U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 04:10 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,320,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
However the fans other than the Lakers, suck.
That's why LA's secondary team, The Clippers, outdraws many cities with only one team, even though they're terrible. Hell, the Clippers were luring more fans than the CELTICS until the C's got KG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM

8,639 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That's why LA's secondary team, The Clippers, outdraws many cities with only one team, even though they're terrible. Hell, the Clippers were luring more fans than the CELTICS until the C's got KG.
THat's cause LA has 20,000,000 people not 4,500,000

Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM

314 posts, read 333,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the areas with the best sports fans are from cities that haven't won a lot of championships. It's a lot easier to be a fan of a team that wins championships often like the New York Yankees and the Los Angeles Lakers. Why do you think those teams have so many fans all over the country. lol.

I think cities like Buffalo, Philly, and Cleveland have the best sports fans in the country because championships in those cities don't come around that often and yet those teams have so many loyal fans.
Aside from the Bulls era in the 90's as a Chicago Cubs fan I can definately relate.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
THat's cause LA has 20,000,000 people not 4,500,000
Boston's CSA is the 5th largest in the country (7.6 million people). We're not talking about Portland here.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM

8,639 posts, read 8,775,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Boston's CSA is the 5th largest in the country (7.6 million people). We're not talking about Portland here.
and the staples center is Larger than the garden.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
and the staples center is Larger than the garden.
Staples seats 373 more fans for basketball games. Minimal difference.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 PM

167 posts, read 227,793 times
Quote:
However the fans other than the Lakers, suck.
Yeah, okay.

The Clippers (yes, the Clippers) easily outdrew the Celdicks for years until Garnett and Allen joined Pierce. Boston's attendance went from 86% to 100% in one season. The Clippers are the worst franchise in all of sports with the worst owner, and yet they still receive support.

The Dodgers were the first franchise to draw 3 million fans in a single season, and they did that 6 more times before anybody else did. We have not won a single pennant since 1988 and we have the second worst owner in all of sports, yet we are still a very passionate and loyal fanbase. All it took was an above average roster (at best) in 2009 for us to lead the league in attendance.

The Kings have the most viewed website after the Canucks. They also outdrew your Bruins until they started making the playoffs.

Maybe you should do your research before opening your big mouth next time.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yea ok. The latter may be true for the PAC 12.
Fine, top ten. Although top five is debatable.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:01 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,883,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Yeah, okay.

The Clippers (yes, the Clippers) easily outdrew the Celdicks for years until Garnett and Allen joined Pierce. Boston's attendance went from 86% to 100% in one season. The Clippers are the worst franchise in all of sports with the worst owner, and yet they still receive support.

The Dodgers were the first franchise to draw 3 million fans in a single season, and they did that 6 more times before anybody else did. We have not won a single pennant since 1988 and we have the second worst owner in all of sports, yet we are still a very passionate and loyal fanbase. All it took was an above average roster (at best) in 2009 for us to lead the league in attendance.

The Kings have the most viewed website after the Canucks. They also outdrew your Bruins until they started making the playoffs.

Maybe you should do your research before opening your big mouth next time.
in 2009, the dodgers did not even come close to leading the league in percentage of attendance. plus other factors like size of stadium, size of city, how many teams in that city of that sport, transplant population who don't even care about the teams, prices, etc..

i think to judge a fan base based on attendance is flawed. i'm a HUGE capitals fan but have only been to 1 game in ages due to convenience, time, and money. but you bet i'm either watching every game on tv or at least dvr'ing it.

another thing, i've noticed some cities like la seem to go to a baseball game just to do something, be out and socialize on a nice evening. whereas in boston or ny, they're actually taking it personal. i can't back that up of course and i know there are diehards on both sides and fair weather fans on both sides, but it's just something i've noticed in general.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 10-22-2011 at 04:32 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
in 2009, the dodgers did not even come close to leading the league in percentage of attendance. plus other factors like size of stadium, size of city, how many teams in that city of that sport, transplant population who don't even care about the teams, prices, etc..
That's because Dodger Stadium has a seating capacity of 56,000, the highest in the league. The Yankees don't come close either for the same reason. The average stadium has a seating capacity of around 42,000 or so.

And did you forget that LA also has the Angels who, by the way, are also consistently top five in attendance?

Go figure, but LA is the srongest two-team market in terms of attendance.

Quote:
i think to judge a fan base based on attendance is flawed. i'm a HUGE capitals fan but have only been to 1 game in ages due to convenience, time, and money. but you bet i'm either watching every game on tv or at least dvr'ing it.
These are large markets. Plenty of other people have the time and money to actually attend the games.

I myself don't go to a lot of Lakers games because they're so expensive. I do however go to lots of Kings and Dodgers games.

Quote:
another thing, i've noticed some cities like la seem to go to a baseball game just to do something, be out and socialize on a nice evening. whereas in boston or ny, they're actually taking it personal. i can't back that up of course and i know there are diehards on both sides and fair weather fans on both sides, but it's just something i've noticed in general.
If you can't back up a statement, then it's meaningless.

BTW, what you said is grossly inaccurate. The fans at Dodger Stadium are very much into the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or