Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What's this waving thing about and why is it so important to some people? You mean waving at other drivers?
For me it's such a natural thing that I can't even imagine no one not knowing it...EXCEPT for the fact that for the past 18 years I have lived where it is not such a natural thing.

Growing up in small towns and rural areas it is quite common to wave at someone sittin on their front porch, someone you meet on a country road when their isn't much other traffic on the road, someone going for a bike ride, other boaters on a lake or out fishing, and on and on. And yes, we waved at TOTAL STRANGERS.....

I still see this this when I return to small towns and rural areas in the midwest and the south--but not like I used to. Different times and different rules--esp. when it concerns kids.

I don't know that it's "so important"; it was just something that we did without thinking about it--being friendly and neighborly without any expectations of anything in return.

Usually you got a smile and a wave back. Sometimes you even knew that you TOTALLY made that person's day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What's this waving thing about and why is it so important to some people? You mean waving at other drivers?
AND...yes, we would wave at other drivers....with the whole hand--all 5 fingers--not just the one finger that some prefer to use today

When another driver is upset or mad at you...try smiling and waving at them instead of being enraged right back at them.....IT TOTALLY DISARMS THEM...THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE THEY ARE SO SHOCKED BY YOUR KINDNESS....

Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The friendlest cities would be in the south and mid - west

1.Wichita Kan
2.Jackson Miss
3. Mobile Ala
4. Tulsa Okla
5. Oklahoma City Okla
6.Albuquerque N.M.
7.Minneapolis
8.Tucson
9.Omaha
10.Des Moines
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I totally love your list!!! Not all of those places would be for me, but a few are ones that I have wondered about and will have to work them into my upcoming trip to TX, AZ, NM.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default Thank You itsajopurney....A TX,AZ.NM..Road Trip Hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I totally love your list!!! Not all of those places would be for me, but a few are ones that I have wondered about and will have to work them into my upcoming trip to TX, AZ, NM.
Tucson......(AU) make sure you check it out
Phoenix......(ASU) check it out
Albuquerque...Please Check Out SANTA FE NM and University NM in Albuquerque
Austin TX...El Paso TX...San Antonio TX
Have a great road trip itsajourney......

Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
NEW YORKERS ARE THE WORLDS FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE!!!! lol

Just playing the friendliest city I've been too is probably Greenville, SC!!! At least that I can remember...

Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
NEW YORKERS ARE THE WORLDS FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE!!!! lol

Just playing the friendliest city I've been too is probably Greenville, SC!!! At least that I can remember...
Actually, the cities Upstate are and I think the NYC rep is more hype.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
I'd have to say Salt Lake City. I've found that most Southern cities are generally on the more friendly side too.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the cities Upstate are and I think the NYC rep is more hype.

Actually, a lot of people will say that NYers are some of the nicest people they've met.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,879 times
I have found the friendliest cities to be on the west coast. Southern California, specifically. The farthest I've been in the Midwest was Cleveland, Ohio.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Tucson......(AU) make sure you check it out
Phoenix......(ASU) check it out
Albuquerque...Please Check Out SANTA FE NM and University NM in Albuquerque
Austin TX...El Paso TX...San Antonio TX
Have a great road trip itsajourney......
Thank you...I am finalizing my plans now. I'm hoping to leave Orlando between 2-25 & 2-28. I had actually hoped to make the trip during all of February so I could get more of a feel for what winter is like in Texas.

Winter, as in northern winters, is the one thing that I would never go back to. Saying never is risky business, but it's pretty much true for me. That's why I am having such a hard time--wondering if I could even do Georgia or North Carolina winters. Texas and the southwest are kind of like my "last unexplored" territories as far as places I could choose from.

I finished college years ago, raised 4 kids and after 28 yrs of marriage, I'm about to be striking out on my own. Finished school a year ago for esthetician and electrologist--so am looking places where I can easily transfer/obtain my license and open a practice.

I'm pretty outgoing and friendly--so I usually find that wherever I go, but some places are just more naturally friendly. I believe I will be spending at least a month in Texas--as it probably seems more likely to be a choice over AZ & NM--just because of the "feeling of isolation" that I might have to get used to...

Thanks for your thoughts and yes, I am hoping for a great road trip--I don't leave room for anything else though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City