Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. Minneapolis
Denver 119 52.19%
Minneapolis 109 47.81%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver has 5 pro sports. MLS is a pro sport, although the big 4 are what most go by.
If you want to throw in the garbage leagues, then the Minneapolis area has 7 professional teams:
Vikings (NFL)
Twins (MLB)
Wild (NHL)
Timberwolves (NBA)
Lynx (WNBA)
Swarm (NLL)
Vixens (IWFL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
Been living in Denver for a year now, from Wisconsin, and just thought I'd chime in and say Denver is absolutely the worst city for food I've ever been to. It's kind of ridiculous, actually. Even by small, 50,000-person hometown in Wisconsin had better food on average than places in and around Denver.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Been living in Denver for a year now, from Wisconsin, and just thought I'd chime in and say Denver is absolutely the worst city for food I've ever been to. It's kind of ridiculous, actually. Even by small, 50,000-person hometown in Wisconsin had better food on average than places in and around Denver.
This made me LOL. I had the same experience when I lived out there a couple years back. Denver probably does have the worst restaurant scene of any big city I've ever been to. IMHO, even Appleton has better restaurants than Denver, and Milwaukee is in another league entirely. There's not even a farmers' market in Denver! Here in Milwaukee, I live within less than a mile of 3 farmers' markets that operate from May until November.

Living in CO for nearly 5 years made me forget how much I love food, and moving back to WI made me realize how much of a foodie paradise WI is. Since moving back, I have actually changed my major from Urban Studies to Culinary Arts.

Now I dare you to your criticisms on the Denver Forum just to see how fast they turn on you. When you live in Denver, you're never allowed to criticize any aspect of the city, no matter how true it is.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
If you want to throw in the garbage leagues, then the Minneapolis area has 7 professional teams:
Vikings (NFL)
Twins (MLB)
Wild (NHL)
Timberwolves (NBA)
Lynx (WNBA)
Swarm (NLL)
Vixens (IWFL)
Including the "garbage leagues" (a term I like ) Denver has 9 professional teams:

Broncos: NFL
Rockies: MLB
Avalanche: NHL
Nuggets: NBA
Rapids: MLS
Dynamite: Arena Soccer
Mammoth: National Lacrosse League
Outlaws: Major League Lacrosse
Crush: Arena Football League

Honestly, I don't even know how some of these teams stay in business. You can't tell me that Arena Soccer has a big audience anywhere in the United States.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Denver, only due to thhe weather. MPLS, IMO, is the bigger city, but I know this Southern boy can't handle the winters.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I go with Denver, but thats not to say that i dont like the Twin Cities.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM

30 posts, read 84,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Which city would you rather live in and why?
Minneapolis!

I am currently "stuck" in Denver, I've lived in Minneapolis for a short time, and I'm in the process of moving back to Minneapolis. I can't wait to get back to Minneapolis, and this time...I'm staying! Denver doesn't impress me at all (aside from the mountain backdrop).

Last edited by Reese30; 02-19-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times
Reasons?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Well I've never been to Minneapolis so I can't say anything. I love Denver though, it's beautiful and has mountains and pretty scenery. Lots to do if you like nature.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:13 PM

30 posts, read 84,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Reasons?
I'm back in Minneapolis for the time being. I've been here (in Minneapolis) since the beginning of April, and my perception of Minneapolis and Denver has changed.

Last June, I moved to Minneapolis, MN for the first time in my entire life. My impression of the city was favorable, but that changed as time went on. December of last year, I moved from Minneapolis to Denver. While I was in Denver, I started to miss Minneapolis (the beautiful architecture, the dense/urban neighborhoods, the more sophisticated/cosmopolitan vibe, the "greenery," the neat highway system, the bodies of water, the numerous live theaters, independent coffee shops, and so forth). Denver had most (if not all) of those things, but to a lesser extent. So I moved back to Minneapolis.

There are lots of things I like about Minneapolis, and I would definitely build my life here. There is one thing about Minneapolis that bothers me, and has totally changed my attitude toward the city. I'll cut to the chase: Despite all of the good things going on in Minneapolis and the Twin Cities in general, there is a pervasive race problem here. Anecdotal, yes, but that has been my experience here in Minneapolis, and that experience is shared by many other people here that I know. Part of the race issue is understandable, but either way I don't want to be a part of it. There are racist people in every municipality in this country. However, Minneapolis has racial tension that is certainly above average while Denver does not have any "significant" race problems.

Denver does have a significantly better and much more extensive public transportation system than Minneapolis. This difference is quite apparent when commuting out of the city propers and into the more distant suburbs and even outside the metro areas. I understand the previous Winter season in Minnesota was mild, but let's face it--that's not going to happen every year. Denver has reliably mild Winters. Denver is also sunnier than Minneapolis (it was sunny almost every day during my time in Denver, and that was in the Winter time). The mountains are spectacular. There are more communities spread out along the Front Range and throughout the "High Country" that are interesting, whereas in Minnesota it only comes down to the Twin Cities metro and Duluth. Plus, I like the laid-back, causual vibe in Denver and the rest of Colorado.

Based on my own priorities, Denver is a better fit for me than Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City