Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs. Los Angeles
Miami 58 25.89%
Los Angeles 166 74.11%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

both. i wish i could be in mia or la right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 AM

19 posts, read 41,646 times
Voted LA.
Miami has too many rednecks.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I love that song. 2 Live and Die in LA, the place to BE. But I also like that Dunk Ryders joint, The Other Side.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
both. i wish i could be in mia or la right now.
Same with me.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
What you get in LA...

A killer skyline

Awesome surf

Culture

Scenic Beauty

City-scape

and much more
Awesome pics. You can only get SOME of that in Miami.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,947 times
In defense of LA, and in response to that typical uptight (not native) New Yorker.

As for LA being suburban. Wrong. LA is 'urban', not 'suburban'. It's really suburban only in its suburbs, and some residential streets between the main streets. A suburb doesn't have heavy traffic, bus lines or at worse, graffiti and rundown buildings or streets, and bars, strip joints, etc.

If you took all of LA's skylines, and not just the one downtown, it's really much bigger than what you 'see'. There's also century city, and much of wilshire blvd including korea town, as well as smaller ones in westwood and glendale, as well as long beach and more, like westchester or woodland hills.

Also, LA has several neighborhoods that are world renown. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Compton etc that alone are world renown. Not just like a single South Beach. It has Malibu, Santa Monica, East LA and more. Some of those are at least as famous as Manhattan or Brooklyn, if not more so. (what else does NYC have?).

Also, LA, like NYC, has spawned world renown rap artists, rock bands, movies, trends and styles. And yet it's not even as old as NYC, but it's poised to outgrow it totally. Also, LA has a comfortable climate, making it easy to live without some silly little park like central park. It has beaches and many parks, including griffith park, that go with the climate.

LA is also a bigger 'city' than NY. It just happens to be divided into several municipalities, but they're so co-joined as to be considered one city in practice. In practice LA has closer to 10 million inhabitants, rather than 4, while NYC has just above 8. Speaking of the continuous urban area without any geographically separated suburbs included. Much like NYC and the boroughs, except they're now municipalities. So, in this sense LA is bigger than both NYC and Miami combined.

But that was more towards the pompous, condescending NYC transplant, than against against Miami or (most) native New Yorkers or their city. Angelenos take a lot of **** from there though, and at some point it has to be dealt with.

Finally, with respect to diversity. Of course, there are a few dominant ethnic groups in LA. Any place will have that. It doesn't mean it's 'not' diverse. It still has apparently the biggest Korean community outside Seoul, and significant, not just 'some', populations of other countries. And what people think are all 'Mexicans' are actually Salvadorians and others.

Last edited by disneyman; 01-17-2010 at 02:13 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyman View Post
In defense of LA, and in response to that typical uptight (not native) New Yorker.

As for LA being suburban. Wrong. LA is 'urban', not 'suburban'. It's really suburban only in its suburbs, and some residential streets between the main streets. A suburb doesn't have heavy traffic, bus lines or at worse, graffiti and rundown buildings or streets, and bars, strip joints, etc.

If you took all of LA's skylines, and not just the one downtown, it's really much bigger than what you 'see'. There's also century city, and much of wilshire blvd including korea town, as well as smaller ones in westwood and glendale, as well as long beach and more, like westchester or woodland hills.

Also, LA has several neighborhoods that are world renown. Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Compton etc that alone are world renown. Not just like a single South Beach. It has Malibu, Santa Monica, East LA and more. Some of those are at least as famous as Manhattan or Brooklyn, if not more so. (what else does NYC have?).

Also, LA, like NYC, has spawned world renown rap artists, rock bands, movies, trends and styles. And yet it's not even as old as NYC, but it's poised to outgrow it totally. Also, LA has a comfortable climate, making it easy to live without some silly little park like central park. It has beaches and many parks, including griffith park, that go with the climate.

LA is also a bigger 'city' than NY. It just happens to be divided into several municipalities, but they're so co-joined as to be considered one city in practice. In practice LA has closer to 10 million inhabitants, rather than 4, while NYC has just above 8. Speaking of the continuous urban area without any geographically separated suburbs included. Much like NYC and the boroughs, except they're now municipalities. So, in this sense LA is bigger than both NYC and Miami combined.

But that was more towards the pompous, condescending NYC transplant, than against against Miami or (most) native New Yorkers or their city. Angelenos take a lot of **** from there though, and at some point it has to be dealt with.

Finally, with respect to diversity. Of course, there are a few dominant ethnic groups in LA. Any place will have that. It doesn't mean it's 'not' diverse. It still has apparently the biggest Korean community outside Seoul, and significant, not just 'some', populations of other countries. And what people think are all 'Mexicans' are actually Salvadorians and others.
Awesome (and necessary) post. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM

155 posts, read 196,908 times
Los Angeles easily.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Two beautiful cities,but I would not want to live in either as the traffic is horrendous as well as the pace of life. I would definitely take Miami's air quality over Los Angeles,but I love the Hollywood hills.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
I like Los Angeles more because although Miami is fun, I don't think it would be a good place to live, the wet, sticky, humid weather, also the lack of scenary, and since it is more dense, the crime is easier to bump into. Los Angeles has just about everything you can imagine, you also have a beautiful mountain, I like the laid back atmosphere, the scenary is great, the proximity to OC , SF, Las Vegas, SD, the weather is calmer, not humidity, I think there is something for everyone in Los Angeles. I think Miami has a lot to offer as well, in fact it is one of my favorite cities, but to me it's more of a place to stay 3-4 months out of the year, than come back home to Los Angeles, and relax. Both are great, it's hard to choose but for living purposing Los Angeles is better in my book, but Miami is fun too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City