Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 AM

10 posts, read 47,805 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm now even more confused by the "are you serious?!?" (I am) comments.

I'm not trying to stir up any silly online trollbait, I'm actually very serious in my questioning. Do people consider Chicago *that* much better (or worse...I'm sorry, my sarcasm meter isn't working too well these days) than Dallas?

I'm really wanting honest answers on what people think; I've never been to Chicago, so I don't have any point of reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdallastochicago View Post
You are correct about the culture. There is so much everywhere!! And any kind you want... Aside from Mexican. The Mexican food in Chicago really kind of sucks. I have heard there are some areas that have good Mexican, but they aren't really on the safe side of town. If you are big into Mexican, you may be disappointed.
I live right off of Congress, a major road in Chicago.
No Mexican culture in Chicago? Chicago has over twice as many Mexicans as Dallas does. Mexican food here sucks? This is reputed to be one of the best Mexican-food cities in the country. I think the problem you're having is where you live, highlighted above. Virtually zero Mexicans actually live downtown and the so-called Mexican restaurants near where you live are geared toward suburban office commuters. Do yourself a favor, hop on the Pink Line, take it to Ashland or Damen, get off and meander around. You'll find all the Mexican culture (including the nationally acclaimed National Museum of Mexican Art which is about 3 blocks from either stop) and all the good Mexican food you could ever want.

Last edited by Drover; 01-09-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablote View Post
Ok, I'm now even more confused by the "are you serious?!?" (I am) comments.

I'm not trying to stir up any silly online trollbait, I'm actually very serious in my questioning. Do people consider Chicago *that* much better (or worse...I'm sorry, my sarcasm meter isn't working too well these days) than Dallas?

I'm really wanting honest answers on what people think; I've never been to Chicago, so I don't have any point of reference.
I think it's safe to say that Chicago will come far closer to offering you the urban experience you're looking for than Dallas will. Chicago is no New York, but in terms of its density, walkability and urban vibe, it's a lot closer to New York than it is to Dallas.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM

131 posts, read 356,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No Mexican culture in Chicago? Chicago has over twice as many Mexicans as Dallas does. Mexican food here sucks? This is reputed to be one of the best Mexican-food cities in the country. I think the problem you're having is where you live, highlighted above. Virtually zero Mexicans actually live downtown and the so-called Mexican restaurants near where you live are geared toward suburban office commuters. Do yourself a favor, hop on the Pink Line, take it to Ashland or Damen, get off and meander around. You'll find all the Mexican culture (including the nationally acclaimed National Museum of Mexican Art which is about 3 blocks from either stop) and all the good Mexican food you could ever want.
Agree with your entire post, but the stop is 18th not Ashland.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
In my experience, Dallas and Chicago could hardly be more different, as far as major US cities go.
Dallas is sprawling and haphazardly planned. Chicago is more compact and aligned to a grid.
Downtown Dallas is near-deserted after dark (on weekdays, anyway). Chicago is, well, not a 24 hour town, but at least a 20 hour town, for the most part.
Dallas has public transit as an afterthought. Chicago has public transit you can actually use in a practical way.

Book a ticket. Come visit. That's the only way to get a feel for the place. Get out of the Loop. Come to the neighborhoods. Most people do not, with all due respect to fromdallastochicago, live amid office buildings downtown. It's a city of neighborhoods. Very much so.

And, to pile on, if you can't find good Mexican food here, you aren't looking very hard. Now good Chinese food outside of Chinatown and Little Saigon.... that's a whole other story.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
If you want frank comments, I'll be frank. I am a city lover, and I wouldn't even consider living in Dallas. I am not from Chicago, though I am from the region. After graduate school I CHOSE Chicago--which was on a short list including New York, Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle. But of course, I was already used to the weather, so that doesn't bother me much. Here is why I chose Chicago:

1. Architecture. I'm an architect, and great architecture is a must for me.

2. Career. As an architect, career opportunities were good here when I moved.

3. Family. 90% of my family is within 200 miles of Chicago.

4. Public transit. Chicago is one of the few cities in the U.S. where the public transit system is actually a viable alternative to owning a car. The only other large American cities that truly offer this (in my opinion) are New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and to a lesser extent San Francisco.

5. Walkability. As I mentioned above, the transit-oriented nature of many neighborhoods has produced some truly wonderful walkable neighborhoods, including shops, restaurants, and entertainment. There are dozens of walkable commercial strips.

6. History. I'm an urban history buff, and Chicago gave me a hobby in that respect.

7. Safety. In spite of what you hear about crime in Chicago, there is actually a very large contiguous area in this city that is quite safe. The safe part of Chicago is larger than most other big cities in America. Many lower tier cities have only a few safe neighborhoods to choose from, but Chicago has dozens.

8. Culture. The Art Institute and CSO are among the elite of the world. The Lyric Opera, MCA, Joffrey Ballet, and other institutions are part of a well-rounded cultural scene eclipsed only by New York City in the U.S. Our theater scene is bustling considering the lack of fame-producing T.V. and Film opportunities. And of course, Chicago is THE epicenter for improvised comedy for the entire world.

9. Dining Options. My wife and I enjoy dining out quite a bit, and my wife is a true foodie. Chicago has some of the best restaurant options in the country, and has a plethora of ethinic dining from every region in the world. If you venture out of the gentrfied neighborhoods on the north Lakefront, you can get to some great hole-in-the-wall joints that serve the cuisine from a very specific province in Mexico, China, or India. There is a community of foodies that photographs dishes and posts them online. It is very involved!

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-09-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
I've actually lived in the Dallas area twice over the last 20 years so I can see both positives and negatives for the area. I do love city living, having been an urban studies major in college, and having lived in Chicago twice now and once in NYC for 8 years. But the urban environment in Dallas has only started to grow within the last five years or so as folks there are starting to embrace downtown living. It's still a very long way from having a viable downtown like Chicago, if ever, let alone the walkability that many of the neighborhoods here have, but at least it's making an effort and the urban/city lovers that live there (surprisingly, there are many, thank goodness) are trying to make downtown living a viable option but it will take time.
The DFW area has always been known for affordability, especially in the inexpensive far-flung suburbs, which is why its metro gains about a million people every decade. There aren't too many places in the US where you can buy a 3000+ sq ft house for under 200K in a top school district, if that's your desire, and still be in one of the top ten population centers in the country. But it's similar to other cities like Atlanta, Houston and Phoenix that have developed mostly after WWII in that they are dependent on the automobile to get anything accomplished.
I've also never felt unsafe here in the city...as Lookout Kid said above, there are more areas here that are safe than in comparison to other cities. Driving through areas of west Dallas or Oak Cliff made me look over my shoulder plenty of times and I was in my car at the time!
All in all, if you desire an urban environment where you don't need a car (I sold both of mine when I moved here) and can walk to great shopping or restaurants or use terrific public transportation, then you'll love Chicago. I'm glad to be back and I don't plan on leaving for a long time.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

161 posts, read 411,653 times
All well said posts. Plus we didn't recruit TO. Or Pacman Jones. Or Romo. Just for that you should move...

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
Agree with your entire post, but the stop is 18th not Ashland.
Yeah, get off at 18th instead. You'll be waiting a long time if you're looking for an Ashland stop.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
All well said posts. Plus we didn't recruit TO. Or Pacman Jones. Or Romo. Just for that you should move...
And dont' forget Michael Irvin... For some reason the 'Boys just love idiot wide receivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City