

A buddy of mine once thought about saving this cute little Russian girl but he must have sent her enough cash to tide her over.
I say "nice girl" all the time. So?

Unlike 99% of the rest of the country, we New Yorkers have our own language. Not just accents, but our own vocabulary.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,830,819 times
Oh yeah, i'm one of those uneducated locals NY, that's why I'm a teacher There really is some inferiority complex with Chicagoans. Even my friend from there admitted it. She puts down NY, but she said to me one day, "Many Chicagoans try to convince people they're better than NY, but deep inside, we know NY is superior."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City