U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco or Seattle?
San Francisco 45 54.88%
Seattle 37 45.12%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM

1,694 posts, read 4,953,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
OK - A one hour flight to Vegas, LA or San Diego....none of those options even come close to a trip up to Vancouver. San Diego might be the only of those 3 cities that I would try to compare with SF, Seattle and Vancouver. Certainly not LA or Vegas.
Vancouver is one of my favorite cities without a doubt(I like it much more than Vegas and it's definitely in my top 5 or top 10 favorite in the world) but as far as the "fun factor" (Nightlife and such) I would rather spend the weekend in Vegas or LA but if I feel like a weekend just taking in another city or doing outdoors stuff than Vancouver can't be beat..overall I think California has a lot more to do than Vancouver or Washington that is another major reason SF is more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,771,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
OK - A one hour flight to Vegas, LA or San Diego....none of those options even come close to a trip up to Vancouver. San Diego might be the only of those 3 cities that I would try to compare with SF, Seattle and Vancouver. Certainly not LA or Vegas.
lol LA doesn't come close to effing Vancouver... are you kidding? Vancouver metro is a lil bit over 2 mil. la is bout 18 mil... come on.
There is really not much Vancouver offers that SF can't imo...
If I was making a trip that far for "those kind of things Vancouver *might* offer" I'd much rather keep going to Southern Alaska.

Also isn't there going to be a high speed rail from SF to SD soon?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 AM

594 posts, read 1,493,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
Having lived in both Seattle and SF for at least 5 years each (I currently live in Ballard, have also lived in Capitol Hill, U-District, Central-District, Belltown, and Greenlake!)...

I can say that Seattle is WAY behind San Francisco in terms of infrastructure, transit, cosmopolitanism (is this a word?) and density. Not even close.

The new light rail in Seattle (which is a great start, by the way), wont even put a dent against the BART (one of the largest heavy rail subways in the country), the Muni (an SF-only subway/light rail with 5 lines), CalTrain (connecting to Penninsula, etc.). I dont see how Seattle could ever catch up, frankly.

And, yes, while Seattle is having a lot of condos put up recently (particulalry downtown and in Ballard), condos do not a city vibe make. And outside of downtown it doesnt really have much of a city-vibe. Even Capitol Hill (a neighborhood that borders downtown) cant compare to much further out SF neighborhoods like Lower Haight or the Mission. SF has lots of very dense, urban, VIBRANT neighborhoods. Seattle certainly has its share of some funky, unique, and interesting neighborhoods, but they feel more like cool small-town downtowns (e.g. Fremont, Ballard, Ravenna, even Queen Anne). San Francisco has real CITY neighborhoods.

Also, as someone said SF is an international, cosmopolitan city surrounded by an enormous metropolis. Seattle not so much...And while Seattle has some great restaurants, the food is also not up the "world city" standard that SF is.

In general, SF feels way more alive and vibrant with people out all the time, everywhere, while Seattle is more of a sleepy town with a decent downtown and some cool neighborhood centers.

After all this, I will say I prefer Seattle to live in (hence, why Ive stayed) because it is way more convenient. Costs, parking, laid-back vibe, more space, less crack-heads outside your door, etc...

Although I do miss SF's vibrancy and diversity.
You're kind of under-selling Seattle here.

Ive also lived in both and I agree completely with what you say about density, infrastructure, transit, amenities...BUT

Seattle's urban form is taking shape and there certainly are urban sections outside of downtown. It is above average for a U.S. city in those regards.

If a light-rail connection is finally made to Belltown, Queen Anne, West Seattle, Fremont, Ballard, etc. and the Denny Triangle and South Lake Union areas actually develop into vibrant urban neighborhoods (as they are in the process of doing), Seattle will have a much stronger urban fabric than it does now.

No, nowhere near the level of SF, but better than you're making it out...

Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM

20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
I'd rather live in Oakland, but I guess SF will do. Seattle is great though, and I'd definitely considering living there (actually I said "here" as of this moment"). Seattle has several urbane neighborhoods (though there seems to be a lot of empty storefronts right now), great people, and an expanding mass transit system so it looks like good fun. It also has good proximity to other fun cities whereas the Bay Area is a bit more isolated.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

374 posts, read 967,207 times
Its a tie

Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd rather live in Oakland, but I guess SF will do. Seattle is great though, and I'd definitely considering living there (actually I said "here" as of this moment"). Seattle has several urbane neighborhoods (though there seems to be a lot of empty storefronts right now), great people, and an expanding mass transit system so it looks like good fun. It also has good proximity to other fun cities whereas the Bay Area is a bit more isolated.
The bay area is without a doubt not more isolated than Seattle.

The Bay itself has many fun cities within its Metro and is close to Monterey, Lake Tahoe/Reno, Napa Valley, not to mention LA only 5 hours away (and with the upcoming high speed rail, 2.5 hours away).

Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,624,207 times
Seattle is much more clean and safe

Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Seattle is much more clean and safe
I would agree with that...although the trade-off is less vibrancy and urbanity

Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,624,207 times
and bum feces

Quote:
I would agree with that...although the trade-off is less vibrancy and urbanity

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,563,108 times
I've been living in Seattle for a few years now and though I love living here it just doesn't stack up to San Francisco imo. I love San Francisco and its dense, cosmopolitan feel. Its downtown, nightlife, architecture, culture, transportation, restaurant scene is superb. Seattle is a great city, and its more than I ever expected. I love living here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City