U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 PM

692 posts, read 2,372,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I noticed this on other forums too. Why do people from Seattle always act like they live in the greatest place ever and bash other people's towns? Do you guys smell your own farts too?
Naw, too much coffee odor.

Seriously though, do people still believe that Internet posters
are a realistic snapshot of regional attitudes ?

I'm not going to try to sell my current location as if to justify
my own decision to live here. That's just smarmy.
I would be glad to give an honest opinion to specific questions.
Weather is moderate, city is liberal, suburbs more moderate, rural more conservative.
Economy is a little stagnate right now, but compared
to others parts of the country who's complaining. We are indeed somewhat
isolated. Maps don't lie. Cost of living is higher on average which is offset
some by higher wages, no state income tax, and very low electric rates.
Public schools are very good ( of course I'm from Chicago - very low bar )
Crime is surprisingly low for a liberal city this size. You'll have to draw your own conclusions as to why.
The arguments as to which city has more to
do seems a little ridiculous to me. There is always something to do.

Now I have never been to Pittsburgh, but looking at a map, a strong
consideration has to be given to it's location. There are obviously more
metros as a fall back option for further relocation opportunities.

My choice between the two would come down to the best job offer
and present location of family. My way of saying I believe Pittsburgh
would be a fine livable city. I know Seattle is. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM

1,572 posts, read 5,508,116 times
Well, they are both cities with lot of hills and waterways. Seattle has far more scenic beauty in the surrounding areas (Mt. Ranier, the Olympic Mountains, etc), but you are going to have more cloudy/drizzly days in Seattle than Pittsburgh. The big differential is cost. Seattle is a LOT more expensive in terms of buying a house than Pittsburgh. There are probably good law enforcement opportunities in both cities, but Seattle probably has more jobs given its larger metro size. That said, your law enforcement salary is going to go a lot further in Steeltown than the Emerald City.

Oh, and Pittsburgh has the better football team. Especially this year!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 PM

134 posts, read 498,155 times
I always wondered why people comment on Seattle's gloominess being so bad.

Compared to Pittsburgh:

Clear days Seattle-71
Pitt-58

Rainy Days Seattle-150
Pitt-153

Not to mention Pittsburgh is much colder.

Stats from

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Seattle, Washington, United States of America
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Old 01-12-2009, 09:48 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Both are nice cities so let's compare

Weather: tie

People: Pittsburgh (less elitist and more friendly)
Culture: Pittsburgh by a thin margin
Outdoor activities: Seattle by a small margin
Traffic: tie
Close to other desirable places: Pittsburgh, easily
Topography: Seattle by a small margin
Nightlife: tie
Job Market: Seattle by a small margin
University scene: Pittsburgh
Downtown vibrancy: Seattle by a little bit
Cost of living: Pittsburgh

Overall, I like both cities alot, but Pittsburgh better. I would choose Pittsburgh in a heartbeat.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,440,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Both are nice cities so let's compare

Weather: tie

People: Pittsburgh (less elitist and more friendly)
Culture: Pittsburgh by a thin margin
Outdoor activities: Seattle by a small margin
Traffic: tie
Close to other desirable places: Pittsburgh, easily
Topography: Seattle by a small margin
Nightlife: tie
Job Market: Seattle by a small margin
University scene: Pittsburgh
Downtown vibrancy: Seattle by a little bit
Cost of living: Pittsburgh

Overall, I like both cities alot, but Pittsburgh better. I would choose Pittsburgh in a heartbeat.
I agree with your conclusion, but I think Seattle beats Pittsburgh significantly in outdoor activities, nightlife and job market. However, I'd have to tack on a clear victory to Pittsburgh for architecture.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I agree with your conclusion, but I think Seattle beats Pittsburgh significantly in outdoor activities, nightlife and job market. However, I'd have to tack on a clear victory to Pittsburgh for architecture.
I am more a fan of the blue collar type bars and regular people type places I went to in the South side area of Pittsburgh so that is where I gave Pittsburgh the edge in nightlife. I agree on the architechture too now that you mention it.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM

784 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Pittsburgh Vs Seattle

I have lived in Pittsburgh and have visited Seattle. This is how I would honestly compare them:

Nightlife--No brainer. Seattle by far. Pitts nightlife was not very interesting.

Skyline--Although Pitts is very nice. Seattle's is just much bigger. Both are nice, but the edge to Seattle.

