Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia!

Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales | Off-centered stuff for off-centered people
Dock Street Beer - Beer List (http://www.dockstreetbeer.com/beer-list.htm - broken link)
Yards Brewing Company - Philadelphia Pale Ale (http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales_philadelphia-pale.asp - broken link)
Flying Fish • Beers
Philadelphia Brewing Co® - Philadelphia PA (http://www.philadelphiabrewing.com/brews.html - broken link)
Victory Brewing Company :: Award Winning Craft Brewery (http://www.victorybeer.com/home.aspx - broken link)
Iron Hill Brewery - House Beers
Nodding Head - Philadelphia
Triumph Brewing Company (http://www.triumphbrewing.com/indexfl6.html - broken link)
Stoudt's - Brewery
Legacy Brewing Co. : Fine Crafted Beers : Reading, PA
SLY FOX BEER | Phoenixville & Royersford Pennsylvania | Craft Brewed Beer | Microbrewery & Restaurant in PA
Earth Bread + Brewery, Philadelphia, PA, (Mt. Airy)
Twin Lakes Brewing Company
Weyerbacher Brewing Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:18 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,862,819 times
I can't think of 5 cities that include Portland Or, and Denver. They're in a class all their own. In both, tons of breweries, hops actually grow there, and great beer culture/fun towns

Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Umm, see above?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,044,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I absolutely HATE Coors...but Denver/Rocky Mountains more than make up for it with their many incredible micro/craft breweries. To name a few off the top of my head...Great Divide, Boulder Beer Company, Flying Dog, O'Dells, Left Hand, Avery, Fort Collins Brewing, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, and Tommyknocker...I'm sure there are other great ones I didn't mention either.
Flying Dog is now out of Maryland.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
What precipitated this?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,044,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What precipitated this?
I'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that most of their (Flying Dog) business was on the East Coast. Flying Dog had purchased the Wild Goose brewery a while back and now produces Wild Goose, Terrapin, and a few others.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Well, kind of. It's headquarters is still in Denver, but the production of the beer itself is now in Maryland...so take what you will from that.

It's similar to Sam Adams in Boston...almost none of it is brewed here, but all the administrative stuff is still in Boston.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXengefire View Post
Why San Diego?
The Top Five Beer Towns in the U.S.*|*Men’s Journal

SD has a good amount of quality breweries.

Quote:
Beer cities that come to mind

San Francisco
Seattle
These two strike me more as more wine/cocktails and coffee type cities, not so much beer.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Top Five Beer Towns in the U.S.*|*Men’s Journal

SD has a good amount of quality breweries.

These two strike me more as more wine/cocktails and coffee type cities, not so much beer.
San Diego is a kick-ass beer town. Two of my favorite breweries come from that area, Stone and Ballast Point.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I absolutely HATE Coors...but Denver/Rocky Mountains more than make up for it with their many incredible micro/craft breweries. To name a few off the top of my head...Great Divide, Boulder Beer Company, Flying Dog, O'Dells, Left Hand, Avery, Fort Collins Brewing, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, and Tommyknocker...I'm sure there are other great ones I didn't mention either.
Well if Denver gets to count breweries in Ft. Collins and Boulder, does that mean Milwaukee can count breweries in Madison and the Fox Valley? Seems only fair. I already stated in my first post in this thread that New Belgium is my favorite brewery, however, aside from them, many of the breweries you mentioned are nothing special imo. Left Hand is probably the best brewery actually located in the Denver area, with Flying Dog coming in a close 2nd. Like MilwCity already mentioned, here in Milwaukee, we can have any of these beers we're discussing any time we want.

Here is just a sampling of some microbrews and imports that are listed in Discount Liquor's in-store flyer:

Dogfish Head (DE)
Great Lakes (OH)
the Bruery (CA)
Left Hand (CO)
Corsendonk (Belgium)
Sand Creek (WI)
Magic Hat (VT)
Flying Dog (CO)
Summit (MN)
Goose Island (IL)
Berghoff (IL)
Capital (WI)
Unibroue (Canada)
Van Steenberge (Belgium)
Hacker Pschorr (Germany)
3 Floyds (IN)
Scaldis (Belgium)
Bitburger (Germany)
Sierra Nevada (CA)
Avery Dugana (CO)
Pyramid (CA)
Chimay (Belgium)
New Glarus (WI)
Stone (CA)
Tyranena (WI)
Lindeman's (Belgium)
Anchor (CA)
Shiner (TX)
Viking (WI)
Rogue (OR)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City