U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times

Advertisements

In terms of quality of teams currently, It's tough to argue against Boston, New York, Philly and probably Chicago.

In terms of fans, as someone growing up in the Boston area (an area considered by most to be sports-crazed) I've always admired the passion of Cleveland's fans and Philadelphia's fans.

Places like Boston and Chicago (maybe New York, but loyalty there is split amongst two teams in almost every sport as well as other teams nationwide given the transient nature of the city) are close seconds, but I fully admire the undying passion of Philadelphia and Cleveland's fans and would consider those two places to be the best sports towns in the U.S.

Pittsburgh deserves a nod as their passion for NFL football is unmatched anywhere not named, "Green Bay." If they had a solid baseball fan base and hockey regained popularity (which it could in Pitt with Sid the Kid), they could be among the best. St. Louis deserves an honorable mention- great baseball town.

*Edit* forgot about the "worst." It's a tough call as well. I say San Diego... very little passion. L.A. may not be too far behind and I think would be unanimously the worst if it weren't for the Lakers.

Minnesota (particularly Minneapolis) and Seattle may be the most maligned (Kansas City is in rough shape of late too) cities, but it's not for lack of passion. They've just had terrible luck with teams and ownership/ management recently. My heart goes out to every sports fan in those towns.

Last edited by lrfox; 01-12-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:58 PM

692 posts, read 2,374,097 times
Best: Oakland Raider fans for their fine example of civic behavior.
Who wouldn't want to be knocked out and urinated on ?

Honorable mentions to the Boston fan who ran over Yankee fans.
....and of course my beloved cubbies ( I really do love the cubs )
who go up to Milwaukee to get arrested.

Worst: All the cities that treat their teams as family entertainment venues.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM

341 posts, read 1,199,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Best: Detroit
Worst: Atlanta, IMO. It seemed like no one took pride in ANY of the teams when I was last there.

Most of that is due to the fact that allot of people here are from somewhere else, and the ones who are from here mostly only care about football. But that is changing fast as the younger generation whose parents were born elsewhere but the kids are from here root for anything Atlanta. Not just with sports, but dont be suprised in 10-15 years when Atlantans get that cocky swagger about themselves that NYC people have. With all this rap music here, the younger generation takes pride in any and everything Atlanta

Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

767 posts, read 1,784,417 times
Best Towns : Detroit (hockey - no other franchise or loyal fan base like the Red Wings)
LA (basketball - Lakers and UCLA Bruins are legendary and very well supported)
Chicago, St. Louis, Boston, and NY (baseball - All have dedicated and hardcore
baseball fans. SF might belong on this list too.)
Green Bay, Pittsburg, Dallas, and Boston (football of course and for obvious reasons)

Worst Towns : Basketball (not sure but there are several cities where the NBA
shouldn't be).
Hockey (Ditto)
Baseball (Miami - where the one and only Mariners fan lives- and Pittsburg -
not much better and a pathetic fan showing for a team that has beeen around
forever and has been pretty successful overall during those years)
Football (St. Louis - fair weather fans who complain alot and SF for the same
reason)

Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM

18,238 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Dallas is surprisingly very good for the NHL. Probably the only sunbelt city that brings in pretty good attendance even when the team is struggling. The NHL has been a success down there. Probably because many Canadians, Midwesterners, and even Europeans transplanted to Dallas over the past 20 years. But it has worked.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,423,646 times
Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NYC. A few more that I'm forgetting.
I can go to a game in these cities and see fans go crazy with the stadium filled with fans rooting for the home team.
I've been to other cities with a large opposing team crowd and it was just lame.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,262,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanpatriot View Post
american and sport does not match. americans and eating hot dogs until they puke and pretending to watch a game does occur though.
We eat Hamburgers till we puke. The hot dogs are just for appetizers.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,487,558 times
Cleveland and Philly seem to have the best and most loyal fans.

However they both usually have the unluckiest teams.

Hopefully that will change this year seeing as the Cavs are in 1st place in the entire NBA, and looking for a championship this year.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM

7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanpatriot View Post
american and sport does not match. americans and eating hot dogs until they puke and pretending to watch a game does occur though.

Don't forget we all drive around in our big SUVs drink crappy beer and carry guns because we are all exactly alike. We are all very over weight too... And we all make generalizations about people from other countries as well. No one from Europe would ever make generalizations about everyone from another country so it's probably hard to understand right?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM

692 posts, read 2,374,097 times
Quote:
Jealous sven ? At least we don't have to count teeth after
a soccer match. ( no way I'm calling it football )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or