Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. Minneapolis
Denver 119 52.19%
Minneapolis 109 47.81%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Yes, Mr. Clark we too have a rodeo drive type area called cherry creek with a ton of high end shopping. Also, your OPINION here on C-D about Denver is null and void - you are a well known Denver city basher who is often wrong about the cities' facts. Really, anybody who thinks Minneapolis urban core blows away Denver's hasn’t a clue. Both cities are competitive with each other.
Mall of America trumps Cherry Creek, Park Meadows, or any other mall in the state of Colorado. It has the same exact high-end retail as Cherry Creek plus a whole hell of a lot more.

Quote:
Denver has the second largest performing arts in the world. i looked at your link to the wiki article and their source may be outdated. Nonetheless there are counless sources that back up the claim that Denver has the second largest preforming arts.
Why is your info any more reliable than mine? As far as I'm concerned you have failed to make a convincing argument.

Quote:
There are 55,000 students at the downtown Auraria campus in Denver
Since when does Auraria Campus have 55,000 students? Did they add an additional 20,000 students since we debated Austin vs Denver a week ago?

Why even bother mentioning how many students attend Auraria, when they don't even live on/near the campus?

Quote:
65,000 people live in a 1.5 mile radius of 16th and California
http://www.downtowndenver.com/Econom...sion_Dec08.pdf (broken link)
This link is dead.

Quote:
The Denver Performing Arts Complex (sometimes referred to locally as "The Plex," "the dcpa" or simply, "Denver Center") located in Denver, Colorado, is the second largest performing arts center in the world after New York City's Lincoln Center, and the largest "of its kind" in the Western Hemisphere. The DPAC is a four-block, 12-acre (49,000 m2) site containing ten performance spaces with over 10,000 seats connected by an 80 ft (24 m) tall glass roof. It is home to a Tony Award-winning theatre company, Broadway touring productions, contemporary dance and ballet, magnificent chorales, a major symphony orchestra, internationally-acclaimed opera and more.
Denver Performing Arts Complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Playhouse Square Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denver claims to have the 2nd largest performing arts center in the world after Lincoln Center in NYC. Cleveland claims to have the 2nd largest performing arts complex in the US after Lincoln Center in NYC. Both have over 10,000 seats. Neither provide outside evidence to support their claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,394 times
JJacobclark..the fact that you think high end retail--not Macy's not Bannana Republic-the ULTRA HIGH END is restricted to shopping malls, rather than spread out into more independent districts shows how really clueless you are on the subject..OK Mall of America has more stores and upscale ones than Cherry Creek Mall,.. but compared to the Cherry Creek district as a whole it's dwarfed by the exclusive line stores--the very high end ones. I worked in high end fashion for years both in LA, Denver..and I have been to Minneapolis and seen what they have..DENVER WINS THE HIGH END..Colorado is much more of a play ground for the very affluent than Minnesota is..

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-13-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Mall of America trumps Cherry Creek, Park Meadows, or any other mall in the state of Colorado. It has the same exact high-end retail as Cherry Creek plus a whole hell of a lot more.

Why is your info any more reliable than mine? As far as I'm concerned you have failed to make a convincing argument.

Since when does Auraria Campus have 55,000 students? Did they add an additional 20,000 students since we debated Austin vs Denver a week ago?

Why even bother mentioning how many students attend Auraria, when they don't even live on/near the campus?

This link is dead.

Denver Performing Arts Complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Playhouse Square Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denver claims to have the 2nd largest performing arts center in the world after Lincoln Center in NYC. Cleveland claims to have the 2nd largest performing arts complex in the US after Lincoln Center in NYC. Both have over 10,000 seats. Neither provide outside evidence to support their claims.
Maybe if you did some research instead of trusting your first hit on google you would of got the preformign arts thing correct...

RANKING: Central Business District EMPLOYMENT

1 New York 1,736,900
2 Chicago 541,500
3 Washington 382,400
4 San Francisco-San Jose 305,600
5 Boston 257,000
6 Philadelphia 220,100
7 Seattle 155,100
8 Houston 153,400
9 Los Angeles 143,700
10 Atlanta 129,800
11 Denver 126,000
12 Minneapolis-St. Paul 105,400
13 Cleveland 100,300
14 Baltimore 98,500
15 Miami 98,000
16 Pittsburgh 95,600
17 Columbus 88,800
18 Austin 86,000
19 New Orleans 81,400
20 Dallas-Fort Worth 79,900

www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf.

