U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 10 most populated states.. which one would you least prefer to live in.
California 17 10.76%
Texas 21 13.29%
New York 8 5.06%
Florida 26 16.46%
Illinois 8 5.06%
Pennsylvania 5 3.16%
Ohio 12 7.59%
Michigan 38 24.05%
Georgia 13 8.23%
North Carolina (Replaced "New Jersey" after 7 votes were cast for this choice) 10 6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 AM

6,823 posts, read 9,388,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Whats up with you and your hatred for NJ??
Its part of the urban superiority complex which is common to some New Yorkers. Most of New Jersey, except for parts of Hudson county and a few of the richer suburbs is not part of the "Acceptable Zone". Either is LI or most parts of the "Outer Boroughs". Staten Island in particular gets made fun of all the time. I hear it occasionally since I moved back to Loonnggg Guyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 AM

6,823 posts, read 9,388,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I've never understood what the point of living in New Jersey is?
What is the point of living in any particular place? What is the point of living in Sweden (Ok beautiful blonde women)?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 AM

2,646 posts, read 5,000,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its part of the urban superiority complex which is common to some New Yorkers. Most of New Jersey, except for parts of Hudson county and a few of the richer suburbs is not part of the "Acceptable Zone". Either is LI or most parts of the "Outer Boroughs". Staten Island in particular gets made fun of all the time. I hear it occasionally since I moved back to Loonnggg Guyland.

You are correct, but what I find most amusing is the fact that the rest of the country tries to follow suit on the Jersey jokes. Like NYC holds them in high regard. You are riding the coattails of a place that dislikes you too! They dislike everyone who is not them.

And there you have it........................... Suckers.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,938,601 times
Michigan. No thanks. Cold, grey weather, terrible economy, EXTREME white flight, EXTREME residential racial segregation, crime ridden, decaying, aesthetically unattractive.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,241,839 times
Florida. Way too much traffic and congestion, lots of bad architecture, humidity, old people, tourists, etc.

I've only been to a small part of California (Lake Tahoe), but it was during the off-season for tourism and the locals seemed braindead. So, based on that... California is also at the bottom (unfair, I know).

Topping my list would be 1. Michigan, 2. Illinois and 3. Ohio. YUP. That's right. I like rural midwestern living. I like to watch the corn grow. I realize that one of the biggest "insults" thrown around on this site is that there's nothing but a bunch of "boring farmland" in a given place, but I think the opposing viewpoint needs to be heard. I grew up on a farm and hope to have one of my own someday. I never get tired of looking at them, either.

The best part about Michigan (for me) is that I can live in the typical Midwestern flatlands and be surrounded by cornfields, and only be an hour from Lake Michigan beaches that I personally like better than anything I've seen on the Atlantic or Gulf coasts.

Not to mention my favorite place in the world, the Silver Lake Sand Dunes:

Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 AM

20,962 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Florida. Way too much traffic and congestion, lots of bad architecture, humidity, old people, tourists, etc.

I've only been to a small part of California (Lake Tahoe), but it was during the off-season for tourism and the locals seemed braindead. So, based on that... California is also at the bottom (unfair, I know).

Topping my list would be 1. Michigan, 2. Illinois and 3. Ohio. YUP. That's right. I like rural midwestern living. I like to watch the corn grow. I realize that one of the biggest "insults" thrown around on this site is that there's nothing but a bunch of "boring farmland" in a given place, but I think the opposing viewpoint needs to be heard. I grew up on a farm and hope to have one of my own someday. I never get tired of looking at them, either.

The best part about Michigan (for me) is that I can live in the typical Midwestern flatlands and be surrounded by cornfields, and only be an hour from Lake Michigan beaches that I personally like better than anything I've seen on the Atlantic or Gulf coasts.

Not to mention my favorite place in the world, the Silver Lake Sand Dunes:
Good for you...someone needs to take up for MI, a truly beautiful state IMO. Years ago my husband and I rented a car in Chicago and drove along the Lake Michigan coast up to Mackinac Is. It was one of the best trips that we ever took and the scenery was breathtaking.
As for NJ, my husband and I were big biking enthusiasts when we lived in Brooklyn and spent a lot of time in NJ on the weekends (Ringwood State Park was a favorite destination). Once you get away from the urbanity of NE NJ, there are plenty of beautiful areas in that state. My college roommate was from Chatham, NJ (lovely community) and I watched her having to constantly defend her home state to the other students...I felt so sorry for her!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 PM

5,649 posts, read 13,610,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Michigan. No thanks. Cold, grey weather, terrible economy, EXTREME white flight, EXTREME residential racial segregation, crime ridden, decaying, aesthetically unattractive.
Um, sounds like you are trying to describe Detroit, which is but a small corner of MI. Ever been up to the UP? Traverse City? Mackinac Island?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,444,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You are correct, but what I find most amusing is the fact that the rest of the country tries to follow suit on the Jersey jokes. Like NYC holds them in high regard. You are riding the coattails of a place that dislikes you too! They dislike everyone who is not them.

And there you have it........................... Suckers.
A fact eh? Don't hear many Jersey jokes here in Pittsburgh, and I simply can't imagine we'd be able to come up with any of our own if we cared enough.
Don't you realize there are many parts of the country that make fun of NYC? Most of us could care less about your approval. After all, we're not the ones telling people what they can and cannot eat.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,964,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Um, sounds like you are trying to describe Detroit, which is but a small corner of MI. Ever been up to the UP? Traverse City? Mackinac Island?
- another misunderstood state. but what's really sad is people don't even have an INTEREST in learning. i think that's my biggest beef on this board.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,549,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
I've never understood what the point of living in New Jersey is?
Jersey isn't such a bad place, it just gets a bad name from the parts of North Jersey closest to NYC, like Newark and Paterson, and other cities like Camden and Trenton. The south Jersey beaches and the mountains of northwest NJ are very nice scenic areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or