U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco or Seattle?
San Francisco 45 54.88%
Seattle 37 45.12%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,923,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Uwash isn't exactly in the same league as UC Berkeley, and don't even talk about SFSU.
UW is among the upper echelon of public universities in the world, so to say it's not in the same league as UC Berkeley is not entirely correct. No doubt Berkeley is considered a more elite univeristy, but they are not worlds apart. UW has the best best primary care medical school in the country, for example. All in all, the Pac-10 is a very strong academically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 PM

20,170 posts, read 21,767,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Im saying its disingenuous to try and act like the two are on a similar timeline/course. No doubt CA HSR still has many hurdles to cross but it is well on its way.

As I mentioned earlier, there are currently no plans for a high speed rail line in the PNW outside of an identified corridor and "long term goals". Even with the $590 million, it is unclear that the speed will even reach 110 mph any time soon. And clearly we have a difference of opinion in terms of what constitutes HSR. I think 110 mph cannot be considered HSR no matter what the context. It is literally half the top speed that the CA HSR (220 mph) will be able to reach...

Any way you slice it, there is no comparison between the two corridors. To try and blur the lines and just say "well, theyre both a long ways away" is disingenuous and just not accurate at all.
How is it disingenuous when I've stated the specifics of how they are different as well as repeatedly stated that the main point is they are both not here now and won't be for quite a while? Why are you banking on something a decade from now when I am specifically talking about the present? You're running this thread into the ground by arguing a point that no one's trying to make.

As of the present and the near future, daytrips/weekend trips from Seattle to Vancouver and Portland by car or rail are fine and doable. Daytrips/weekend trips by car or rail from SF to LA are grueling. Going back and forth to visit friends in the Bay Area while I was living in LA gives me a pretty good idea of just how grueling it is.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM

20,170 posts, read 21,767,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Ok, I get what you are saying here. I definitely think "isolated" is the wrong word choice, but I understand your argument now.

I tend to disagree, though, because (if we are talking about cities proper), SF has a fun, sizable city 10 minutes away in Oakland/Berkeley (combined population over 600,000) that offers a different cultural experience very nearby. In addition, San Jose and its surrounding cities in the South Bay also have several fun "downtown-ish" cultural/nightlife areas (downtown Palo Alto, downtown Mountain View, downtown San Jose, etc.) that are a very different experience than SF, only 45 minutes to an hour away.

Tacoma, Bellevue, or Everett don't compare IMO.

So I guess what I'm saying is the Bay Area itself offers a much more diverse and dynamic range of urban and cultural experiences than the Puget Sound, hence why I felt like there were more fun urban options when I lived in SF than I do now living in Seattle.

Also, although there aren't any sizable (200,000+) cities there, the nearby Monterey-Salinas MSA has around 500,000 people and several great, fun beach cities like Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Capitola.
Yea, I liked the difference between Oakland/Berkeley and SF. San Jose and such weren't that exciting to me though (and places like Cupertino were just plain boring). I'm already in agreement with you that the Bay Area offers more within its metro.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM

9 posts, read 23,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
In other words, the scale, scope, and beauty of SFs architecture far surpasses Seattle's.
I've already replied to this post, but I wanted to address this specific point. I think it's a matter of opinion as to which city's architecture is more beautiful. I kind of retract my agreement that San Francisco's architecture is superior. It all comes down to personal taste, and I really feel Seattle has a clean, fresh and modern look/aura to it. Again, each of these two cities has its strengths.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:03 PM

594 posts, read 1,493,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is it disingenuous when I've stated the specifics of how they are different as well as repeatedly stated that the main point is they are both not here now and won't be for quite a while? Why are you banking on something a decade from now when I am specifically talking about the present? You're running this thread into the ground by arguing a point that no one's trying to make.

As of the present and the near future, daytrips/weekend trips from Seattle to Vancouver and Portland by car or rail are fine and doable. Daytrips/weekend trips by car or rail from SF to LA are grueling. Going back and forth to visit friends in the Bay Area while I was living in LA gives me a pretty good idea of just how grueling it is.
My original point was that within a decade HSR would offer a fast, easy connection between Northern and Southern California. You countered by saying that the PNW also had HSR in the works and implying that it was essentially a wash.

The truth is California has a real HSR plan that has been worked on for nearly 15 years, studied extensively, voted on, and is slated to begin construction within a couple of years. The PNW has a vague "long-term goal" of higher speeds and more frequent service. Hence, it was disingenuous of you to imply there were any similarities between the development of these corridors, and not to acknowledge that California will almost certainly have HSR long before the PNW.

Anyways, I agree it's time to move on! Feel free to make a counter point, and Ill let it be...

