U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,203,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Warriors fans are actually pretty passionate and do pay attention to what's going on the court. I'm not a Warriors fan but I have been to a ton of games and they have really good fans overall. Have you actually ever been to a game? If so how many?

I've been to a Warriors-Blazers game and Warriors-Suns game. The fans there reminded me of Cubs fans. "Cheer when they tell us to cheer, even though the team just sucks".

And this happens all over the country. It seems if the team is not good, people just show up to get drunk, if they even show up at all. Sometimes just the location can kill the vibe.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 07-02-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I've been to a Warriors-Blazers game and Warriors-Suns game. The fans there reminded me of Cubs fans. "Cheer when they tell us to cheer, even though the team just sucks".
That's a better description for a typical Giants game than a Warriors one.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,203,585 times
Quote:
That's a better description for a typical Giants game than a Warriors one.
I think that type of behavior can be found in any and all fan bases of most sports. Ever talk to one of the 'Euro Cup' fans? Most of those people can't even name one midfielder or striker on the team they are supposidly 'fans' of.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,505,487 times
Quote:
I think people just go to Warriors games to get drunk. No one cares what is happening on the court. You see this all across the country. The team sucks, but it is still something to do and somewhere to be seen.
I now see that responding to you was pointless and a terrible misstep on my part.

Yes paying around a 300% markup on beer is the perfect place to go get drunk!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,150,744 times
Quote:
The fact that there are Raider team stores in LA kind of speaks volumes to how many there are still are in the LA area. The Raiders weren't in the Bay Area when I was growing up until later and many people my age are still Raider fans. Parents a lot of times raise their kids with their sports allegiances. From what I've seen, the fans from LA that go down to SD for Raiders games don't seem all that old, many in their 20's and 30's. Not saying most people in LA are Raiders fans but there presence still seems relatively significant considering how long they have been gone.
According to this site, there are only 4 Raider team stores in the LA area (out of 13 total stores), two of which are in the Inland Empire away from where the bulk of the LA lives. You can't get any more peripheral than Moreno Valley.

Raider Image Store Locator

Universal City (I've actually been to this one, and it's a really really small store)
Montebello
Moreno Valley
Ontario

I'm actually still surprised team stores like this can still survive, given the plethora of sport memorabilia stores that already exist in almost every mall in the United States that have gear from almost any team, not to mention online sales.

I'm just going by what I see here in LA, and IMO the Raider presence nowadays isn't any more seen than any other NFL team. Like you said, 18 years is a real real long time to be gone from an area. You're right in that a lot of sports teams are passed down generation to generation, but given that the bulk of Raider fans ARE really only in their late 20s to early 40s, most of their kids are still too young to have a visible jersey presence on the street.

CommonCensus Hotspot Sports Map
According to sports census, in an 100 mile radius around LA, the 5 most followed NFL teams are

1) San Diego Chargers (93)
2) San Francisco 49ers (82)
3) Oakland Raiders (63)
4) Chicago Bears (47)
5) St. Louis Rams (44)

It's a poor indicator, but this does sort of line up with what I see in real life. Really really split, with a huge chunk of Angelenos really not caring one way or the other.

I will say that the area in California that seems the most loyal to the Raiders seems to be Fresno. No clue why, but when I was there, I saw plenty of Raider fans.

Chances are though the Raiders are going to stay in the Bay Area:
New 49ers stadium set up to be shared with Raiders or... - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

Have fun being the West Meadowlands, haha!

Quote:
I think that type of behavior can be found in any and all fan bases of most sports. Ever talk to one of the 'Euro Cup' fans? Most of those people can't even name one midfielder or striker on the team they are supposidly 'fans' of.

Come World Cup time, you'll see way more Spain/Barcelona/Real Madrid jerseys than you'd ever expect.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,831,677 times
Best
1.Chicago
2.Boston
3.Philadelphia

Worst
1.Miami
2.Phoenix
3.Atlanta

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM

4,835 posts, read 9,778,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Best
1.Chicago
2.Boston
3.Philadelphia

Worst
1.Miami
2.Phoenix
3.Atlanta
I understand why people see Miami as bad, but Atlanta and Phoenix are worse IMO. Teams no were near as successful as Miami's team historically, fans not as good, Atlanta just lost their hockey team. You know your fan base is not that bad when South Florida can keep a hockey team
Heat have never had attendance problems, dolphins only recently but find me a city that would have the horrible management the dolphins had and not struggle. As for the Marlins lets see how next year goes. This year attendance has been pretty decent but we still have the new stadium vibe. Next year I will tell you if we deserve to be 2 or 1 on the worst list because no excuses to not see baseball indoors in Miami for good prices.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM

3,582 posts, read 3,668,958 times
Quote:
Funny, all the fans of the countries involved that I have talked to can list the starting 11 and are fans of club teams from their countries. Heck, even a lot of casual American fans can name multiple players on the teams involved.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 PM

3,582 posts, read 3,668,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I understand why people see Miami as bad, but Atlanta and Phoenix are worse IMO. Teams no were near as successful as Miami's team historically, fans not as good, Atlanta just lost their hockey team. You know your fan base is not that bad when South Florida can keep a hockey team
Heat have never had attendance problems, dolphins only recently but find me a city that would have the horrible management the dolphins had and not struggle. As for the Marlins lets see how next year goes. This year attendance has been pretty decent but we still have the new stadium vibe. Next year I will tell you if we deserve to be 2 or 1 on the worst list because no excuses to not see baseball indoors in Miami for good prices.
It's easier for me as a Patriots fan to see a Pats game down in Miami than it is in Foxboro. It's been that way for the last decade.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM

4,835 posts, read 9,778,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's easier for me as a Patriots fan to see a Pats game down in Miami than it is in Foxboro. It's been that way for the last decade.
Did I say Miami even compares to Boston?? NO. I'm comparing Miami to cities it deserves to be compared to in terms of sports fans.

You can't compare a city that has generations of sports fans to a transient young city. The dolphins were great for decades, the new ownership sucks. A team can thrive in Miami if it has the right ownership as in the Miami Heat. Sports to people in Boston is life, I acknowledge that. To people in Miami is not as important to their daily lives. However, as more and more "life-long" Miami fans grow older and start working etc.. Such as myself you will see a change in Miami sports. Will it be Boston or Chicago? Of course not. But it will improve especially over most sunbelt cities like Atlanta and Phoenix which I think it has already surpassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or