U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 10 most populated states.. which one would you least prefer to live in.
California 17 10.76%
Texas 21 13.29%
New York 8 5.06%
Florida 26 16.46%
Illinois 8 5.06%
Pennsylvania 5 3.16%
Ohio 12 7.59%
Michigan 38 24.05%
Georgia 13 8.23%
North Carolina (Replaced "New Jersey" after 7 votes were cast for this choice) 10 6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,202,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I voted Jersey simply because North Carolina has surpassed Jerseys population to become the 10th most populous state.

List of U.S. states by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And they are actually saying that NC may pass GA by the 2010 census with current migration. Where GA just grows mostly in Atlanta, NC is everywhere!
Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Charlotte, and even Statesville seems to be going nuts lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 AM

6,046 posts, read 9,745,185 times
I voted Michigan as least favorite, just because it seems to be the worst of all the options. But the only places I would like to live on that list are Georgia and Florida.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM

64 posts, read 62,663 times
If you look at these states they are some of the most desirable, at least in my opinon, and you could do a lot worse than these 10.

Most desirable to least for me

1. Georgia- It's my home state and its very beautiful. Nature everywhere, trees lakes, beaches, birds, the piedmonts. Intresting and lively cities, Atlanta, Savannah, Macon. Great colleges, University of GA, Emory, Spelman.

2. Florida- Specifically South Florida. Sunshine, year round access to the beach, fishing, biking, running outside in the middle of winter.

3. New York- Mainly New York City. Unrivaled diversity, nightlife, culture, excitment, job oppertunites.

4. Texas- Unique blend of southern and southwestern cultures. Large cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin to explore. Milder winters than most of the country but the drawback are the brutal summers.

5. California, gorgous beaches and sunshine. Great amount of diversity and many places to choose from, Bay Area, SD, LA, etc. Cons are the high cost of living, illegal immigration, and natural disasters.

6. Illinois- If I ever lived there it would be Chicago. Museums, art galleries, restaurants, night life. Cons, geographical isolation, high crime, and bonechilling winters.

7. Pennsylvania- Great balance of nature and countryside with urban areas like Philly and Pittsburgh. Cons are the population loss of the cities, sluggish economy, and bad weather.

8. Ohio- Lots of cities to choose from, Cleveland, Cinncinati, Columbus, draw backs are bad economy and the weather sucks yet again.

9. North Carolina- Nices beaches, fishing, friendly people. Draw backs, too rural and the most popular state right now. Its a great state but I'd never fit in there.

10. Michigan- Gorgous nature, Ann Arbor, Great Lakes, cons are horrible winters, bad economies, and high crime cities like Detroit and Flint.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,973,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I've never understood what the point of living in New Jersey is?
I'd be glad to help you understand, if you're really open to learning. Let me know!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,726,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I've never understood what the point of living in New Jersey is?

Me either.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM

327 posts, read 929,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Then you must have never lived in New Jersey.
I used to think the same thing until I was transfered there in 1992.
Yuck! Jersey:
Newark, Camden, Smell, Crime, Smoke Stacks, Concrete, No Way.

Well, lived there twice for a total of 10 years.
New Jersey is now my adopted hometown. It's main drawback is high taxation due to the population constantly electing Liberal Democrats ie. Comrade Corzine and his ilk.

Jersey ole Jersey. The cities close by New York New York and Philadelphia Oh My!
We have the Eagles, The Giants, and the Jet's too.
We have Hockey, Basketball, and minor ball to name a few.
The best pizza in the world and hogies galore.
Jersey has it's gardens, the mountains, and yes it's shore.
So fly into Jersey and escape from the plane. Tour the city and the Piney's and you will be in the game.

Darn, I'm a poet and didn't know it.

amazing,.....jersey is a great place to live. i grew up in Queens NY and moved to Jersey in my teens and felt the same...eww Jersey, but i soon realized that it just is a great place. Endless amounts of things to do, and at any time of the day you can chill with someone. ....its just soo packed, but in a good way

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,202,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Me either.
My Dear Rachael, let me repeat my previous post.
If you ever attempt to cross the river you will be surprised

Repeat from previous
Yuck! Jersey:

New Jersey is now my adopted hometown. It's main drawback is high taxation due to the population constantly electing Liberal Democrats ie. Comrade Corzine and his ilk.

Jersey ole Jersey. The cities close by New York New York and Philadelphia Oh My!
So fly into Jersey and escape from the plane. Tour the city and the Piney's and you will be in the game.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,697,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
amazing,.....jersey is a great place to live. i grew up in Queens NY and moved to Jersey in my teens and felt the same...eww Jersey, but i soon realized that it just is a great place. Endless amounts of things to do, and at any time of the day you can chill with someone. ....its just soo packed, but in a good way
I think Jersey suffers from being so close to the country's most snobby people.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,865,854 times
3. New York- Mainly New York City. Unrivaled diversity, nightlife, culture, excitment, job oppertunites.

Wow, if you think NYC is all there is to New York State, I feel really sorry for you!!

New York is a large state (for the Northeast) and has two mountain ranges, two Great Lakes, more big waterfalls than you shake a stick at, great larger and smaller cities like Buffalo, Rochester and Ithaca, a lakes district that is as beautiful as any in Europe (with vineyards!), the best ski areas in the East, a cool statewide canal network, Native American culture... oh yes it has NYC too.

And way better schools than almost any other state in the country I might add.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,726,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
My Dear Rachael, let me repeat my previous post.
If you ever attempt to cross the river you will be surprised

Repeat from previous
Yuck! Jersey:

I already saw that post. A lot people think NJ is no big deal. There's a reason why there's 6 votes so far. And as a matter of fact, I didn't pick NJ. I would rather live there than some other places in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or