U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,966,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Actually, you're right about New Belgium. I went to school in South Carolina, so they had it available when I went and visited this past fall. My father actually has a trucking/transportation company in Colorado which shipped for New Belgium, so he would occassionally bring some home...so I never really thought twice about the source of New Belgium in our area. My bad on that one. I can probably get any one of those beers at Sunset Grill in Brighton (If you're a beer lover, then click that link, click "Beers" on the right and download their beer menu). Let me take a look at the list again...I will just bold the ones that I've tried in our area.

Dogfish Head (DE)
Great Lakes (OH) ... I think I've had it here...
the Bruery (CA)
Left Hand (CO)
Corsendonk (Belgium)
Sand Creek (WI)
Magic Hat (VT)
Flying Dog (CO)
Summit (MN)
Goose Island (IL) ... sounds familiar ...
Berghoff (IL)
Capital (WI)
Unibroue (Canada)
Van Steenberge (Belgium)
Hacker Pschorr (Germany)
3 Floyds (IN) ... also sounds familiar ...
Scaldis (Belgium)
Bitburger (Germany)
Sierra Nevada (CA)
Avery Dugana (CO)
Pyramid (CA)
Chimay (Belgium)
New Glarus (WI)
Stone (CA)
Tyranena (WI)
Lindeman's (Belgium)
Anchor (CA)
Shiner (TX)
Viking (WI)
Rogue (OR)

Either way, my point wasn't "we can get everything you can"...because I'm sure there's plenty of regular beers we get that are unavailable out there. I was just saying we all have access to craft brews which are produced beyond our own borders.
Fair enough, and that's pretty many from my list. It's just been my experience that Wisconsin has the largest beer and liquor selection of any of the states I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,112,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Fair enough, and that's pretty many from my list. It's just been my experience that Wisconsin has the largest beer and liquor selection of any of the states I've been to.
Very well could be. It would make sense that Wisconsin's central location would allow it to get lots of beer from both coasts and everywhere in between. What are some of your favorite types of beer?

Are you able to get your hands on Victory, Southern Tier, Lagunitas, or Pizza Port Brewing out there? If so and you haven't tried them yet, they're definitely worth it.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-17-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Hey jjacobeclark are any places selling or have Surly beer(s) on tap in the Milwaukee area? If so and in case you haven't tried it, I suggest you try their Furious and/or Bender. It's become my favorite local beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Can't say I've ever heard of it, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
Surly is quickly becoming the New Glarus of the Twin Cities region. It should be available in Milwaukee, perhaps not widely yet though.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very well could be. It would make sense that Wisconsin's central location would allow it to get lots of beer from both coasts and everywhere in between. What are some of your favorite types of beer?

Are you able to get your hands on Victory, Southern Tier, Lagunitas, or Pizza Port Brewing out there? If so and you haven't tried them yet, they're definitely worth it.
The former three are pretty widely available throughout the Midwest; I think Port (they dropped "Pizza" at least for national distribution) just recently made it out here. I'm starting to see it on shelves in Illinois, which is typically the last Midwest state to get distribution of new craft beers (or rather, beers that are new to the region).

Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM

83 posts, read 69,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Madison may not have as many local breweries (but only barely) but at least the ones that are there actually reach for something besides passable. The same can't be said for Milwaukee Ale House and Water Street; arguably the same goes for Lakefront, though I suspect they actually do aim higher... but they mostly miss.

Gee Drover,
What's up with hating on some of the other Milwaukee microbrewers besides Stonefly? Milwaukee Ale House/Milwaukee Brewing is not merely passable, they brew with pride and the beer is on par with anything out of Madison and a couple ales I've tasted, like Louies Demise and Solomon Juneau have far more character and body than most Great Dane or Capital ales. Have you gotten the chance to do a tasting of all these side by side, or are you going by random encounters with the beers weeks/months apart? Water Street has plenty of awards throughout the years as well, although they have been slacking of late. Lakefront is a very good brewery except for their Monkey and Grist beers. Lakefront is currently hanging with the big boys in Germany! (see link below) You are not still into that Goose Island swill are ya?
Lakefront Brewery honored in European beer competition - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:

Sprecher has more than a few quality beers, like their Germanfest Maibock or their Black Bavarian (mmmmm) I will be glad to spring $$ for an entire session of beer tasting to prove you wrong! Of course its personal preference but Milwaukee microbrews should be high on anyone's list.

Last edited by The Mayor of Mil-Town; 12-17-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM

It's easy to hate on breweries that suck. Let me know where I sung the praises of Goose Island beers because I don't recall having done so. As for Sprecher, they are also a letdown IMO. But they will always have a soft spot in my heart on account of their Black Bavarian, which started me down the craft-brew path back in the mid-90s. It's still the best beer in their lineup by far.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
It's easy to hate on breweries that suck. Let me know where I sung the praises of Goose Island beers because I don't recall having done so. As for Sprecher, they are also a letdown IMO. But they will always have a soft spot in my heart on account of their Black Bavarian, which started me down the craft-brew path back in the mid-90s. It's still the best beer in their lineup by far.

That's pretty rude isn't it? Closeminded and inaccurate too IMO since those breweries make alot of different styles of beers which do not suck. Lakefront is winning awards in Germany and Drover says they suck. Go figure. Sprecher is consistently graded well above average and sometimes excellent. You must have a former dorm buddy/lover who really likes those sissyfoot Madison concoctions.

Last edited by The Mayor of Mil-Town; 12-17-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM

I didn't say they suck, I said Water Street and Milwaukee Ale House suck. And I stand by that. Any brewery I walk into and the first thing I smell is diacetyl doesn't rank very highly in my book.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they suck, I said Water Street and Milwaukee Ale House suck. And I stand by that. Any brewery I walk into and the first thing I smell is diacetyl doesn't rank very highly in my book.

Hohoho. I don't care for hints of "Fabio Butter" in my beer either Drover. Nice to meet another beer "commonsewer"
However sir, neither of those breweries smells like a carmelcorn stand at the mall. When is the last time you went for crying out loud ? Also wondering have you ever been to the Terminal in Milwaukee?
I can't blame you if Water Street Brewery pissed you off. Its mostly for tourists or the drunken Marquette alum on Water Street who drink that stuff, but they do have a couple nice ales. Keep in mind a couple of the beers at these places may have the diacetyl to style but you cannot ever smell it coming through the door!

OK I will buy the next round. I am not a big fan of Irish red beers, but the Ale House has an Irish red that is pritayyy good. Their Belgian pale ale is also a great one in my book and I normally HATE orange flavor/aromas in beer. Flaming Damsel is a nicely balanced session brew at Ale House.

(BTW truth be told, Stonefly doesnt get good very good marks, not in my book nor on some review sites I've seen-better than Water Steet but not as good as Lakefront)

Last edited by The Mayor of Mil-Town; 12-17-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM

I can and I did smell it walking into Milwaukee Ale House. It's been a couple years since I've been to MAH or Water Street since I tend not to give repeat business to places that suck. But I also keep tabs on what others have to say about local/regional breweries and their offerings through several different review sites, and the general consensus is that not much has changed at those two. So it doesn't look like I'll be back any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City