U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities have a lot of yuppies?
Pittsburgh 5 3.27%
Denver 40 26.14%
St. Louis 2 1.31%
Dallas 36 23.53%
Nashville 4 2.61%
Columbus 7 4.58%
Philadelphia 11 7.19%
Houston 21 13.73%
Minneapolis 29 18.95%
Cincinnati 1 0.65%
Austin 34 22.22%
Raleigh/Durham 20 13.07%
Atlanta 32 20.92%
Chicago 61 39.87%
Indianapolis 5 3.27%
Kansas City 3 1.96%
Austin 31 20.26%
Charlotte 21 13.73%
Washington DC 61 39.87%
Cleveland 2 1.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran Babe View Post
Minneapolis and Austin come to mind when I think of yuppie cities. They have two of the largest universities in the country, so that definitely brings a lot of educated twentysomethings to the cities. Denver is pretty yuppie too.

The northside of Chicago is very yuppie, and so are parts of DC, but as a whole, they don't seem as yuppie as Minneapolis, Austin, and Denver.

good point... Chicagos sheer size makes the yuppie section only a pocket, whereas pretty much the entire cities of minneapolis, austin and denver are like that. The same can also be said for NYC and LA honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
When I think of "yuppie" I imagine young, single professionals or couples with no kids who are more concerned with climbing the corporate latter and making money than they are with having kids and starting families.

Cities that come to mind are New York, Seattle, and San Francisco. Of cities not on the coasts, I would say Denver and Minneapolis.
note not all city dwellers who are young/urban and professionals are quintessential yuppies either, , think hospital workers, social workers, artists, creative types, musicians, and well people in corporate america too... some of us just want to live in the city and not have kids...a good example is portland ya know? I would say it is pretty anticorporate, but, there are plenty of young people who work in the city that do not want families. So i guess the corporate slave, driving a new mercedes and acting like a douche would be the other part of that equation.

I think medium size college towns are the biggest yuppie havens as they don't have to interact with normal people...and can still drive their prius, volvo and get their starbucks and work at the university.

Last edited by grapico; 04-24-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,045,343 times
Naperville, IL?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM

832 posts, read 1,400,510 times
The DC metro area is easily the most consistently "yuppie" metro area in the nation. One of its main identifying factors is that it's largely settled by and caters to young urban professionals. Yuppies tend to be upper-middle class/well-educated and the DC metro area is definitely the most consistently upper-middle class and consistently well-educated metro area in the country. Other cities on the list that can claim to be consistently yuppie (as opposed to having yuppies being a large segment of the local society alongside other equally large groups) include Austin and Raleigh-Durham. However, neither of them is nearly as consistently yuppie as the DC metro area. In the metro area, only DC and parts of PG county aren't overwhelmingly yuppie; however, even these areas are more yuppie than your average US locality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or