Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,386 times

Advertisements

Soccer: DC (or LA)
Pro Football: DC, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Oakland
Baseball: New York, Boston
Hockey: Canada (oh yeah that's a country)
Basketball: New York, LA

College Football: any deep South city between Texas and Georgia
College Basketball: North Carolina, despite the gross lack of skill of any team wearing blue
Lacrosse: Maryland and only Maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 03:44 PM

497 posts, read 503,879 times
Worst Sports city goes to: Milwaukee

Best Sports City goes to: Boston (let's be honest! Pats' Bruins, Red Soxs and Celtics)

Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,391,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Worst Sports city goes to: Milwaukee

Best Sports City goes to: Boston (let's be honest! Pats' Bruins, Red Soxs and Celtics)
Obviously I agree with Boston being the best sports city ... but Milwaukee seems to be a good sports city...far from the worst!

Not to pick on Phoenix, but they don't to seem to have a strong sports culture. I think it may be related to the high number of transplants from other parts of the country. I feel like other high-growth cities like Houston and Dallas always had a good amount of local supporters, so they've got a good sports culture (Dallas moreso than Houston).

Charlotte seems to have a very mediocre fanbase to go along with its mediocre teams.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,605,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Soccer: DC (or LA)
Pro Football: DC, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Oakland
Baseball: New York, Boston
Hockey: Canada (oh yeah that's a country)
Basketball: New York, LA

College Football: any deep South city between Texas and Georgia
College Basketball: North Carolina, despite the gross lack of skill of any team wearing blue
Lacrosse: Maryland and only Maryland
I disagree with almost everything you said. LOL

Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,666,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Obviously I agree with Boston being the best sports city ... but Milwaukee seems to be a good sports city...far from the worst!

Not to pick on Phoenix, but they don't to seem to have a strong sports culture. I think it may be related to the high number of transplants from other parts of the country. I feel like other high-growth cities like Houston and Dallas always had a good amount of local supporters, so they've got a good sports culture (Dallas moreso than Houston).

Charlotte seems to have a very mediocre fanbase to go along with its mediocre teams.
What I found amusing was last night's hockey game between the Coyotes and the Red Wings: the arena had more Red Wings jerseys than Coyotes. You see that down here, in the Phoenix area, and in New Mexico, where I am from. Most every one is from somewhere else, so the rooting interests gravitate towards teams that have stronger and more historical sports cultures. Invariably, that translates into teams from the northeast and the midwest.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What I found amusing was last night's hockey game between the Coyotes and the Red Wings: the arena had more Red Wings jerseys than Coyotes. You see that down here, in the Phoenix area, and in New Mexico, where I am from. Most every one is from somewhere else, so the rooting interests gravitate towards teams that have stronger and more historical sports cultures. Invariably, that translates into teams from the northeast and the midwest.
True. I wonder if it's due to the past ties of the family, or just an outsider wanting to be a part of a "tradition".

Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,503,077 times
Boston---
the Celtics.... the best team in NBA history... (and I'm a Lakers fan)
Red Sox... one of the top teams in baseball (currently and historically)
the Patriots... The coyboys are the most popular team, but the Pats have been the most consistantly better team in the NFL

No other city comes close Boston has it...

Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,666,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
True. I wonder if it's due to the past ties of the family, or just an outsider wanting to be a part of a "tradition".
I think it has more to do with people from those places relocating here. For instance, if I went to Phoenix to catch the Cardinals playing the Giants, you'd best bet I'd be outfitted with my Giants jersey and full regalia. And I wouldn't be alone. It has to do with population trends. More people native to the NYC area relocate to Phoenix, than more natives to the Phoenix area relocating to NYC. I think it really is that simple.

That said, I remember about 10 years ago, in Boston, being in a sports bar near Fenway Park. There was a caboose that appended to that bar. And on football Saturdays, that caboose was a meeting ground reserved for...... Florida Gators football alum. So I guess you never can really pinpoint it.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think it has more to do with people from those places relocating here. For instance, if I went to Phoenix to catch the Cardinals playing the Giants, you'd best bet I'd be outfitted with my Giants jersey and full regalia. And I wouldn't be alone. It has to do with population trends. More people native to the NYC area relocate to Phoenix, than more natives to the Phoenix area relocating to NYC. I think it really is that simple.

That said, I remember about 10 years ago, in Boston, being in a sports bar near Fenway Park. There was a caboose that appended to that bar. And on football Saturdays, that caboose was a meeting ground reserved for...... Florida Gators football alum. So I guess you never can really pinpoint it.
True. On Saturdays in the Fall, alumni from my school (Clemson) rent out Game On, right next to Fenway Park...so I guess it more has to do with a person's past than wanting to be apart of tradition...though there are plenty of bandwagon-fans out there. Unfortunately, after 2004 the Red Sox won the World Series everyone across the country decided to join in on the fun.

I remember my an ex of mine from NC had a Facebook picture of her wearing a Yankees hat...but then after the 2007 WS win for the Sox she sent me a message saying "Yay, we won!" .... I was like..wtf?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM

128 posts, read 271,976 times
For football, Dallas and Pittsburgh come to mind for fans and Indianapolis comes to mind as well, but more just because the Colts are good.

An earlier post says sports are big in Houston, but Houston is a strange case. Actually Texas in general is strange, because the Cowboys are big in Dallas, the Astros are big in Houston and the Spurs are big in San Antonio and Austin. Obviously there are a lot of fans of the other teams, but it definitely feels like each city has secretly picked a sport to be slightly better fans of, and these three teams seem to have more fans outside of the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City