Denver Performing Arts Complex
About Us

[SIZE=4]WELCOME TO THE DENVER PERFORMING ARTS COMPLEX[/SIZE]

The Denver Performing Arts Complex is the second largest Performing Arts complex in the United States, with a total of nine theatres/performing spaces and over 10,000 seats. The City and County of Denver's - Theatres and Arenas Division owns and operates the three largest theatres in the Complex: THE ELLIE CAULKINS OPERA HOUSE IN NEWTON AUDITORIUM, BOETTCHER CONCERT HALL and the TEMPLE HOYNE BUELL THEATRE. The Auditorium Theatre was built in 1907 and is a Colorado Historical Landmark. The Ellie Caulkins Opera House is a world-class acoustical hall designed in the lyric style.
Denver Performing Arts Complex - About Us

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM

""Since when does Auraria Campus have 55,000 students? Did they add an additional 20,000 students since we debated Austin vs Denver a week ago?"""

Nope my figure was outdated then. I recently got that link from some folks involved in urban development. The study was done in 2008 of june I think and reflected 55,450 students attending the downtown campus.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Here is another article citing denver having the second largest after MYC (note the source is from Miami)

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, commonly called The Arsht Center, is Miami's largest performing arts center and is located on Biscayne Boulevard in Downtown Miami, Florida, USA. It is the third-largest performing arts center in the United States, after the Lincoln Center in New York City and the Denver Performing Arts Center in Denver.[1]
Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
JJacobclark..the fact that you think high end retail--not Macy's not Bannana Republic-the ULTRA HIGH END is restricted to shopping malls, rather than spread out into more independent districts shows how really clueless you are on the subject..OK Mall of America has more stores and upscale ones than Cherry Creek Mall,.. but compared to the Cherry Creek district as a whole it's dwarfed by the exclusive line stores--the very high end ones. I worked in high end fashion for years both in LA, Denver..and I have been to Minneapolis and seen what they have..DENVER WINS THE HIGH END..Colorado is much more of a play ground for the very affluent than Minnesota is..
Denver and Colorado in general beats Minneapolis hands down every time. And like you stated, the affluent would much rather spend time and even shop in Denver.

Theres just a lot more going on in the Denver area period compared to Minneapolis. Plus the skiing rocks, still not as good as whistler

Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Here's another

""The Denver Performing Arts Complex, or simply “the Plex,” is said to be the second-largest performing arts center in the world, after New York’s Lincoln Center""

Read more: U.S. Cities Reflect Cultural Diversity, Artistic Ingenuity - http://usinfo.americancorner.org.tw/st/arts-english/2007/December/20071213194500GLnesnoM0.4935419.html#ixzz0CbgCtSjb

Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,311 times
uhhm vail trumps whistler
unless you like sticky snow...

Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM

For the record, I think Minneapolis is a great city and was my second choice after Denver.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
Quote:
JJacobclark..the fact that you think high end retail--not Macy's not Bannana Republic-the ULTRA HIGH END is restricted to shopping malls, rather than spread out into more independent districts shows how really clueless you are on the subject..
You Denverites are always jumping to conclusions and putting words in people's mouths. First, when did I ever say that "ultra high-end" shopping is restricted to shopping malls???

Second, just because LA has Rodeo Drive and Denver has Cherry Creek North doesn't mean that outdoor shopping districts are the norm for "ultra high-end" retail. Ever hear of Phipps Plaza (Atlanta) or the Galleria (Houston)? Those are enclosed shopping malls that feature stores like Barney's, Armani, Valentino, Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Versace, Tiffany & Co., Saks Fifth Avenue, Prada, Dolce & Gabanna, Christian Dior, Chanel, Fendi, and Louis Vuitton.

Quote:
OK Mall of America has more stores and upscale ones than Cherry Creek Mall,.. but compared to the Cherry Creek district as a whole it's dwarfed by the exclusive line stores--the very high end ones. I worked in high end fashion for years both in LA, Denver..and I have been to Minneapolis and seen what they have..DENVER WINS THE HIGH END..Colorado is much more of a play ground for the very affluent than Minnesota is..
You are so full of sh*t. Can you name a single one of these "ultra high-end" boutiques that are missing in Minneapolis? What exactly constitutes "ultra high-end"anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City