U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yes, but within that metro there are two separate metros. (Washington-Arlington-Alexandria and the Baltimore-Towson) They are just generally included as part of a larger one though.

Right! My point is if Baltimore is the big brother/sister in the picture, then shouldn't it be the Bos-Bal corridor? How does "Wash" steal that spot? Just pointing out an incongruity here. Think outside the box. Moderator cut: off-topic I should have two golden stars.

Maybe. Maybe not.
Right...there is the Baltimore MSA and the Washington D.C. MSA, and together they make up the Washington-Baltimore CSA.

It's obvious that Washington D.C. is the more important and well-known city...it would be that way with almost any city sitting beside it because it's the capital of the U.S. It really doesn't matter that Baltimore's population is larger - if it was MUCH larger, like 2 million or more, then it might be a different story. But as long as D.C. is the capital it will be listed and thought of before Baltimore.

Last edited by Bo; 02-20-2009 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Right...there is the Baltimore MSA and the Washington D.C. MSA, and together they make up the Washington-Baltimore CSA.

It's obvious that Washington D.C. is the more important and well-known city...it would be that way with almost any city sitting beside it because it's the capital of the U.S. It really doesn't matter that Baltimore's population is larger - if it was MUCH larger, like 2 million or more, then it might be a different story. But as long as D.C. is the capital it will be listed and thought of before Baltimore.
But it will not be listed before Baltimore because it is not. Moderator cut: off-topic

DC is more important? Of course it is. Bigger than Baltimore? Don't think so. Shy 100,000 people, which is a lot in my book.

edit: BTW look at the thread title and then tell me which would come first. This is ALL about population

Last edited by Bo; 02-20-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
But it will not be listed before Baltimore because it is not. only by people ignorant enough to. Sorry, you can't win everything

DC is more important? Of course it is. Bigger than Baltimore? Don't think so. Shy 100,000 people, which is a lot in my book.

edit: BTW look at the thread title and then tell me which would come first. This is ALL about population

The Census Bureau lists Washington first...although it sounds more natural to SAY Baltimore-Washington (like the parkway or the airport): Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA

Larger is not necessarily about size...it's also about stature, status, prestige, etc. Washington clearly has it over Baltimore. Why does this bother you so much? I like Baltimore as a city MUCH better than D.C. I used to visit good friends in the area there regularly, and we always spent more time in Baltimore. But it's not the capital of the U.S. or even of Maryland, so its status will never be equal to that of D.C.

I never said that the population of D.C. is larger than that of Baltimore - I said the exact oppposite. From my earlier post:
Quote:
It really doesn't matter that Baltimore's population is larger - if it was MUCH larger, like 2 million or more, then it might be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Census Bureau lists Washington first...although it sounds more natural to SAY Baltimore-Washington (like the parkway or the airport): Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA

Larger is not necessarily about size...it's also about stature, status, prestige, etc. Washington clearly has it over Baltimore. Why does this bother you so much? I like Baltimore as a city MUCH better than D.C. I used to visit good friends in the area there regularly, and we always spent more time in Baltimore. But it's not the capital of the U.S. or even of Maryland, so its status will never be equal to that of D.C.

I never said that the population of D.C. is larger than that of Baltimore - I said the exact oppposite. From my earlier post:

I don't think it is about status at all. Obviously it has a much higher status than Baltimore. it bothers me (and it obviously bothers you that I feel this way so you should ask yourself that question too) because it only makes sense. And when ignorant people say DC first in this kind of thread, it bothers me because they assume because DC gets so much attention and is more important, that Baltimore is Smaller. I simply corrected the person (and i corrected them in a correctly), and then people were all over me for correcting them

Edit: oh yea i forgot, This thread is about smaller Siblings, not more important. Baltimore-DC is correct, end of discussion right there

