U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM

5,377 posts, read 7,667,152 times

Advertisements

Denvers just a true sports town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,989,566 times
L.A. is the worst Sports town for not supporting the 2 NFL teams they had with the Raiders and the Rams

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 PM

44 posts, read 74,519 times
Best: Boston-has consistent winning teams and a passionate fan-base. Cleveland also has impressive loyalty.

Worst: Atlanta. Recently lost NHL team to Winnipeg and the Braves' failure to sell out playoff games in the past is inexcusable(and, in my opinion, grounds for relocation). Too much emphasis on college football and not enough on professional sports.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM

613 posts, read 1,966,684 times
Quote:
To generalize a bit, older cities in the Northeast and Midwest tend to be the best pro sports cities: Chicago, Boston, New York, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc. Most of those cities have had their teams a very long time.
Very true. In some of these cities, fans can easily say that their great-granddaddy's granddaddy was a fan. Multi-generational loyalty creates a very passionate and loyal fanbase. These are the cities that have original or at least very teams from all the leagues.

I'm in Boston and they definitely get 'em young. it seems like every baby (boy or girl) sports a team onesie. I think a Red Sox onesie is mandatory issue when Mom leaves the hospital.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Best: Boston

Worst: Atlanta

Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,989,566 times
L.A. is the Bandwagon Capital of the World, Fairweater fan Capital of the World

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM

229 posts, read 375,105 times
Best Would have to be tied with Chicago/Boston,

For example the Cubs 103 years and still counting. Losing season and currently in a rebuilding process. But that's okay because wrigley field is sold out all the time.
The White Sox also won a world series couple years back.

Boston, well they have many reasons for being fans right now.

Worst fans
Miami, seems like the only sports team they support down there are the dolphins.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,925,995 times
I agree that Atlanta fans are THE WORST.

The Best:
Chicago or Boston.

The Most flip-flopping:
New York
They'll claim to be fans of a different team if NY teams suck, but when they're good, they suddenly claim to have always been die-hard fans...

The Worst:
Atlanta followed by Washington DC
(the only 2 places I know where it seems there are more fans of the hometeams enemies than of the hometeams)

Old 09-03-2011, 11:44 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,493,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The major issue going on here is the former owner - Bill Wirtz. The man was known for being stubborn and frugal. He wouldn't allow any Blackhawks games to be shown on local Chicago TV because he thought it was unfair to ticket holders. Then he jacked up the price of a ticket by a ton of money, and hardly marketed the team at all. Wouldn't pair up for media events with other teams, didn't participate in anything, didn't hold fan conventions.

He basically wanted it to be an old school type event where people have to love the Hawks to love the Hawks and should show up to an intimate game with no TV or flashy lights.

Then he died in 2007, and notice what happened with the attendance. His son took over, started doing fan conventions, marketed the hell out of the team, brought in new players, paired the team up for media events with the Cubs and Sox, they played the classic at Wrigley and he put all the games on local TV.

Boom. Instant fan base. Certainly helped by the Cup win in 2010. I found it quite amazing. I honestly couldn't have told you in 2008 that Chicago really had a hockey team because the owner practically tried to keep it a secret. The past two years the Blackhawks have been everywhere, and everyone seems to really love them. I watch the games, I went to the ticker tape parade and I've actually been to a few games, I cheered them as they took the cup down the gay pride parade.

The Hawks are a unique reference as far as fan bases, Chicago and sports. My dad back in Iowa City was actually commenting on the new life breathed into the team. He use to listen to the games on the radio back in the 60's, but then lost touch with them once TV really took over and they weren't to be found anywhere. Now that they're back on TV - and the games are in HD(! - that's huge as well) he's totally hooked once again. Watches every game.
Yup! I do remember in the opening game of the 2007-08 season (vs the Red Wings) people seemed to pack the stadium just to boo Dollar Bill at his memorial! Here's the video:

Dale Tallon Gives Memorial for Bill Wirtz Blackhawks - YouTube

And don't forget to add this to your argument: the Hawks FAILED to make the playoffs that season but they were getting sell outs late that season despite that... That fact alone should put their base well above most southern hockey markets with ease!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,247,331 times
Philly for sure. 2011 is a year like no other in this town. Watch those Phillies away games, see who is filling those stands (Phillies fans!), we're even contributing to those other city's economies. This year could even be the breakout year for the Sixers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or