U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM

701 posts, read 1,711,156 times

Advertisements

State where you'd relocate to if you were a mid-20's guy discharging from military, wanting t0 go back to school on the GI bill and ultimately looking to go into law enforcement.

Just debating early on where I want to end after a little under two years.

I'm not really going to list what I'm looking for in a city, but would like to see what others think and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM

351 posts, read 521,054 times
I would go to Pittsburgh. It's a much more soulful city.

Seattle, probably because of it's location tucked away in the corner of the country, has a sort of creepy vibe. Too many lattes, too much rain, and too much isolation makes that place odd.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,446,005 times
It certainly depends on what you like.

Pittsburgh is an old Victorian city with a rowhouse-filled core encircled with Georgian and Victorian mansions (in the nicer neighborhoods!) The structure of the city has very dense pockets of urbanization surrounded by forests and hills. The economy is no longer dependent on industry, but is largely focused on education, health care and technology. It has about 2.4 million people in its metropolitan area. Pittsburgh has excellent museums, parks, and sports teams (including NHL, NFL, and MLB, but hopefully you don't like baseball!) Cheap everything, though more urban plight. It is certainly a more family-oriented city as you won't find too many all-night parties (though you can if really want to), and was named, yet again, most livable city.

Seattle, while I've been there, I don't know as much about. It is a much more modern city. It is more socially liberal. Seattle, though not terribly diverse demographically is more cosmopolitan than Pittsburgh. It has a metropolitan area of about 3.3 million. It has a better, growing economy, but with much higher housing prices. The area features the Puget Sound as well as the Cascade Mountains (which have peaks over 14,000 feet).

Both cities are very cloudy and have great skylines.

Last edited by ainulinale; 01-12-2009 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM

86 posts, read 302,400 times
go to seattle.

the police department here is always hiring, they even had billboards in chicago and new york because our law enforcement has better wages. also the university of washington has a good law enforcement program. theres alot more to do here and we have the military bases close to seattle if you wanted to get back on base for some reason.

as for the rain, yeah i know we just made national news for flooding, but they just showed the 10 day forecast on the news and it showed sunshine everyday and temps in the mid 50's [thats winter here], compare that to pittsburgh's 10 day forecast where it says its going to be in the teens and snow. our summers are the most gorgeous and sunny/warm.

yeah our cost of living is high, but if law enforcement doesnt work out for you, washington state averages the highest minimum wage in the united states [$8.57 an hour].

you're centrally located. meaning, drive a couple hours north, you're in canada, drive a couple hours south, you're in oregon [no sales tax for shopping], drive a couple hours west, you're on the washington coast [long beach, washington is the longest beach in the country], drive about an hour east and you're in the mountains and you can ski and snowboard, drive a couple more hours east of that, you're in the desert.

if i were you, i'd move to the seattle area.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,446,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post

you're centrally located. meaning, drive a couple hours north, you're in canada, drive a couple hours south, you're in oregon [no sales tax for shopping], drive a couple hours west, you're on the washington coast [long beach, washington is the longest beach in the country], drive about an hour east and you're in the mountains and you can ski and snowboard, drive a couple more hours east of that, you're in the desert.

if i were you, i'd move to the seattle area.
Yeah, and Pittsburgh is a 6 hour drive or less to:

New York City
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Toronto
Baltimore
Detroit
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Buffalo/Niagara Falls
Lake Erie
Upstate NY
Poconos
West Virginia
Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic Ocean

Let me also say that there isn't "a lot more to do" in Seattle

Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,254,582 times
Both cities are awesome, but very different. It just depends on what you want.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 AM

5,259 posts, read 12,576,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Yeah, and Pittsburgh is a 6 hour drive or less to:

New York City
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Toronto
Baltimore
Detroit
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Buffalo/Niagara Falls
Lake Erie
Upstate NY
Poconos
West Virginia
Chesapeake Bay/Atlantic Ocean

Let me also say that there isn't "a lot more to do" in Seattle
For law enforcement I would definately pick Seattle. Comparing the 2 cities I would pick Seattle by a long shot. I lived on the east coast. Never again. Besides NY, Toronto, D.C. and maybe Philly, I'd rather be closer to Vancouver B.C., Whistler, San Francisco, Portland, the San Juan Islands, whale watching, some of the best skiing in the world, endless natural beauty, the coast and so much more.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM

963 posts, read 1,373,676 times
Both are good cities IMO. I love how both have good architecture and built on hills around water. Both are good if you like the outdoors. Pittsburgh beats Seattle when it comes to cost of living, but Seattle has more job opportunities and is growing. I think Pittsburgh will eventually rebound, because it's a hidden gem that's often overlooked by those "Best Places to Live magazines".

Pittsburgh is also within more close proximity to other locations, although Seattle isn't far from cities like Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR, which are gems to themselves. Seattle is also closer to more national parks, like North Cascades and Olympic. Seattle has a more moderate climate. Traffic is a lot worse in Seattle (at least when I was there) and Pittsburgh seems to have better options when it comes to getting around.

If I were you, I would try one for a few years and then move to the other, lol.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,772,836 times
i haven't been to either, but they seem like entirely different types of cities...

as already mentioned....seattle seems more of a modern city and pitt more of a historical city.

both have great skylines

i'll give the sports edge to pitt though...

Last edited by john_starks; 01-12-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,231,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
I would go to Pittsburgh. It's a much more soulful city.

Seattle, probably because of it's location tucked away in the corner of the country, has a sort of creepy vibe. Too many lattes, too much rain, and too much isolation makes that place odd.
Don't forget the serial killers! Too many yuppies, too.

I'd choose Pittsburgh because of the history, housing stock, it's cheaper to live in, and is in close proximity to many, many other good cities. They're making a comeback, so I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or