Food--Seattle by far. Pitt has the smallest restaurant scene for a city its size. Unless you like Primanti's (they put cole slaw and fries over meat, yuck) there really isn't much. There are very few high and low end restaurants in Pitt. One of the things I disliked most about Pitt. Even Buffalo, I lived there to, was much better than Pitt as far as food goes. Grocery stores Pitt has Giant Eagle, and Giant Eagle. Thats it. NO variety.

Best city for outdoor--I'd have to pick Seattle. Pitt has hills outside their city lines. Seattle has mountains.

Landscape--While Pitt's landscape is very appealing. One of the nicest if not nicest natural settings on the east coast. The same could be said for Seattle. Seattle is second to Sf and Pitt is third to both of them. Many refer to Pitt as the east coast SF.

Bridges--no contest Pittsburgh. Some of the nicest bridges with the exception of San Fran and NYC of any city in america

Neighborhoods--I'd give the slight edge to Pitt, but more stores and novelty shops in Seatlle. Pitts look nicer because of the age of their architect but more to do in Seattle

Sports--Pittsburgh by a mile

Museums, art festivals, etc--I'd have to give Pitt the edge here, but havent seen enough of Seattles.

Friendliness--I would go with Seattle. I could be wrong because I didn't live their but Seattle seemed friendly. I thought Pittsburghers were some of the coldest, most stuck up people of any city I have ever been let alone lived in. Very unfriendly city. Racial tensions between black and whites was high. Still very segregated in the attitudes. Singles scene maybe the worst of all big cities. Every year Pitt ranks last or second to last for singles. I agree with that assessment. I couldn't believe how stuffy people were. People assume Pittsburghers are friendly because they think old steel town. Not the case at all. Very opposite. Actually the only people who seemed friendly to me were people in Pittsburgh who were from othe places. Odd.

Architecture--No brainer, Pittsburgh, but Seattles is nice to

More gothic style churches and cemetaries--Pitt by far. Very cool looking churches and cemetaries.

Weather--Actually about the same. Believe it or not, it rains a lot in Pitt and it seems cloudy a lot.

Colleges--Have to go with Pitt here.

Proximity to other cities--Both are a bit away from othe places.

Thats all I can think of for now. Please Yinzers dont hate me for my honesty. Pitt could use some more high end jobs as well as friendly etiquette if it wants to compete with other high esteemed places.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,440,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post

Thats all I can think of for now. Please Yinzers dont hate me for my honesty. Pitt could use some more high end jobs as well as friendly etiquette if it wants to compete with other high esteemed places.
Just curious: you give Landscape/Bridges, Neighborhoods, Sports, Museums/Festivals, Architecture and Colleges to Pittsburgh, but then insinuate that it can't compete...what's up with that?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

281 posts, read 529,124 times
Quote:
Just curious: you give Lancscaper/Bridges, Neighborhoods, Sports, Museums/Festivals, Architecture and Colleges to Pittsburgh, but then insinuate that it can't compete...what's up with that?
Read that dude's post history. I think he smokes crack or something.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM

784 posts, read 2,009,537 times
Quote:
Just curious: you give Landscape/Bridges, Neighborhoods, Sports, Museums/Festivals, Architecture and Colleges to Pittsburgh, but then insinuate that it can't compete...what's up with that?

Having nicer bridges and a little bit nicer architecturally designed neighborhoods doesn't equate to everything for a city. I also said that Seattle had much more within their neighborhoods.

As far as colleges, that really has very little to do with what a big city will have to offer.

Everything that matters the most, almost goes to Seattle.

Now I know you love your city, as I've seen that you have defended it on here against any who would dare speak out against it.

However, I am not just a visiter. I have lived their to, and It just was not that exciting for me. I was severely let down. I thought Buffalo (a smaller city) was a much more exciting city and with more things to do. I thought I was being very fair in my assessment of it. Truth be told, I probably rated Pitt a bit higher than I should have. The things that I rated Pitt higher overall arent really that significant.
How many people have you heard say that they moved to Pitt for the style of their bridges or for their cememtaries? Exactly my point.

Pitt really doesn't compare to Seattle. Thats just my honest opinion. I wish I could say otherwise, but I am being true to myself. I would rather live in Seattle anyday than Pitt.

And as far as my assessment of the types of people you will find in Pittsburgh, I will never change that. They are snobby and stuck up and you couldn't pay me enough to live in that city again.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 01-13-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or