U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,182,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasboy123 View Post
I am the guy in the video lol I think that here in Houston we do not have accents. Thank you for agreeing with me. But I really think that older people here have accents but the youth do not. I would be considered part of the youth. lol. But I have noticed when I go to other states, my accent changes. When I went to California my accent became like theirs in a way. The only thing that I say that is diffrent is that I say Y'all. lol
WTF? NO WAY!? You can't be the guy in the video, I just randomly typed in Texas accents in youtube and took the first video I could see... you're kidding me....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM

128 posts, read 229,308 times
Considering that a huge percentage of the population of Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio were not born in Texas, it doesn't make sense that there would be a prevalent "Texan accent" in any of these cities.

I definitely agree that Houston has an extremely neutral accent, but I disagree that Dallas has a Texan accent. I know plenty of people who grew up in Dallas and sound extremely neutral.

In fact, even here in Austin the two people I know with the most noticeable accents are from Connecticut and Chicago.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:57 PM

128 posts, read 229,308 times
By the way, when I was in London over the summer I told someone I was from Houston and she said "Oh, you don't sound like you're from Houston." I was totally thinking "and what are Houstonians supposed to sound like?"

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,344,538 times
Houston does INDEED have a texan/southern accent, but like i stated in another thread, you won't hear it in the more suburban areas where there are a lot of transplants. it's the same way in every major metro

but if you hang around the more working class or rural areas of greater houston, you will hear an accent

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,333,552 times
Pittsburgh.

Just kidding.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:44 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,137,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
A very, very small percentage of descendants from Polish immigrants have this accent. It's so rare as to be impossible to find these days.

I hate to break it to you, but as someone born and raised in Chicago I do none of the above. Nor does anyone I grew up with, went to school with, or associated with in my years in the city. Anyone in this nation who has had even a cursory education in English should have been taught the proper ways to pronounce.

I've seriously never encountered these accents. It's this Northern Cities Vowel Shift bull**** all over again. I'm not sure if you're pulling it from somewhere to insult Chicagoans or simply to prove that midwesterners have accents, but this bizarre obsession with attributing frontal vowel warpings to the midwest is completely unfounded.

Never. Ever. Heard. Anyone. Pronounce. Bag. As. "Bayg". Ever.

Last but not least, there is no way in hell Houston has a "moderate" accent. I'll accept regional variations, because "neutral" as an adjective describes a span of outliers averaged together, but Houston has a very clear and marked accent. I'm not sure if or how it would differ from other areas of Texas, but it's decidedly southern.
Everybody, and I mean every native I have ever met in Chicago did exactly those things. "Wiscaaaansin" "Chicaaaago". You just don't notice it because your accustomed to it. He wasn't trying to insult, he was just pointing out the obvious.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
The blacks in Dallas and Houston still sound very southern. The black southern accent in Austin isn't as strong as in Houston and Dallas though.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,090,418 times
SF, Denver, Seattle and LA i'd assume.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,788,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Everybody, and I mean every native I have ever met in Chicago did exactly those things. "Wiscaaaansin" "Chicaaaago". You just don't notice it because your accustomed to it. He wasn't trying to insult, he was just pointing out the obvious.
My Chicago relatives all sound like the SNL Superfans -- their accents are so damn thick! It's fun to hear though, and also contagious (to me at least)! But A LOT of people in the Upper Midwest drag the "A's" like that, so to me it's not that uncommon, and can be irritating!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:31 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,788,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
SF, Denver, Seattle and LA i'd assume.
THAT is a good list of cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or