U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,502,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
It's about a 62 mile difference, New York being 62 miles closer and 30 minutes closer. But that doesn't matter. This isn't between New York and Philly, this is about the fact that NYC is the greatest city in the world.

London = finance
Paris = fashion
Los Angeles = film
DC = politics
Rome = history

New York = finance, international affairs, fashion, diversity, food, comedy, media, music, politics, history, sports, nightlife, and density all blended in to form the Greatest City in the World
I and many others gotta disagree. Any place that harbors so many self-congratulatory boasters like that sucks in its own rite. NYC is great in many ways, but so is almost every other major city in the world.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Don't care for any of the New England accents.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,502,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I'm 18 years old. And I've lived in London over my whole summer vacation before. I've been to Paris, Tokyo, Osaka, Rome, Naples (yeah Italy), Germany, Croatia, Jamaica, the Netherlands, and many more.

It's obvious you couldn't beat my argument so you point fingers at my age to attempt to shut me up. Reality is I been to more places than you... I'm 99.9% sure of that.

We've got a trip to Moscow planned for mid-January of this coming year.
Man, thats great you've travelled and all, but if you go to these places all hard-headed w/ your "NY FTW" attitude w/o gaining any perspective from any of these places, your opinion is moot. Once you start respecting other folks opinions and stop being so over-defensive of NY, people might start taking you seriously and you might not find yourself at odds with all these other people on here.

If NYC is so great and so big and bad like you claim, it should be able to withstand all this negative criticism and shin on its own. I'm from SF. Do you have ANY idea how much negative criticism we have to endure from the rest of our region, state & country? With all the praise NY receives to counter any criticism you really don't need to trip. If you had to deal with the all the negative opinions we get and took it to heart the way you seem to be doing now, you'd have a heart attack. Just consider what folks say and shrug off what you don't agree with. NY will be fine without you standing up for it.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:29 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Except for the fact that I dont have a Philly accent--my dad does.
so you're saying your dad has a philly accent, but he doesn't have the accent we're talking about, which IS a philly accent? then what type of accent is it?

Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,256,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so you're saying your dad has a philly accent, but he doesn't have the accent we're talking about, which IS a philly accent? then what type of accent is it?
I said he has one, but he doesn't say words like house and phone in any accented way. Words like water, coffee, chocolate, bagel, eagles he says with an accent.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 33,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Any accent from an area of the country that's not indigenous to where you're living is going to sound "weird." EVERY region also has a "speak" that may not be grammatically correct (an example is "yous", but there would be many more in different areas of the country). "Ugly" is only in the ear of the beholder.

I don't live in the UK and most of their accents don't sound "weird" to me

(Some Irish also say 'yous' but manage to sound charming doing it.. )

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,799,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I and many others gotta disagree. Any place that harbors so many self-congratulatory boasters like that sucks in its own rite. NYC is great in many ways, but so is almost every other major city in the world.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:11 AM

16 posts, read 33,261 times
But regardless of the boasters, NY is special, so many famous neighbourhoods with unique place and influence in history.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:24 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,932,819 times
The Philadelphia area/South Jersey/Delaware/Northeastern Maryland is the oddest accent to me. Many people outside of the Northeast think the accent of Philadelphians and New Yorkers is the same. That is FAR from true. The way Philadelphians pronounce certain vowels baffles me.

This girl has the perfect example of a Philadelphia accent, using some terms that are exclusive to the region, as well:
YouTube - Philly Speak

Old 01-01-2009, 01:55 AM

835 posts, read 2,040,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
don't make the mistake of believing we all think it's cool. I am not proud when I drop a few "R"'s after a few drinks or when I'm talking fast. It's not a good thing to me.
You make it sound as though you did something morally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or