Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fresh outta college, where would you suggest?
Atlanta 17 47.22%
Dallas 13 36.11%
LA 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM

139 posts, read 501,370 times

Advertisements

For the last 3 years I've wondered where my life would end up after college, and I have finally reached the day. I have a ton of questions, so here is the scenario.

I just recently graduated from college, and have just started applying for jobs. Within 3 days of my application being on the net, I have received an offer. I'm from small town Michigan, and the only way I would be able to take this offer is to move to either New York, Atlanta, Dallas or LA. Now two years ago I would have thought that I'd have taken this offer without hesitating, because it has always been my goal. But now I'm not so sure I want to leave everything I have established here.

So first question, to those of you who have done it before, is the move worth it?

Is it worth it to pack up all your bags and leave all your friends and family behind for a career? I would know nobody, or nothing of the area I arrive at.

My degree (Information Systems) I believe should be versatile enough to land me a job in just about any state, however this offer is a fairly good one, and it would relieve all the future stress of having to find one here.

That's the first issue.
The second issue:

Now IF, and this is a big IF, I decided to take a job, and move to one of these locations, what are the major pros and cons of each, and which would you suggest?

New York I can pretty much safely say I wouldn't consider, after all reason #1 of positives of moving is the weather, and that just isn't what I'm looking for. So between Atlanta, Dallas and LA which would I most prefer?

Things I would take into consideration in order of importance:

-Money (the offer is between 45-50k, how far will that go?)
-Weather
-Neighborhoods (I would be in and out of the airport, so it would have to be near)
-Sports atmosphere, watching and playing in rec leagues (basketball, softball, golf) (although all these seem pretty solid from that angle)

Anything else I should consider please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
the money will go the furtherst by far in DFW. But depending what you want will impact your choice.

One other thing, your degree would seem pretty portable and i assume you are young. With that said take the plunge, gain a new experience wherever that is and if after a yrear or two you will have work experience and could likely move wherever you want if you are so inclined, or you may fall in love with the area.

My only suggestion on any of these is to find a place with many other younger folks as this will likely give you greater to meet new people and enjoy the area.

I moved to DC after college and had a blast and met many new friends; many i still see often even though no longer in the area. It is scary but so is todays job market and all of these places offer a ton.

Best of luck in your decision and congrats on the job offer and graduation

Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Given your salary, I think Dallas and Atlanta are your best bets. Being that the economy is better in Dallas right now, that's probably the city I'd pick.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM

333 posts, read 639,108 times
That salary would not be much at all in LA or NY. Not sure about Atlanta but you would do decent in Dallas.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM

$45-50K would go about as far in Atlanta as in Dallas, but right now Dallas has more job opportunities and it's more of a hotbed for high tech companies.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM

113 posts, read 297,041 times
Dallas

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Dallas area with almost 7 million will be your best bet with high paying jobs.The city grow so fast the maps can't keep up the metroplex,for example Mckinney is about 50 miles north of downtown and the high rises and surburban feel starts there.The area is more like L.A. then Atlanta with some many loops and interstates it takes years to learn the whole area and from Ft.Worth to Dallas is 80 miles east and west,not far from 100 miles and north to south is various areas is 50 to 70 miles. The city has tons of colleges and has 3 cities over quater of a million, 6 cities over 100,000 and about 10 cities over 50,000 and atleast 20 over 25,ooo. The metro area consist of 6 counties and two airports which is DFW and Love field.The city has tremendous night life and clubs are all over the area.Dallas east dallas gives more of the southern feel and west Dallas and Funky town gives more a western feel.Downtown is very vibrant at night like Nyc so much to do everybody partying.Thats why I always wonder why people compare the area to Atlanta because to me Atl is more of a country feel and may have 5 million people but is mixed in the woods onces to downtown its like ok here is Atl but after that people say go to bankhead or peachtree common vicinitys that are full of forest.So another thing is if you don't like Atl then there is'nt any other major connect city Like in Dallas.Any one come on here debating about well Bankheads there or Peachtree,well show me why speak of these places quit saying well theycompare to areas of Dallas because thats a lie.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Given your salary, I think Dallas and Atlanta are your best bets. Being that the economy is better in Dallas right now, that's probably the city I'd pick.
There it is.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Dallas area with almost 7 million will be your best bet with high paying jobs.The city grow so fast the maps can't keep up the metroplex,for example Mckinney is about 50 miles north of downtown and the high rises and surburban feel starts there.The area is more like L.A. then Atlanta with some many loops and interstates it takes years to learn the whole area and from Ft.Worth to Dallas is 80 miles east and west,not far from 100 miles and north to south is various areas is 50 to 70 miles. The city has tons of colleges and has 3 cities over quater of a million, 6 cities over 100,000 and about 10 cities over 50,000 and atleast 20 over 25,ooo. The metro area consist of 6 counties and two airports which is DFW and Love field.The city has tremendous night life and clubs are all over the area.Dallas east dallas gives more of the southern feel and west Dallas and Funky town gives more a western feel.Downtown is very vibrant at night like Nyc so much to do everybody partying.Thats why I always wonder why people compare the area to Atlanta because to me Atl is more of a country feel and may have 5 million people but is mixed in the woods onces to downtown its like ok here is Atl but after that people say go to bankhead or peachtree common vicinitys that are full of forest.So another thing is if you don't like Atl then there is'nt any other major connect city Like in Dallas.Any one come on here debating about well Bankheads there or Peachtree,well show me why speak of these places quit saying well theycompare to areas of Dallas because thats a lie.
Why must you always repeat those same tired lines trying to dog Atlanta out? For once, can't you just be mature enough to answer the question at hand without trying to pick a fight?

School's out and ALL the teenyboppers just come out swinging. GEEEEEESH!!!!

And here's a bit of a geography lesson for you since it seems like you haven't gotten to that subject yet in school: Atlanta is located in the Piedmont which is a heavily forested and somewhat hilly part of the U.S. which explains the abundance of tree cover in the region. Dallas, on the other hand, is in the Plains and the topography is rather flat.

And it appears as though you don't know the difference between Bankhead and Buckhead because trust me, NOBODY is telling anyone around here to go to Bankhead.

I mean, just stop. No, I mean seriously--STOP.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Why must you always repeat those same tired lines trying to dog Atlanta out? For once, can't you just be mature enough to answer the question at hand without trying to pick a fight?

School's out and ALL the teenyboppers just come out swinging. GEEEEEESH!!!!

And here's a bit of a geography lesson for you since it seems like you haven't gotten to that subject yet in school: Atlanta is located in the Piedmont which is a heavily forested and somewhat hilly part of the U.S. which explains the abundance of tree cover in the region. Dallas, on the other hand, is in the Plains and the topography is rather flat.

And it appears as though you don't know the difference between Bankhead and Buckhead because trust me, NOBODY is telling anyone around here to go to Bankhead.

I mean, just stop. No, I mean seriously--STOP.

Really, thanks Ak for calling him on this, plus he needs to go back to school to learn how to complete sentences and watch for grammatical errors as well. That's Texas for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City