U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 AM
 
330 posts, read 585,327 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

I'm a big basketball fan, and in either city I'd have to go a couple hundred miles just to attend an NBA game. Booo....to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 AM
 
965 posts, read 1,377,593 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Does the city of Seattle really get all this media attention or is it the corporations that are based here? I lived in a few U.S. big cities and I can honestly say I love living here in Seattle. Its not all about the breathtaking natural beauty but believe me it DOES play a good part of why I love living here. But along with that comes great interesting neighborhoods, easy to get around, mildly safe, great abundance of local restaurants, walkable, green, great festivals, including some of the best jazz of anywhere in the U.S.(I'm a jazz buff) Seattle is not all about grunge. The short weekend getaways to cool places like the San Juan Islands, Port Townsend, Victoria, Vancouver and Whistler B.C., Portland. Its also nice to take a ferry ride once in awhile over to Bainbridge or Whidbey Island. Every big city has its fair share of the nice amenities but Seattle is my kind of town.

Nice pics of Pittsburgh btw.
Not all of it's media attention. I think the Seattle has some great qualities and is a good city. I just think, that the media ignores places like Pittsburgh, that have made a tremendous effort, especially after seeing the cities main industry collapse. It has a good music scene, safe, walkable, has a bunch of local shops, restaurants and good transit. It is also one of the most affordable cities in the country.

I think a large part of Seattle's growth versus Pittsburgh is based on misconception by the media. In a way I think it's sort of a catch-22. Pittsburgh can't brag about population growth like Seattle because in part because of the media, but at the same time, the media can't really say Pittsburgh is this booming place, because of the population decline. People aren't trying to go there, because the media isn't reporting growth, people are interested in living there. I hope that changes soon, because I think Pittsburgh has a lot of potential.

Also Pittsburgh, isn't that isolated as some people are saying. It's within a few hours of Cleveland, DC, Baltimore, and Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
 
233 posts, read 668,194 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Not all of it's media attention. I think the Seattle has some great qualities and is a good city. I just think, that the media ignores places like Pittsburgh, that have made a tremendous effort, especially after seeing the cities main industry collapse. It has a good music scene, safe, walkable, has a bunch of local shops, restaurants and good transit. It is also one of the most affordable cities in the country.

I think a large part of Seattle's growth versus Pittsburgh is based on misconception by the media. In a way I think it's sort of a catch-22. Pittsburgh can't brag about population growth like Seattle because in part because of the media, but at the same time, the media can't really say Pittsburgh is this booming place, because of the population decline. People aren't trying to go there, because the media isn't reporting growth, people are interested in living there. I hope that changes soon, because I think Pittsburgh has a lot of potential.

Also Pittsburgh, isn't that isolated as some people are saying. It's within a few hours of Cleveland, DC, Baltimore, and Philly.
Okay I'll agree that media attention helps any city, but that is not the major reason people move to Seattle. If it is, you are pretty easily led and would move anywhere based on the nightly news. Austin, Vancouver, Portland, S.F. etc..are all media darlings. I came here from the time I was little to visit family and loved it. Later after high school a friend moved here and I came to visit her 3 times before I moved. I fell in love with this city. It had nothing to do with it being popular. It was the air, the water, the people, the shops, the all around culture of the place that just fit me. I am sure Pittsburgh is a great place and I would love to visit, but if you think about it, Pittsburgh already had a day in the sun when nobody was even aware of Seattle. It was a booming city with media attention 100 years before Seattle. Things changed, it doesn't mean they won't change again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
 
5,805 posts, read 8,341,198 times
Reputation: 3051
The problem with Pittsburgh and Population -

- Is that it's Over 40 population is Very NON Transisent couple that with the elderly population here make Pittsburgh one of the least Transisent Cities.

- The Under 30 Population are Very Transisent once these youngster become of age they move away to go to college or new career or whatever, and that NOT a Problem..I encourage Natives to leave and explore. Believe it or not it makes them want to come back all the more afterwards, but the kicker is being able to find work.

- And finally the Big reason...Pittsburgh get little to NO exposure to the outside, no one knows what the Hell is in Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh's biggest exposure is the Steelers, everyone in the mother knows of the Steelers when you say Pittsburgh. This is another reason People are in such AWE when the decend on the city for the 1st time...It really is the Land of OZ. Pittsburgh as a very successful film office, but it sucks at getting the Studios/Producers to Play Pittsburgh for Pittsburgh and not somewhere else, or making Pittsburgh look like it's the 80's in some of the settings you see in the Movie.

