U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM

597 posts, read 1,837,646 times

Advertisements

Sad thing is, most kids under 18 sound alike nowadays no matter where they're from. That sameness is pretty ugly to me. I love regional accents. Some are pretty funky though.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
To you maybe. No disrespect intended, but simply in response to the OP I think an NYC or Jersey accent makes people sound uneducated. I've been thrown off before thinking I'm dealing with some meathead based on how they'll sound, and then I'll find out they're actually intelligent. Tough?? Not to me, in any way, though I think folks in your area believe that and it causes them to try and talk a lot tougher than they actually are. No disrespect to you, but that has been my experience.

As for the Boston accent, I actually get a kick out of it. It's been funny to me ever since the Simpsons episode where Mayor Quimby's relative keeps screaming "chowdah!" So a Boston accent entertains me.

You're probably hearing the different dialects of a NY accent. There's the jewish one, italian, and hispanic one.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,800,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Southern Accent AKA PAULA DEEN!!! drives me up the wall

but i love the minnasota accent aka Fargo.
Paula Deen hyperbolizes her accent the same way Bush does with the Texas accent (I could be wrong but I doubt it).

Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 AM

398 posts, read 1,132,513 times
I'd say the Boston accent. I grew up in CT so most of the New England/New York accents don't bother me, but for some reason the Boston accent really gets on my nerves.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
I cringe when I hear things like "Y'all" and "I am fixin' to do..." etc. Nothing against southerners, but I can not stand your accent. It is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Words like "Y'all" just sound stupid to me, and that twang, yikes!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,797,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I cringe when I hear things like "Y'all" and "I am fixin' to do..." etc. Nothing against southerners, but I can not stand your accent. It is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Words like "Y'all" just sound stupid to me, and that twang, yikes!
You think THAT'S bad (I hate the Y'all thing too) ...around here some people say "you'ins"(or yins is more like it) for "you all".That about takes the cake for stupid sounding imo.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,800,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
What about they're, they'll, can't, won't, she'll, I'd,etc. Keep in mind that saying you-all is considered a Southern saying too.

Out of all the different ways to address two or more people which one sounds the smartest?
Southern: y'all or you-all
Appalachia/Western PA/Upper South: You-uns or you ones
Northeastern:Youse or ?

I not dogging you but the lower South came up with you-all and then contracted it into y'all...to be fair i cringed when I heard you-uns in TN.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
What about they're, they'll, can't, won't, she'll, I'd,etc. Keep in mind that saying you-all is considered a Southern saying too.

Out of all the different ways to address two or more people which one sounds the smartest?
Southern: y'all or you-all
Appalachia/Western PA/Upper South: You-uns or you ones
Northeastern:Youse or ?

I not dogging you but the lower South came up with you-all and then contracted it into y'all...to be fair i cringed when I heard you-uns in TN.
I don't see how you are "dogging me."

I am not saying any one way sounds "smarter" or "more intellectual" per se, I just think "Y'all" sounds stupid. The twang makes me cringe. "You'ins" sounds stupid to me as well. Saying things like "How much do you like?" when you want to know how much is left to do is something I can't stand either. "Fixin' to do something" sounds stupid to me. I don't mean stupid as in "I think the way you talk makes you sound like a stupid person," I mean stupid as in "the way you phrase things sounds stupid."

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM

18,264 posts, read 6,947,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Anywhere in the Deep South. Southern accents make people sound slow and dull-witted, and I associate the accent with televangelist preachers.

Good I am not the only one who thinks that

Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,700,795 times
Funny how some people say NYC accents sound like they're uneducated. I've heard most people say the south sounds uneducated based on their accents. Of course you can't generalize an entire area though. Also, can't judge how smart/unintelligent someone is just based on their accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or