Last edited by AcroJimmy2; 05-07-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM

221 posts, read 693,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
I've already replied to this post, but I wanted to address this specific point. I think it's a matter of opinion as to which city's architecture is more beautiful. I kind of retract my agreement that San Francisco's architecture is superior. It all comes down to personal taste, and I really feel Seattle has a clean, fresh and modern look/aura to it. Again, each of these two cities has its strengths.
Beauty is definitely a subjective thing, so I can't argue with you here!

For the record, I love Seattle's modern, "clean" architecture downtown as well (although not as much as downtown SF's mix of historical, modern, and victorian ), but it's in the inner neighborhoods where I think SF's architecture really surpasses Seattle. Again, it's all subjective! Seattle has lots of great architecture as well...

By the way, here's a good example of some of San Francisco's more modern architecture:

Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Beauty is definitely a subjective thing, so I can't argue with you here!

For the record, I love Seattle's modern, "clean" architecture downtown as well (although not as much as downtown SF's mix of historical, modern, and victorian ), but it's in the inner neighborhoods where I think SF's architecture really surpasses Seattle. Again, it's all subjective! Seattle has lots of great architecture as well...

By the way, here's a good example of some of San Francisco's more modern architecture:
Truth be told, I thought that was a picture of Seattle before I read your post! Good stuff.

I take it you've seen San Francisco's architecture up close, and perhaps if I had I'd prefer it as well. I definitely get what you're saying about the wide array of styles, and I absolutely adore Victorian homes/buildings.

This has nothing to do with architecture, but have you lived in either city? Feel free to post here or PM me any insight you may have. I'm likely going to be purchasing a plane ticket within a day.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM

221 posts, read 693,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel1 View Post
Truth be told, I thought that was a picture of Seattle before I read your post! Good stuff.

I take it you've seen San Francisco's architecture up close, and perhaps if I had I'd prefer it as well. I definitely get what you're saying about the wide array of styles, and I absolutely adore Victorian homes/buildings.

This has nothing to do with architecture, but have you lived in either city? Feel free to post here or PM me any insight you may have. I'm likely going to be purchasing a plane ticket within a day.
Ive lived in both (along with many other cities)...PM me if you have any questions and Ill be glad to answer them!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Ive lived in both (along with many other cities)...PM me if you have any questions and Ill be glad to answer them!
Will do, thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM

153 posts, read 331,531 times
Quote:
The University of Washington, from what I've read, is a top-notch university. I'd greatly appreciate if you'd elaborate on why you believe UC Berkeley is vastly superior.
Depends on your definition of “top-notch”. Let’s compare undergraduate admissions. I for one don’t really consider a university with an +60% acceptance rate as such (UWash’s Fall 2008 class). Berkeley’s is ~20%, and even lower for the highly competitive majors (i.e. engineering/business/etc. schools).

Quote:
I'd agree that the majority regard UC Berkeley as superior to the University of Washington. However, he/she stated the schools were not in the same league, to which I'm not sure is the case. From what I understand, they're two of the best public universities in the nation. I think it depends on what field you're in as well. I doubt UC Berkeley is considered superior/more prestigious in every major, but I could be wrong and am definitely looking for any additional input on this topic.
Quote:
UW has the best best primary care medical s
chool in the country, for example.
Berkeley is currently ranked the as best public university in the nation – Uwash isn’t in the top ten (it’s 11th, behind even UCSD and tied with UC Davis/UC Santa Barbara, significantly lesser universities than Berkeley). And yes, Berkeley is virtually superior in every field. You mentioned that UW has the best primary care medical (grad) school in the country, correct, but Berkeley DOESN’T even have a med school (it has close ties with UCSF, which is arguably one of the top medical/research grad schools in the country). That being said, you obviously failed to look at EVERY OTHER major/field.

Biological Sciences: Berkeley-…..Washington-15th

Chemistry: Berkeley-1st (tied/w Caltech, MIT)…..Washington-26th

Math: Berkeley-2nd…..Washington-27th

Physics: Berkeley-5th…..Washinton-19th

Computer Science: Berkeley-1st (tied w/CMU, MIT, Stanford)…..Washington-7th

You can look up the Engineering rankings if you want by yourself, but since they only show the top 10 schools in each discipline (Berkeley is in the top 3 for virtually every single major), Washington isn’t even on any them.

English: Berkeley-1st…..Washington-29th

History: Berkeley-1st (tied w/Princeton, Stanford, Yale)…..Washington-26th

Economics: Berkeley-6th…..Washington-34th

Psychology: Berkeley-1st (tied w/Stanford and Harvard)…..Washington-13th

Sociology: Berkeley-1st…..Washington-17th

Business School: Berkeley Haas School of Business-7th (part of the T14 law
schools)…..Washington Foster Schools of Business-33rd

Law School: Berkeley-7th…..Washington-34th

That’s obviously not all the fields, but certainly all the most important/critical ones. You can verify them for yourself, as well as the other fields of study online. I did not call UWashington a bad school by any means, in fact, it is a good school. But what I did say, it is definitely not in the same league as Berkeley, as a whole, comprehensive university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City