U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,794,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Milwaukee Ale House sucks, Water Street is hardly any better, and Lakefront is OK but pretty forgettable -- it'll do in a pinch but it's not worth going out of one's way to pick up their stuff. Stonefly is basically a neighborhood joint that doesn't seem to have any ambition of expanding its reach, and what the hell is Horny Goat??

Anyway, the foregoing reasons is why I prefer Madison over Milwaukee as a beer town.
Are you really criticizing Stonefly for being too local? Didn't you just go on a tirade about how Rock Bottom breweries were too commercial?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 AM

35,927 posts, read 55,427,643 times
Wishing Stonefly would take some initiative to get the word out about itself is not the same as wanting it to blossom into a national chain. There's a lot of room in between -- but I suspect you already knew that. It's hard to have a reputation as a craft-beer city if nobody knows about the one place in town that actually makes decent beer. At any rate Milwaukee's craft-brewing scene pales in comparison to its reputation, or at least its reputation among CD posters. Madison may not have as many local breweries (but only barely) but at least the ones that are there actually reach for something besides passable. The same can't be said for Milwaukee Ale House and Water Street; arguably the same goes for Lakefront, though I suspect they actually do aim higher... but they mostly miss.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:58 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,200,407 times
Hey jjacobeclark are any places selling or have Surly beer(s) on tap in the Milwaukee area? If so and in case you haven't tried it, I suggest you try their Furious and/or Bender. It's become my favorite local beer.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,420,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Well if Denver gets to count breweries in Ft. Collins and Boulder, does that mean Milwaukee can count breweries in Madison and the Fox Valley? Seems only fair. I already stated in my first post in this thread that New Belgium is my favorite brewery, however, aside from them, many of the breweries you mentioned are nothing special imo. Left Hand is probably the best brewery actually located in the Denver area, with Flying Dog coming in a close 2nd. Like MilwCity already mentioned, here in Milwaukee, we can have any of these beers we're discussing any time we want.

Here is just a sampling of some microbrews and imports that are listed in Discount Liquor's in-store flyer:

Dogfish Head (DE)
Great Lakes (OH)
the Bruery (CA)
Left Hand (CO)
Corsendonk (Belgium)
Sand Creek (WI)
Magic Hat (VT)
Flying Dog (CO)
Summit (MN)
Goose Island (IL)
Berghoff (IL)
Capital (WI)
Unibroue (Canada)
Van Steenberge (Belgium)
Hacker Pschorr (Germany)
3 Floyds (IN)
Scaldis (Belgium)
Bitburger (Germany)
Sierra Nevada (CA)
Avery Dugana (CO)
Pyramid (CA)
Chimay (Belgium)
New Glarus (WI)
Stone (CA)
Tyranena (WI)
Lindeman's (Belgium)
Anchor (CA)
Shiner (TX)
Viking (WI)
Rogue (OR)
We get all those beers too. I'm just talking about where the best beers are based out of.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Hey jjacobeclark are any places selling or have Surly beer(s) on tap in the Milwaukee area? If so and in case you haven't tried it, I suggest you try their Furious and/or Bender. It's become my favorite local beer.
Can't say I've ever heard of it, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
We get all those beers too. I'm just talking about where the best beers are based out of.
Sorry, but I'm having a lot of trouble believing that you can get all of those beers I listed in Boston. I know that the farthest points east where you can find New Belgium is Georgia and the Carolinas. Not a single one of the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic states have it. New Glarus doesn't distribute beyond the state of Wisconsin. And I imagine that beer from places Indiana, Cleveland, and Chicago wouldn't be too sought after in the Northeast either. I think you're exaggerating.

That list I posted had a lot of CA's, CO's, and WI's on it if that's any indication as to where the best beers are based out of.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:17 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,420,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Sorry, but I'm having a lot of trouble believing that you can get all of those beers I listed in Boston. I know that the farthest points east where you can find New Belgium is Georgia and the Carolinas. Not a single one of the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic states have it. New Glarus doesn't distribute beyond the state of Wisconsin. And I imagine that beer from places Indiana, Cleveland, and Chicago wouldn't be too sought after in the Northeast either. I think you're exaggerating.

That list I posted had a lot of CA's, CO's, and WI's on it if that's any indication as to where the best beers are based out of.
Actually, you're right about New Belgium. I went to school in South Carolina, so they had it available when I went and visited this past fall. My father actually has a trucking/transportation company in Colorado which shipped for New Belgium, so he would occassionally bring some home...so I never really thought twice about the source of New Belgium in our area. My bad on that one. I can probably get any one of those beers at Sunset Grill in Brighton (If you're a beer lover, then click that link, click "Beers" on the right and download their beer menu). Let me take a look at the list again...I will just bold the ones that I've tried in our area.

Dogfish Head (DE)
Great Lakes (OH) ... I think I've had it here...
the Bruery (CA)
Left Hand (CO)
Corsendonk (Belgium)
Sand Creek (WI)
Magic Hat (VT)
Flying Dog (CO)
Summit (MN)
Goose Island (IL) ... sounds familiar ...
Berghoff (IL)
Capital (WI)
Unibroue (Canada)
Van Steenberge (Belgium)
Hacker Pschorr (Germany)
3 Floyds (IN) ... also sounds familiar ...
Scaldis (Belgium)
Bitburger (Germany)
Sierra Nevada (CA)
Avery Dugana (CO)
Pyramid (CA)
Chimay (Belgium)
New Glarus (WI)
Stone (CA)
Tyranena (WI)
Lindeman's (Belgium)
Anchor (CA)
Shiner (TX)
Viking (WI)
Rogue (OR)

Either way, my point wasn't "we can get everything you can"...because I'm sure there's plenty of regular beers we get that are unavailable out there. I was just saying we all have access to craft brews which are produced beyond our own borders.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:55 PM

594 posts, read 954,955 times
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Seattle area. Its the home of famous nationwide beers like Pyramid and Red Hook, as well as tons of great smaller breweries (just to name some):

Anacortes Brewery
Bear Creek Brewing Company
Big Horn Brewing Company
Big Time Brewery and Alehouse
Black Raven Brewing
Dad Watson's Brewery
Druids' Brewing
Elliot Bay Brewing Company
Elysian Brewing Company
Fremont Brewing
Georgetown Brewing Company
Hale's Ales Brewery and Pub
Mac and Jack's Brewing Co.
Maritime Pacific Brewing Company
Pike Brewing Company
Pyramid
Redhook Ale Brewery
Six Arms Brewpub
Waimea Brewpub

Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,420,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Top Five Beer Towns in the U.S.*|*Men’s Journal

SD has a good amount of quality breweries.

These two strike me more as more wine/cocktails and coffee type cities, not so much beer.
Seattle actually has a well respected microbrew scene -

Elysian
Red Hook
Hale's Ale
Pike Brewing
Pyramid
Mac and Jack's

...are some of the more well known brewers.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM

138 posts, read 309,673 times
Wow...I never knew Portland was known for any Beer, I thought Lobster was there claim to fame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City