Last edited by Billiam; 02-20-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I don't think it is about status at all. Obviously it has a much higher status than Baltimore. it bothers me (and it obviously bothers you that I feel this way so you should ask yourself that question too) because it only makes sense. And when ignorant people say DC first in this kind of thread, it bothers me because they assume because DC gets so much attention and is more important, that Baltimore is Smaller. I simply corrected the person (and i corrected them in a correctly), and then people were all over me for correcting them

Edit: oh yea i forgot, This thread is about smaller Siblings, not more important. Baltimore-DC is correct, end of discussion right there
You're wrong, it doesn't bother me at all...and no one else seems to feel the way you do, not even most people from Baltimore. It's acceptable for most of us to think that Washington D.C. is a more important city than the one we live in. BALTIMORE ISN'T SMALLER IN POPULATION. No one is trying to say that - you're arguing with...no one.

Baltimore is smaller in stature...end of discussion. Now quit hijacking the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
Okay...yea

And no one feels that Baltimore is bigger than DC?

You need to look at my posts better. Ive said that DC is more important.

Im arguing with you. Not myself. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out

It seems you are bothered by my point of view as you keep coming back to argue with me

Let's put things into perspective. If there is a child (baltimore) and than a child who is the younger brother (DC), but DC becomes more successful and known, are you going to call DC the Big Brother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Wow some people are not the brightest tool in the shed. Ya know, the elevator doesn't exactly reach the top floor. The Reason it is Bos-Wash and not Bos-Bal is because the highest city in the whole string is Boston and the lowest city in the string is DC. Is it really that hard to understand?
You deserve no stars for not fully even understanding the term Bal-wash and why it's called that

And im a woman anyway. Lets get a ban soon though for you!
'

For the sake of the thread, I'm just gonna end this by LOL! I think Deacon just said everything I needed to say--I highly agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Status: "AndMunch" (set 10 days ago)
 
3,185 posts, read 5,189,036 times
Reputation: 989
The Census Department is HQ'd in Maryland!!!

I can understand why they would say Washington-Baltimore!!! But in Urban Population D.C. is at 3,933,920, while B-more is at 2,076,354 and there urban land area is about the same D.C. is bigger by 300 sq mi!!! So D.C.'s population is a misleading by a lot!!! The day time population in D.C. increase's to about 1,000,000 while I believe Baltimore loses people!!! It's my natural tongue to say Baltimore-Washington but they say that for important purposes (NOT FOR SIZE, but because D.C. is more important, it's the "NATIONAL" Capitol, and it's also for security purposes, believe me my aunt tells me a lot and it's a lot of codes for why it's like that)!!! D.C. isn't a sibling to Baltimore nor is Baltimore a sibling to D.C. we leave those job's to Arlington, and Baltimore County (Towson specifically). lol

I believe that if D.C. ever surpasses B-more in population then we (B-more) will have trouble with D.C. b/c D.C. already thinks that its the bomb, but if it's bigger than B-more too!!! (DEVELOPMENT WAR) As a matter of fact D.C. is in a development war with MD right now!!! (It's expanding it's convention center because of Gaylord National Hotel and Convention Center: D.C. is building a 1500 room hotel, while Gaylord has a 2000 room hotel, D.C. is mad because we are planning to take a lot of the events away from them because of National Harbor, D.C. is mad because we keep taking there sport's teams (We just took there soccer team from them, and there stadium was already planned for D.C. LOL), D.C. would whether fund V.A.'s transit project's than ours (Tyson Corner is getting mass transit, while MD is trying to build a Purple line, and they are procrastinating for the new line, and it's way more to metition) LOL AND I SMILE RIGHT IN D.C's face!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,145,525 times
Reputation: 2090
If Denver and Tucson had a baby it would be Albuqueruqe, I think Albuquerque could be more compared to those 2 cities when mixing them rather than just one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,036,042 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
'

For the sake of the thread, I'm just gonna end this by LOL! I think Deacon just said everything I needed to say--I highly agree.
you are right, LOL. I highly disagree though

But blaming me for the hijaking is uncalled for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top