U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,342,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
I've noticed that in Houston nobody has any accent whatsover - I guess because it's so "international" everything sort of blends together.

What other cities are like this? The only one I've seen is Seattle, and to some degree California cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eMqdRdrw-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IzmPftL7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuaRI5mYZLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrVbIAH0P8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 07:13 AM

20,976 posts, read 15,296,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Believe it or not I think many of the Florida cities have neutral accents. You'd be hard pressed to hear a Southern accent in places like Orlando, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale, even Miami.
Yep, FL has very neutral accents. The panhandle and parts of north FL are Southern, but below I-4, it's really anywhere America.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Miami is anywhere America as in Latin America

Old 09-11-2017, 12:11 PM

430 posts, read 241,261 times
Central, Northern and Hampton Roads Virginia? Maryland outside of Baltimore and Appalachian areas?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM

343 posts, read 718,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Central, Northern and Hampton Roads Virginia? Maryland outside of Baltimore and Appalachian areas?
I would agree with Northern VA and maybe parts of Hampton Roads like Virginia Beach, VA, but not Hampton Roads as a whole region.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM

430 posts, read 241,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I would agree with Northern VA and maybe parts of Hampton Roads like Virginia Beach, VA, but not Hampton Roads as a whole region.
I would agree on parts of Hampton Roads. There are plenty of accents in Poquoson and other parts of the Peninsula. What about central VA? During my time in Richmond I have found that there aren't really a lot of people with accents here and most of the people with accents are actually from further south. I do here a subtle antebellum type of accent in the older Richmonders. They pronounce house and about differently but not quite like the Canadian pronunciation. Once you get out of the surrounding counties the accents definitely become more noticeable.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
I would agree on parts of Hampton Roads. There are plenty of accents in Poquoson and other parts of the Peninsula. What about central VA? During my time in Richmond I have found that there aren't really a lot of people with accents here and most of the people with accents are actually from further south. I do here a subtle antebellum type of accent in the older Richmonders. They pronounce house and about differently but not quite like the Canadian pronunciation. Once you get out of the surrounding counties the accents definitely become more noticeable.
That's just a West Country English pronunciation. Apparently a lot of them settled in Virginia.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 AM

998 posts, read 799,505 times
VA Beach/Hampton Roads metro

Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Seems the coasts are quite accent neutral anymore (as they say in Cincinnati). Used to be that they were super pronounced and the inland areas had the very non distinct accents

Meantime in the flyover country it seems accents are shifting. Southern accents get Northern and Northern accents are beginning to sound Southern as I feel they are getting more distinct but again in opposite direction of themselves and each other. Northerners are taking on Southern phrases easily but also their vowels seem longer. Southerners are clipping their vowels. They are also adopting Northern sentence structures. The Coasts all seem to be doing the opposite. As in both the East and West Coasts are becoming less distinct almost identical versions of each other. You used to be able to tell New Yorkers from Californians. Not so anymore.

Seems:
NYC/Boston accent - Westward shift - California accents - Stabilization of both coasts
Philly accent - Westward shift - Lower Midwest accent - Southern accent
Southern accent: Northwards shift - Upper Midwest accent contact - Southward shift - No accent stabilization but instead inversion
Northern accent: see above but vice versa

Bow the interior of the country will have distinct accents but the other way around. Northerners of the future might sound Southern and Southerners of the future might sound Northern. This is already seen when migration patterns of Southern Blacks start to influence speech of Northern non Blacks. Some white kids in Chicago don't sound very Northern.

Same with Northerners of any race relocating down South. Southerners around them begin to think the Northern accent sounds cool so they imitate it. I have seen this in Louisville where tons of Michigan and New Jersey people live on the East End and the young adults think we sound cool and hip so they take our way of speaking.

I remember so many times Kentuckians modified their hick ass speech around me to sound less country. Then my Chicago counterparts did the opposite and spoke fake country. It was comical but it happens so much there! You see young hipsters there trying to talk Northern and you're just like WHY because their parents sound soooooo Southern.

In Louisville people actually will FAKE a neutral accent. You know it's fake because when you see them around family it's all "hee haw wut oop Hoss!" kinda deal. That and many of these millennials will openly admit to faking a neutral accent the more you get to know them. They will talk country if they're very drunk though. Some of them you have to give props to though because they sound like Indianapolis natives. Which is weird when you meet their parents. No Louisville native above 35 sounds Midwestern. That isn't an exaggerated figure. All Louisville natives from Gen X and on has a Southern accent. In those below 35 it is like 50/25/25. 50% are on the Southern side of things, 25% on the Lower Midwest, and 25% on the Midland. Midland speakers of Louisville are then like less than 15% of tie population. South Midland is more common but the dominant dialect is still Upland South.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Whenever I hear people say "We don't have an accent where I'm from.", my first thought is "So you live in a city full of mutes? How interesting!"

Everyone who can speak has an accent. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or