I think the preception of Pittsburgh is starting to change, when I tell people that I'm from Pittsburgh here in NY, 1st thing out their mouths used to be "How bout them Steelers", now recently it more "Pittsburgh has alot of Jobs I hear?" "I hear Pittsburgh cost of Renting is Amazing?" "I heard Pittsburgh Downtown is georgous at night" etc, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Boston Metro
1,994 posts, read 5,081,035 times
Reputation: 1829
I think the city for you would probably be Seattle,WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
 
965 posts, read 1,377,593 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Okay I'll agree that media attention helps any city, but that is not the major reason people move to Seattle. If it is, you are pretty easily led and would move anywhere based on the nightly news. Austin, Vancouver, Portland, S.F. etc..are all media darlings . I came here from the time I was little to visit family and loved it. Later after high school a friend moved here and I came to visit her 3 times before I moved. I fell in love with this city. It had nothing to do with it being popular. It was the air, the water, the people, the shops, the all around culture of the place that just fit me. I am sure Pittsburgh is a great place and I would love to visit, but if you think about it, Pittsburgh already had a day in the sun when nobody was even aware of Seattle. It was a booming city with media attention 100 years before Seattle. Things changed, it doesn't mean they won't change again.
Those places are booming too thanks in part to the media. People are easily led to like stuff because it's "in" or "cool", so this shouldn't be a shock. Just look at our culture. People go out and spend money on clothes, fashion, and technology a lot of times just because of marketing and advertisements. You even see it on CD forums where people won't research a city and say they want to move there because they heard it was "hip and cool", or "progressive". Like I said before, I honestly think Pittsburgh, would probably boom if it was on Forbes and Money Magazine list, every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,113,133 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Those places are booming too thanks in part to the media. People are easily led to like stuff because it's "in" or "cool", so this shouldn't be a shock. Just look at our culture. People go out and spend money on clothes, fashion, and technology a lot of times just because of marketing and advertisements. You even see it on CD forums where people won't research a city and say they want to move there because they heard it was "hip and cool", or "progressive". Like I said before, I honestly think Pittsburgh, would probably boom if it was on Forbes and Money Magazine list, every year.
I wish I had more rep to give.

Although I think Pittsburgh is on the upswing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
 
233 posts, read 668,194 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Those places are booming too thanks in part to the media. People are easily led to like stuff because it's "in" or "cool", so this shouldn't be a shock. Just look at our culture. People go out and spend money on clothes, fashion, and technology a lot of times just because of marketing and advertisements. You even see it on CD forums where people won't research a city and say they want to move there because they heard it was "hip and cool", or "progressive". Like I said before, I honestly think Pittsburgh, would probably boom if it was on Forbes and Money Magazine list, every year.
Why exactly do you want the media attention? If you like your city and all it offers, then what's so important about the media attention? You want more people to move there and ruin it's affordability, increase traffic and pollution. A better city economy has its benefits but I can tell you this, a lot of people in Seattle wish there was less attention paid to the city for all of these reasons. Thank God we have gloomy winters here to weed out the sun worshippers or we'd be in big trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,720 posts, read 34,841,252 times
Reputation: 9266
I think it is better without the attention as well.

It would just drive prices up in Pittsburgh, and everyone who has any talent or experience in anything, will immediately go there and take the jobs you hope to get with their better qualifications, etc.

There is a certain beauty to being in a great place that no one knows about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,113,133 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it is better without the attention as well.

It would just drive prices up in Pittsburgh, and everyone who has any talent or experience in anything, will immediately go there and take the jobs you hope to get with their better qualifications, etc.

There is a certain beauty to being in a great place that no one knows about.
I agree, too. If you live in (or especially, are from) Seattle or Portland, you're familiar with people talking about how great things were "15 or 20 years ago". That's where Pittsburgh is now, and I'd love it to stay that way since it's one of the best-kept secrets in the East. On the other hand, it would be kind of interesting to watch it become the next cool place to live, and I already own a house so it would definitely benefit me. Either way, Pittsburgh FTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top