U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state do you think is most trashed talk?
New York 4 4.44%
Michigan 9 10.00%
Ohio 2 2.22%
California 19 21.11%
New Jersey 20 22.22%
Texas 23 25.56%
Florida 2 2.22%
Georgia 0 0%
Massachusetts 0 0%
Pennsylvania 0 0%
Other 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,025,154 times

Advertisements

What state do you think is most Trashed Talk?

I hear a lot of hatred towards Ohio for some reason.. I never been there to know why.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,091,211 times
Michigan and California.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM

8,262 posts, read 13,546,695 times
EVery state has haters. The bigger states just have more.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,422,475 times
New Jersey hands down. I hear so much trash talk about the state.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM

893 posts, read 2,461,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
New Jersey hands down. I hear so much trash talk about the state.
I agree with this.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,593,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
EVery state has haters. The bigger states just have more.
BINGO, glad to see that someone besides me has seen the pattern.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:42 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,262,312 times
I have a major gripe with the state of Iowa. I want to give it to Canada.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM

6,823 posts, read 9,388,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
What state do you think is most Trashed Talk?

I hear a lot of hatred towards Ohio for some reason.. I never been there to know why.
All the states you mentioned get trashed sometimes. Massachusetts gets it a bit less and it is not so much Georgia as the city of Atlanta but basically they all do.

The "winners" of this category imo:

1. New Jersey The New Jersey Turnpike (I95) goes through the most industrialized parts of the state. But there is alot of nice suburbs, farms, forests etc that most travelers do not see. Good location also.
2. Michigan Ok Detroit is not doing so well. But go to the other 90% of the state you would think you are in Wisconsin, NY or Maine.
3. Ohio Rustbelt central. Betrayed by our Federal government (lets have free trade with third world countries making 15 cents an hour) Still the state is in a good location and will come back.
4. California Our #1 state in wealth, population etc. Alot of jealously and competition. Californians make up over 10% of the US population and people tend to remember the bad things that they do but not the good things.

Last edited by LINative; 01-05-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,247,246 times
I'd have to say Alabama, simply because I have lived here for 16 years. I'm just amazed at the number of gratuitous slurs by people who have never even driven through the state on the Interstate, let alone actually visited for more than a day. I mean, phone conversations with people I've never met, newspapers in foreign countries, conferences, you name it.

Case in point? I was at a conference in San Diego a few years ago, and the speaker was talking about Nova Scotia. And he said, "Now if you don't know the Canadian provinces, it's kind of like Alabama." This elicited a horselaugh from the crowd of Californians. So I lifted my hand.

"Excuse me. I'm from Alabama. What are you trying to say?"

So this guy fumbles around for about thirty seconds. He just couldn't come up with a good answer.

"So have you been to Alabama?"

"Well, no."

"Okay," I said and sat down. To his credit, he came over to my table afterwards and bought me lunch. Then we had a great time talking.

But it's amazing the junk you here from people who have never even been in this part of the country. It's like shorthand or something. Heck, I don't think all people from New Jersey are mobsters. I don't think people from California are a bunch of granola eating weirdos. But there seems to be this latent prejudice by people who just know nothing about what is actually a pretty surprising part of the country.

I used to let that stuff slide, but I've gotten to the point in life where nothing annoys more than ignorance.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM

6,823 posts, read 9,388,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd have to say Alabama, simply because I have lived here for 16 years. I'm just amazed at the number of gratuitous slurs by people who have never even driven through the state on the Interstate, let alone actually visited for more than a day. I mean, phone conversations with people I've never met, newspapers in foreign countries, conferences, you name it.

Case in point? I was at a conference in San Diego a few years ago, and the speaker was talking about Nova Scotia. And he said, "Now if you don't know the Canadian provinces, it's kind of like Alabama." This elicited a horselaugh from the crowd of Californians. So I lifted my hand.

"Excuse me. I'm from Alabama. What are you trying to say?"

So this guy fumbles around for about thirty seconds. He just couldn't come up with a good answer.

"So have you been to Alabama?"

"Well, no."

"Okay," I said and sat down. To his credit, he came over to my table afterwards and bought me lunch. Then we had a great time talking.

But it's amazing the junk you here from people who have never even been in this part of the country. It's like shorthand or something. Heck, I don't think all people from New Jersey are mobsters. I don't think people from California are a bunch of granola eating weirdos. But there seems to be this latent prejudice by people who just know nothing about what is actually a pretty surprising part of the country.

I used to let that stuff slide, but I've gotten to the point in life where nothing annoys more than ignorance.
The South in general seems to be target #1 of comedians. It is ok (not my opinion) to use Southerners (especially rednecks) as the American hillbilly version of "Pollocks". The southern accent in particular is so drawn out and exaggerated to make it sound stupid.

But you are not alone. It is also open season on people who dare to live in the NY suburbs. Anywhere inside the "Acceptable Zone" of Manhattan and its annexed colonies lol (parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Hudson County, NJ) is good.

For those of us who live on the outside are considered a bit slower, poorer (omg why don't you live in The City - is it the money?) and speak with a funny accent. Most of the outer boroughs (especially Staten Island) , "Loonng Guyland", and most of all, "Jersey" get it all the time.

Ok I am exaggeratting a bit - but I do know some people like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or